preschooler's pants

Old October 30th 03, 08:06 PM
Ruth Baltopoulos

Default Patching jeans (was preschooler's pants)

When I patch jeans, and I assume you are referring to the
knees?, I use a heavy jean material on the inside of the
leg, and a different fun fabric on the top side. I then
stitch through both layers with the edges turned under on
the top patch. I have done this by machine or by hand.

HTH
--
Ruth B -- Remove the blinders to send email

Stewie (reading the Bible): "My my, what a thumping good
read, lions eating Christians, people nailing each other to
two by fours. I'll say, you won't find that in Winnie the
Pooh."

---
10/27/2003

Old October 30th 03, 09:10 PM
gale

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message
I'll be hand sewing, fwiw. My boys still have pretty "young" tastes in
clothes, and would probably prefer a bugs/space ships/whatever contrasting
patch to denim (and the social situation at their current school makes
this not an issue) but you have a good point (that I snipped) about the
strength of the denim. We have lots of spare jeans to use for patching.

If you sew do you also embroider? You could do an outline of something like
a bear or something they like rather quickly before putting it on the jeans.
For what it's worth, the denim or a decent weight cordory will make the
better patches due to durability. For the fashion conscious: everything
from the late 60's early 70's is in style and my jeans from those days were
covered with patches that I had embroidered myself freehand, sewn on with a
less visible stitch and then crazy quilted on with embroidery floss [which
ultimately wore off in interesting patterns. The more patches the better!

-A-
--
see my creative works on ebay under aulame 123

Old October 30th 03, 09:49 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article Tbdob.45627$mZ5.273336@attbi_s54,
Ruth Baltopoulos wrote:
When I patch jeans, and I assume you are referring to the
knees?,

Yes, the knees.

I use a heavy jean material on the inside of the
leg, and a different fun fabric on the top side. I then
stitch through both layers with the edges turned under on
the top patch. I have done this by machine or by hand.

Thanks for this suggestion. Do you find that they wear
through the fun top fabric quickly though?

--Robyn

Old October 30th 03, 11:00 PM
gale

"H Schinske" wrote in message
I bought a secondhand sturdy denim skirt for a couple of bucks. Easier to

cut
the patches out of than old jeans are, and much cheaper than purchased

fabric
patches.

You remind me that I often used the patch pockets on worn out jeans. Those
came ready hemmed......

-A-

--
see my creative works on ebay under aulame 123

Old November 10th 03, 07:27 PM
Mary Gordon

You can get denim iron-on patches - press them in place, and then run
some stitching around the edge with the sewing machine (helps if you
have one with a free arm).

Mary G.