Corn Syrup In Formula

Old August 9th 05, 07:41 AM
Pharmacy

Default Corn Syrup In Formula

What do you think of this article by
Dr. William Sears ?

Samantha in OOOklahoma

QUESTION:

After I read your advice to avoid high fructose corn syrup in sodas ("Is
Soda Harmful to Babies?"), I discovered the label of my infant formula lists
"corn syrup" the second ingredient. Should I be concerned?

ANSWER:

Yes, very concerned. As I said in that earlier column, corn syrup should be
avoided. In fact, this has become such a concern among pediatricians that I
routinely talk to children as young as five about looking for the "bad word"
on food labels - corn syrup. It's not too bad for adults and older children
to have in limited quantities, but in my opinion, corn syrup has no place in
infant nutrition - especially infant formulas. Here's why:

It's an artificial sweetener. Since the 1970s, high fructose corn syrup
(HFCS) has been the darling of the food industry. Usually, the word
"fructose" is thought to be synonymous with fruit - which everyone knows is
healthy - and what could be harmful about something made from corn? But the
fact is with HFCS the food industry has found a way to extract syrup from
corn biochemically and then manipulate the percentage of fructose in this
syrup. The ingredient you see on the label is not used because of any health
benefits, but because it is sweeter and cheaper to produce than cane sugar.
As you will see, this artificial sweetener is anything but healthy.

HFCS can make children fat. I share the opinion of many nutritionists and
other doctors that the number one cause of the childhood obesity epidemic is
the overconsumtpion of HFCS, mainly in the form of beverages. In fact, a
study reported in the April 2004 issue of the American Journal of Clinical
Nutrition, showed that people who drank beverages containing HFCS gained
more weight than people who ate the same number of calories that day but did
not consume as much high fructose corn syrup. Part of the problem is
biochemical. When your baby ingests normal sugars (such as those in
breastmilk, fruits, vegetables, or milk-based infant formulas), these sugars
stimulate the brain with signals saying, "You've eaten enough. Stop
already!" Fructose, however, does not trigger the satiety signals like
glucose does, so it's easier to overeat foods and beverages containing HFCS.

Too much HFCS can lead to serious health problems. Obesity leads to other
health complications. That's why new research suggests that overconsumption
of HFCS can lead to type II diabetes (also called insulin resistance) and
heart disease. HFCS is metabolized in the liver differently than other
sugars. It can increase the blood level of triglycerides, the fats that clog
arteries and contribute to cardiovascular disease. Because HFCS undermines
appetite control, you can see that overconsumption is a real risk. The
United States is the world's highest consumer of high fructose corn syrup
and we rank toward the top in obesity, type II diabetes, and cardiovascular
disease. See any correlation?

HFCS shapes young tastes - in a bad way. One of the most valuable principles
in infant and child nutrition is the idea of shaping young tastes. What you
feed children when they are young will effect their eating habits - and
their health - for the rest of their life. I tell this to all my patients,
even to parents of young infants just beginning solid foods. I advise them
to give their baby only the food that nature grows - fruits, vegetables,
whole grains, and dairy products. In this way, the child's developing taste
buds are programmed to recognize the normal tastes of healthy foods.

Artificial sweeteners in infant formulas can only increase the intensity of
the sweet tooth that babies are already born with. The lactose sugar found
in mother's milk is sweet, as is the lactose in milk-based infant formulas.
Yet lactose is a sugar that the body recognizes and is equipped to
metabolize as a normal sugar. In selecting a formula - unless your baby's
doctor advises otherwise - stick to those that contain lactose, not
fructose, as the main carbohydrate. This is the sugar nature put in milk,
and nature makes few nutritional mistakes.

Old August 9th 05, 08:05 AM
DamnOkie

I wonder why it says pharmacy as my ID in my original post....Hmmm.....

Samantha

news:1123569756.33e409aaeb64df67585fb743693efb2f@t eranews...

Old August 9th 05, 07:15 PM

Pharmacy writes:
: What do you think of this article by
: Dr. William Sears ?

Well, we never used formula, so to tell the truth, I never thought about
the high fructose corn syrup content. I think there are a lot of other
bad things in formula (like cow's milk protein) and a lot of good things
missing (like mother's antibodies), so I can't really get excited about
the HFCS content. Just another straw to break the camel's back, I suppose.

Larry

Old August 9th 05, 09:57 PM
Sue

"Nan" wrote in message
I'm assuming this article is about the "toddler" or "Next Step" type
formulas for older babies. Infant formula does not contain HFCS. At least
Enfamil Lipil w/iron does not.

Enfamil with iron does not contain HFCS either.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old August 9th 05, 10:26 PM
Jamie Clark

"Sue" wrote in message
"Nan" wrote in message
I'm assuming this article is about the "toddler" or "Next Step" type
formulas for older babies. Infant formula does not contain HFCS. At
least
Enfamil Lipil w/iron does not.

Enfamil with iron does not contain HFCS either.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Neither Similac with Iron nor Safeway Brand Formula have fructose in them
either. Lactose, yes, fructose, no.

What? Incorrect information spread via the internet? I'm shocked!
Flabbergasted. Gobsmacked. Really. When will the lunacy end? : )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old August 10th 05, 03:09 AM
Nan

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:26:11 -0700, "Jamie Clark"
wrote:

What? Incorrect information spread via the internet? I'm shocked!
Flabbergasted. Gobsmacked. Really. When will the lunacy end? : )

Hard to imagine, isn't it?!

Nan

Old August 10th 05, 12:41 PM
Sue

"DamnOkie" wrote in message
LoL !

From a respected doctor too..

I don't have a lot of respect for him, but I certainly don't want to start a
war. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old August 10th 05, 01:40 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Sue wrote:

"DamnOkie" wrote in message

LoL !

From a respected doctor too..

I don't have a lot of respect for him, but I certainly don't want to start a
war. )

There *are* formulas with corn syrup:

Nutramigen
Isomil Soy with Iron
Neocate
Enfamil Prosobee

I imagine there are more. Those are just the ones I found.
Formulas without cow's milk are more likely to use HFCS for
sweetening.

Best wishes,
Ericka