Milk, Money, & Madness

Old January 19th 04, 05:44 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Default Milk, Money, & Madness

I just finished reading the book "Milk, Money, & Madness" and I wanted
to know if the bf'ing attitude has changed for the positive in the US
since the copy write date of 1995?

I was a very interesting book and a really good read. But, the book was
published after Clinton agreed to the WHO code, but just after. What
ever happened with the formula companies and the WHO code in the US?
Has Bush rescinded the agreement?

Just curious.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old January 19th 04, 10:22 AM
AskeyKO

I was a very interesting book and a really good read. But, the book was
published after Clinton agreed to the WHO code, but just after. What
ever happened with the formula companies and the WHO code in the US?
Has Bush rescinded the agreement?

IME, nothing has changed. Formula companies still give out samples for ob/gyn
offices to hand out like candy and the ads abound in parenting magazines and
tv.
Old January 19th 04, 01:52 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

AskeyKO wrote:

I was a very interesting book and a really good read. But, the book was
published after Clinton agreed to the WHO code, but just after. What
ever happened with the formula companies and the WHO code in the US?
Has Bush rescinded the agreement?

IME, nothing has changed. Formula companies still give out samples for ob/gyn
offices to hand out like candy and the ads abound in parenting magazines and
tv.

But they don't necessarily give out samples to nursing mothers in the
hospital. I never got formula samples when I gave birth to DD (1997) or
DS (2003). I assumed it was because the charts said I was a nursing
mother.

Jeanne
Old January 19th 04, 02:40 PM
Leslie

I haven't read the book yet, but if we signed the WHO code we are certainly out
of compliance! Formula is advertised/pushed everywhere--t.v., magazines,
doctors offices.

Most people I know who bf see it as a "good start" before inevitably moving to
formula. NIP is vanishingly rare even among those who exclusively bf. I'm in
the South, though, and I get the impression, hanging out here, that things are
much worse where I am than nationwide.

BTW, does anyone know if there are stats on bf state by state?

Leslie
Old January 19th 04, 03:19 PM
Nikki

DeliciousTruffles wrote in message ...
I just finished reading the book "Milk, Money, & Madness" and I wanted
to know if the bf'ing attitude has changed for the positive in the US
since the copy write date of 1995?

I'm in the upper Midwest section of the US. Formula is advertised all
over. I never received free samples from the hospital but I did get
some in the mail with #1. I took birth classes with him, no birth
classes with #2 and no free formula in the mail!!

In my area it is encouraged and many women do it. I know a lot of
woman that breastfeed past a year. I would not describe NIP as common
but it certainly happens. I did it all over the place and no one
batted an eye. As with most areas, rates increase with age and
education. The state wedsite also states that planned pregnancies
result in a higher rate of breastfeeding then unplanned ones. The
state websit lists rates of initiation. I couldn't find stats for 6
months and over darn it. The rates were broken down according to race
and if I average them all up it comes out to a 56% initiation rate.

--

Nikki
Old January 19th 04, 03:21 PM
Nina

I just got a survey from the state, 4% of new mothers in the state are
randomly selected to participate. One of the questions was if i had received
any free formula samples. I wonder if the state is very agrressive about
breastfeeding, as I didnt receive ANY samples. I did sign up for free stuff,
mostly little magazines that happen to have lots of formula coupons. I
sometimes think I will get the free formula and donate it, or maybe feed my
cats.

Old January 19th 04, 03:33 PM
Kari

But they don't necessarily give out samples to nursing mothers in the
hospital. I never got formula samples when I gave birth to DD (1997) or
DS (2003). I assumed it was because the charts said I was a nursing
mother.

I agree for the most part. I DID get formula samples for my son (4/99) but
not for my baby this time. They never mentioned bottlefeeding at *all* and
in fact, assumes that everyone nurses at first. (or so I was told) I guess
this is not the norm? Im in upstate NY by the way, and gave birth in
Virginia to my older son, which may be the difference in policies?

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (4) and Xander (3 mos)

Old January 19th 04, 04:24 PM

Bruce and Jeanne wrote:
AskeyKO wrote:

I was a very interesting book and a really good read. But, the book was
published after Clinton agreed to the WHO code, but just after. What
ever happened with the formula companies and the WHO code in the US?
Has Bush rescinded the agreement?

IME, nothing has changed. Formula companies still give out samples for ob/gyn
offices to hand out like candy and the ads abound in parenting magazines and
tv.

But they don't necessarily give out samples to nursing mothers in the
hospital. I never got formula samples when I gave birth to DD (1997) or
DS (2003). I assumed it was because the charts said I was a nursing
mother.

I got three different formula goody bags when I was in the hospital. It
wasn't a big deal to me. The one was labeled 'breastfeeding support kit'
or something like that, but had a can of formula in it. I just wanted the
free diaper bags to use for day care. There were some BF booklets that
were excerpts from the LLL book on breastfeeding (can't remember the
title) that I found helpful during the first few weeks. It had a handy
reference chart for causes of common problems.

Manda
Old January 19th 04, 04:38 PM
Kari

sometimes think I will get the free formula and donate it, or maybe feed

my
cats.

I've tried that, with the cats I mean. They hated it, lol Can't say as I
blame them much, that stuff smells awful!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (4) and Xander (3 mos)

working link to Today's Parent article Corrine Kids Health 4 September 22nd 03 05:39 PM
working link to Today's Parent article Corrine Breastfeeding 7 September 22nd 03 05:39 PM
KIDS EARNING MONEY Dargentala Kids Health 0 August 1st 03 02:46 PM
KIDS EARNING MONEY Dargentala General 0 August 1st 03 02:43 PM
Money money money... russell barr General 0 August 1st 03 01:23 PM