Tips and Tricks for Introducing Solids to Your Baby

Old September 30th 04, 04:58 PM
Gary Hendricks

Default Tips and Tricks for Introducing Solids to Your Baby

Article: Tips and Tricks for Introducing Solids to Your Baby

Helping your child move from breast breast milk or formula
to solids is a milestone for both you and your baby.
However, it can be challenging for some parents. Here are
some tips and tricks I've compiled for introducing solid
foods to your baby. Do remember, however, that you should
follow your pediatrician's advice if you're in doubt.

Start with fruits
One tip I've heard from various is to start with fruits. Use
really ripe bananas, mashed with a fork. Or sweet potatoes
(baked, with the insides scooped out).

Use a baby food grinder
You can try small bits of real rice, mixed with meats
(without seasonings). The meat should be meshed with baby
food grinder (you can find these pretty cheap).

Don't feed your baby directly from the jar
This is an interesting tip I've heard from experienced
mothers. Feeding your baby directly from the jar is not a
good idea. Their saliva can mix with the food and make it
taste bad. Put the food in a mug rather than a bowl so that
you can feed baby more easily.

Keep away the sweet tooth
Try not to give baby sweet stuff at this stage. Deliberately
give them vegetables before fruits to keep away that sweet
tooth.

Wait for the first tooth
It is a good idea to wait until your baby gets his / her
first tooth before even thinking of starting solids. One
baby (I heard) got his first tooth at 5 months and began
showing interest in what his father was eating shortly
thereafter. At about 6 months, he was reaching for his
parents' food.

Starting your baby on solids need not be a difficult task.
Hopefully the above tips will help you somewhat when that
time arrives for your baby.

Gary Hendricks
www.baby-product-guide.com

Old September 30th 04, 05:12 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Gary Hendricks" wrote:

I don't usually read your posts, because they look like a marketing
gimmick. However, the patronizing one about how us clueless women
should talk to our menfolk got my attention, so I decided to read this
one, too.

Just out of curiosity, where do you GET this stuff?

Article: Tips and Tricks for Introducing Solids to Your Baby

Helping your child move from breast breast milk or formula
to solids is a milestone for both you and your baby.
However, it can be challenging for some parents. Here are
some tips and tricks I've compiled for introducing solid
foods to your baby. Do remember, however, that you should
follow your pediatrician's advice if you're in doubt.

Start with fruits
One tip I've heard from various is to start with fruits. Use
really ripe bananas, mashed with a fork. Or sweet potatoes
(baked, with the insides scooped out).

Use a baby food grinder
You can try small bits of real rice, mixed with meats
(without seasonings). The meat should be meshed with baby
food grinder (you can find these pretty cheap).

Forks work, too. And some babies like seasonings.

Don't feed your baby directly from the jar
This is an interesting tip I've heard from experienced
mothers. Feeding your baby directly from the jar is not a
good idea. Their saliva can mix with the food and make it
taste bad. Put the food in a mug rather than a bowl so that
you can feed baby more easily.

This is one of the dumber things you've written. Why on earth would the
food be less likely to mix with saliva when eaten from a mug or bowl
instead of the jar?

Feeding a baby from the jar works just fine -- the only problem is that
you cannot feed them PART of a jar of food directly from the jar, then
return the jar to the fridge for another feeding. Bringing the spoon
back and forth from the mouth to the food introduces bacteria into the
food -- and storing it for a while will allow that bacteria to grow.
It's the same reason you don't drink directly from the milk bottle then
put it back in the fridge, or, even when you live alone, eat directly
out of containers that are going to be stored.

Keep away the sweet tooth
Try not to give baby sweet stuff at this stage. Deliberately
give them vegetables before fruits to keep away that sweet
tooth.

In direct contradiction to your first suggestion, that you give fruits
first. You could at least try for internal consistency in your
suggestions.

Wait for the first tooth
It is a good idea to wait until your baby gets his / her
first tooth before even thinking of starting solids. One
baby (I heard) got his first tooth at 5 months and began
showing interest in what his father was eating shortly
thereafter. At about 6 months, he was reaching for his
parents' food.

The first tooth has nothing to do with readiness to eat solids. MOST
kids start reaching for their parent's food around this age -- actually
they start reaching for everything by this age.

Some babies don't get their first tooth until well past their first
birthday. Surely you aren't suggesting that they wait until then for
solids?

Starting your baby on solids need not be a difficult task.
Hopefully the above tips will help you somewhat when that
time arrives for your baby.

Have you actually raised any children? As in, done most of the feeding,
etc?

Old September 30th 04, 05:36 PM
Tori M.

Use a baby food grinder
You can try small bits of real rice, mixed with meats
(without seasonings). The meat should be meshed with baby
food grinder (you can find these pretty cheap).

Forks work, too. And some babies like seasonings.

I know! Bonnie started eating eggs after I realized she wanted salt and
pepper on them... before that I never even thought to try it... After that I
tried adding seasoning to a few "will not eat foods" and she eats all of
them that are appropriate with salt and peper.

Tori

Old September 30th 04, 05:40 PM
Nan

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:36:04 -0500, "Tori M."
scribbled:

I know! Bonnie started eating eggs after I realized she wanted salt and
pepper on them... before that I never even thought to try it... After that I
tried adding seasoning to a few "will not eat foods" and she eats all of
them that are appropriate with salt and peper.

I never have understood the whole idea of giving babies only bland
foods. Yuk! Unless something is too spicy for their tummies to
handle, or you want to avoid sodium for certain reasons, I never saw
the point.
I don't put sugar on anything, and don't overdo it with salt or
pepper, but I don't see anything wrong with seasoning their food.

Nan
Old September 30th 04, 05:51 PM
Irrational Number

Gary,

With all due respect, you need to do a lot more
research so that you do not spread false information!

Gary Hendricks wrote:

Start with fruits
One tip I've heard from various is to start with fruits. Use
really ripe bananas, mashed with a fork. Or sweet potatoes
(baked, with the insides scooped out).

Starting with mashed fruit mixed with breastmilk,
formula, or water, makes it more palatable to baby.

Don't feed your baby directly from the jar
This is an interesting tip I've heard from experienced
mothers. Feeding your baby directly from the jar is not a
good idea. Their saliva can mix with the food and make it
taste bad. Put the food in a mug rather than a bowl so that
you can feed baby more easily.

What??? What's the difference between saliva mixing
with food in a jar or in a bowl or mug or whatever????

Keep away the sweet tooth
Try not to give baby sweet stuff at this stage. Deliberately
give them vegetables before fruits to keep away that sweet
tooth.

No no no no no! Babies are genetically designed
to have a sweet tooth. It's essential for survival
that what baby wants most is the sweet taste of
breastmilk, which is coincidentally what is best
for his health in infanthood. It does not matter
what food you start with, as long as by one year,
you offer a healthy variety, and keep offering if
baby refuses initially.

Wait for the first tooth
It is a good idea to wait until your baby gets his / her
first tooth before even thinking of starting solids. One
baby (I heard) got his first tooth at 5 months and began
showing interest in what his father was eating shortly
thereafter. At about 6 months, he was reaching for his
parents' food.

The tooth does NOT matter. The magical 6-month
mark is when the baby's digestive system has matured
enough to handle some solid food. Earlier than that,
there is an increased chance of allergies. By the way,
MOST babies show an interest in what the parents are
eating because they show an interest in whatever the
parents are doing anyway, be it eating, or writing,
or typing on the computer, or whatever.

-- Anita --

Old September 30th 04, 05:57 PM
Tori M.

"Nan" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:36:04 -0500, "Tori M."
scribbled:

I know! Bonnie started eating eggs after I realized she wanted salt and
pepper on them... before that I never even thought to try it... After

that I
tried adding seasoning to a few "will not eat foods" and she eats all of
them that are appropriate with salt and peper.

I never have understood the whole idea of giving babies only bland
foods. Yuk! Unless something is too spicy for their tummies to
handle, or you want to avoid sodium for certain reasons, I never saw
the point.
I don't put sugar on anything, and don't overdo it with salt or
pepper, but I don't see anything wrong with seasoning their food.

We just add enough salt and pepper so that she sees the shaker left
something... we dont add it unless she is watching..

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier due 10/17/04

Old September 30th 04, 06:03 PM
Irrational Number

Nan wrote:

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:36:04 -0500, "Tori M."
scribbled:

I know! Bonnie started eating eggs after I realized she wanted salt and
pepper on them... before that I never even thought to try it... After that I
tried adding seasoning to a few "will not eat foods" and she eats all of
them that are appropriate with salt and peper.

I never have understood the whole idea of giving babies only bland
foods. Yuk! Unless something is too spicy for their tummies to
handle, or you want to avoid sodium for certain reasons, I never saw
the point.
I don't put sugar on anything, and don't overdo it with salt or
pepper, but I don't see anything wrong with seasoning their food.

This is fine for a baby over six months old. Younger
than that, their sense of taste actually isn't developed
enough to taste salt. Young babies will drink salt water,
and it's not until they're about 18 months to two years
old that they learn not to like it, much as an adult feels.

There was a very tragic incident in England a few years
back where some formula was prepared with salt instead
of sugar. The babies in that ward all drank their formula
and several of them died from sodium poisoning before
the error was discovered.

-- Anita --

Old September 30th 04, 08:41 PM
Kerry J. Renaissance-McAdams

wrote:

Use a baby food grinder
You can try small bits of real rice, mixed with meats
(without seasonings). The meat should be meshed with baby
food grinder (you can find these pretty cheap).

Forks work, too. And some babies like seasonings.

I know! Bonnie started eating eggs after I realized she wanted salt and
pepper on them... before that I never even thought to try it... After that I
tried adding seasoning to a few "will not eat foods" and she eats all of
them that are appropriate with salt and peper.

My DS is fond of using his foods as a way to get the condiments into
his mouth. Salt and pepper are great to start with So is a sweet
paprika, or garlic, depending on what's being served. Like with most
baby things, proceed carefully and slowly and observe all reactions.
At least, as best you can. When DS was about 14 months old, he
decided he was going to try some of Daddy's Kick-*ss Chili. He took a
handful from the bowl, stuck in his mouth, and chewed. My DH
describes his expression as being quite disgusted and startled. That
was a little _too_ hot and spicy at the time, and probably for some
time to come. But DS loves barebecue sauce on his meats, and our
spicy (but not hot -- we cook for flavor, not heat) foods.

Old October 1st 04, 01:26 AM
Dragon

dragonlady wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Gary Hendricks" wrote:

snip
Use a baby food grinder
You can try small bits of real rice, mixed with meats
(without seasonings). The meat should be meshed with baby
food grinder (you can find these pretty cheap).

Forks work, too. And some babies like seasonings.

Mine sure did! He'd eat spicy over bland any time!

Don't feed your baby directly from the jar
This is an interesting tip I've heard from experienced
mothers. Feeding your baby directly from the jar is not a
good idea. Their saliva can mix with the food and make it
taste bad. Put the food in a mug rather than a bowl so that
you can feed baby more easily.

This is one of the dumber things you've written. Why on earth would the
food be less likely to mix with saliva when eaten from a mug or bowl
instead of the jar?

Unless you finish the entire jar in one sitting, the saliva will cause
the food in the jar to spoil that much faster if you stick it back in
the fridge for later. If you put the portion you want to feed baby
into a bowl or something, the stuff left in the jar does not get
contaminated. Make sense?

[...]

I agree. And many babies, such as mine, *hated* veggies and refuses
to eat them to this day. If I wanted him to eat solids, it had to be
fruit. And I do believe fruit is a better first food than grains.
Until a baby has the means to chew cerals, they often have a *very*
hard time digesting them. Why cerals are pushed as a good first food
is a mystery to me.

dragon
Old October 1st 04, 01:46 AM
enigma

Nan wrote in
:

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:36:04 -0500, "Tori M."
scribbled:

I know! Bonnie started eating eggs after I realized she
wanted salt and pepper on them... before that I never even
thought to try it... After that I tried adding seasoning to
a few "will not eat foods" and she eats all of them that
are appropriate with salt and peper.

I never have understood the whole idea of giving babies
only bland foods. Yuk! Unless something is too spicy for
their tummies to handle, or you want to avoid sodium for
certain reasons, I never saw the point.
I don't put sugar on anything, and don't overdo it with
salt or pepper, but I don't see anything wrong with
seasoning their food.

Boo *loved* green Tabasco on his food... that kid didn't do
bland!
lee