Vote: Do pain-coping mechanisms work?

Old July 28th 04, 07:05 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Default Vote: Do pain-coping mechanisms work?

Nikki wrote:

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

My laptop plays DVDs

too, so maybe I'll bring a bunch. Yes, this is a great idea!

Lots of hospitals have TV and DVD/VCR players in the room - so check with
yours.

You have to pay extra, here. (or at least, you used to) Also, in the
past, at least, they only had cable TV available. Maybe things have
changed. I don't really care, though, since I'm bringing the laptop
anyway for use with the camera (and to give me something to type on so
that I can record my thoughts/experiences while they're still fresh, if
I can find the time and energy). I just hope they don't complain. ;-)
I don't want to pay for something that I'm going to have in my room
already anyway.

The distraction of the TV drove me nuts once serious labor began so I had to
turn it off - much to dh's dismay ;-)

I don't think it will distract *me*, but I *know* it will distract *DH*,
so once things really get moving, I might have to tell him to turn it
off so that he pays attention to me instead of whatever DVD is playing.
He'll get mad, but it will only last for about 1 second (basically,
long enough for him to clue in). ;-)
Old July 30th 04, 05:18 AM
Emily

Kim E. wrote:
I will tell you that the most difficult things for me to overcome - even
more difficult to me than the labor pains - were the continuous fetal
monioring strip that I had to detach every time I got up and lost the
heartbeat everytime I moved from lying down, and the bitchy nurses who
kept coming in to fix the monitor.

I had continuous monitoring because of the Pitocin drip,
and they managed to put the contraction monitor right on
top of the spot that DS had been kicking (from inside) for
the past month. It *hurt* with every contraction. When
we finally figured that out and moved it, things were much
better... So: thing to keep in mind. The monitors are annoying,
but if they are actually causing pain, consider trying
to find another spot for them!

Emily
Old August 11th 04, 04:31 AM
Leslie

Did you actually find it working
for you?

For #2, which was an awesome labor until it ended with an emergency section for
a surprise breech :-p, I walked a lot, breathed a la Lamaze, more or less, and
listened to a tape that has soothing music and womb sounds. We had used that
tape to practice to so I had a relaxing association with it. I still get all
relaxed and peaceful when I hear it now!

#3 was an extremely painful labor and if I hadn't had four people working on me
I don't think I could have stood it as long as I did. What helped the most
during that one was hot showers.

Walking is the best pain relief by far for me--I just lean on my husband during
the contractions and then start walking again.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth