How much to pay for a crib set?

Old August 2nd 04, 03:45 AM
ChocolateTruffles

Default How much to pay for a crib set?

Sue wrote:

However, many people will tell you that the bumper pads are a SIDS risk...

As does Health Canada.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains."
~ Mary Pettibone Poole

Old August 2nd 04, 03:49 AM
ChocolateTruffles

Jody Pellerin wrote:

Ah I see. Here, they do an interview, either in person at the hospital or
over the phone and ask questions, ranking the baby by number. And if the
baby's rank is high enough, the mother and baby are eligible for a public
health nurse to visit the home every month or so, checking weight and what
not. I'm not sure what else is entailed to it but Brittany ranked a 0, the
lowest rank and best I guess. So I never seen a public health nurse.

I'm in BC and the Public Health nurse visited my home within the first
week home both times. The first time she did an inspection of the
nursery but the second time she didn't because she was familiar with me
(same nurse).

I didn't have bumpers because I knew about the Health Canada guidelines
so I cannot say whether she would have removed them.

Old August 2nd 04, 05:24 AM
Unadulterated Me

Stormlady wrote:

The nurse comes by to check out the house and the
babies room in particular to make sure that everything is set up properly
and is as safe as possible.

Surely you letting her 'in' your home is optional, no one can do a house
inspection that doesn't even sound legal. I imagine her role is like a
Plunket nurse or NHS visitor, they assist newbie parents who need some
advice in their new role. Whether you take that advice is up to you, but
if someone came into my home and started dismantling my baby's bed she'd
get shown the door pretty damn fast and wouldn't get an invite back in a
hurry.

Andrea
Old August 2nd 04, 05:53 AM
Nan

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:06:00 -0230, "Stormlady" don't@ email.me
scribbled:

I'm in Newfoundland, all of my friends who have had babies recently have had
a visit from the health nurse. I just assumed it was a Canada wide practice
but apparently not :-) The nurse comes by to check out the house and the
babies room in particular to make sure that everything is set up properly
and is as safe as possible. They will take out bumper pads if they are in
the crib too, and cite the suffocation of babies as the reason. My
stepmother worked in an infant daycare too and they were not allowed to use
them there either for the same reason.

In many regions of the US, a health nurse visits within a week or so
of mom being discharged from the hospital. With older dd she came to
do a well baby check and to remove the staples from my c-section
incision. With younger dd she would have done the check, but I called
and cancelled. I'd have a *real* issue with anyone coming in and
taking anything out of my nursery! Perhaps advising against it, but
not physically removing anything. I'd be steamed.

Nan
--
"when the sun goes down we'll be groovin'
when the sun goes down we'll be feelin' alright,
Old August 2nd 04, 07:19 AM
ChocolateTruffles

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Stormlady wrote:

The nurse comes by to check out the house and the
babies room in particular to make sure that everything is set up properly
and is as safe as possible.

Surely you letting her 'in' your home is optional, no one can do a house
inspection that doesn't even sound legal.

I imagine that if you refuse to let a Public Health nurse into your home
you would be getting a call from Child and Family Services very shortly.
As for removing a bumper pad, in Canada bumper pads are against Health
Canada's recommendations. Therefore a Public Health nurse viewing a
dangerous item in a nursery would probably be obligated to either ask
the parent to remove it or remove it herself. I'm sure if she saw the
old-style venetian blind cords dangling over the crib she would be doing
something about that as well.

Different regulations for different countries, I guess.

Old August 2nd 04, 12:57 PM
Sophie

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
news
I found an adorable one, but the cost, esp for something which is probably
going to get messed up seems high-$150.00 for a quilt, bumper, sheet, and
skirt. In addition, can you even use a quilt or a bumper in the crib with
the baby? If not, where do you use them?

My crib sets have only consisted of a comforter, bumper pads, and matching
crib sheet. I'm pretty sure one set was $50 (for babies #1 and #2) and one
was $25 (for #3 and #4).

I personally use the bumper pads. I'd rather the baby's head touch that then
the hard wood bars. None of my kids have ever ended up with their faces
near the bumper pads, just the tops of their heads.

I also use the comforter. You just fold it down so it's not near the baby's
face.

Old August 2nd 04, 04:39 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

ChocolateTruffles wrote:

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Stormlady wrote:

[...]

Heh! Different regs for different provinces! Ontario does not require
people to allow some random nurse to enter their homes and treat them
this way. I seriously doubt that *any* province can do this, actually.
It would be a violation of basic rights.

Public health nurses will phone you here in Ontario, apparently
(obviously I haven't experienced this yet), but dealing with them is
entirely voluntary.
Old August 2nd 04, 05:12 PM
Jody Pellerin

Same as here. I think I would blow a gasket if a nurse came here and did
things like that without my consent.
"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
.. .

Old August 2nd 04, 05:50 PM
ChocolateTruffles

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

Heh! Different regs for different provinces! Ontario does not require
people to allow some random nurse to enter their homes and treat them
this way. I seriously doubt that *any* province can do this, actually.
It would be a violation of basic rights.

I was thinking about this last night (when Isabella was up between 1:00
am and 3:30 am) and I tend to agree. The perception here regarding the
PHNs could be because I live in a small town with a high rate of child
abuse.