How much to pay for a crib set?

Old August 2nd 04, 06:43 PM
Nan

Default How much to pay for a crib set?

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 07:57:40 -0400, "Sophie"
scribbled:

I also use the comforter. You just fold it down so it's not near the baby's
face.

I use the comforter, but just pull it down to below her armpit area.
If I try to fold it down it flips back over her face too easily.

Nan

--
"when the sun goes down we'll be groovin'
when the sun goes down we'll be feelin' alright,
Old August 2nd 04, 07:33 PM
P Harris

ChocolateTruffles wrote in message news:E1lPc.159152$ek5.32611@pd7tw2no...
I imagine that if you refuse to let a Public Health nurse into your home
you would be getting a call from Child and Family Services very shortly.

scratching head

I dunno.

At the hospital (outside Toronto, ON), I was *asked* if I wanted to
sign up have a Public Health nurse call. DH thought we should so we
did check 'yes' and sign that part of the form, but in reality all
that has happened thus far (at ~2.5 wks after the birth) was that they
phoned and left us a message saying that if we had any concerns or
wanted help or advice we should call such-and-such particular person
and such-and-such phone number. Certainly nobody has peremptorily
shown up on our doorstep, nor do I expect them to at this point.

I mean, I don't know what other Ontarioans have experienced but that's
how it was for us. And fwiw I only stayed in the hospital about 18 hrs
after the birth.

Just another data point for you.

As for removing a bumper pad, in Canada bumper pads are against Health
Canada's recommendations. Therefore a Public Health nurse viewing a
dangerous item in a nursery would probably be obligated to either ask
the parent to remove it or remove it herself. I'm sure if she saw the
old-style venetian blind cords dangling over the crib she would be doing
something about that as well.

Uh, they're *recommendations*, AFAIK, not *laws*. I would expect a
Public Health Nurse to say something like "Oh dear, we strongly
recommend that you not do that!" and try to "fix" the situation... but
I would find it very very hard to believe that they would HAVE to
remove bumper pads or that they would in fact have the legal authority
to press the point if you declined. They might harangue you, but I
doubt it would go beyond that (unless they see lots of other worrisome
things going on I suppose).

Pat
Old August 2nd 04, 09:02 PM
ChocolateTruffles

P Harris wrote:

ChocolateTruffles wrote:

I imagine that if you refuse to let a Public Health nurse into your home
you would be getting a call from Child and Family Services very shortly.

scratching head

I dunno.

At the hospital (outside Toronto, ON), I was *asked* if I wanted to
sign up have a Public Health nurse call.

I was thinking about it some more and I think the reason the PHNs are
expected to visit is because I live in a small town with a high rate of
child abuse.

[...]

That's why I worded that paragraph the way I did. Yes, recommendations,
not laws. The nurse would probably feel *obligated* but I probably not
under legal authority (more CYA in case of SIDS and lawsuit).

I guess it really comes down to regional differences even within
provinces. I'm sure it is quite different in Vancouver and Victoria
than it is here in little podunk Merritt.

It just didn't strike me odd that the nurse did that. I was trying to
offer some explanations why. (Unfortunately, I'm not too clear-headed
these days due to sleep deprivation.)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://ca.geocities.com/bironmonger/

"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it,
requires brains."
~ Mary Pettibone Poole

Old August 3rd 04, 02:46 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Jody Pellerin wrote:

Same as here. I think I would blow a gasket if a nurse came here and did
things like that without my consent.

Yeah really! How rude!
Old August 3rd 04, 02:49 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

ChocolateTruffles wrote:

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

Heh! Different regs for different provinces! Ontario does not
require people to allow some random nurse to enter their homes and
treat them this way. I seriously doubt that *any* province can do
this, actually. It would be a violation of basic rights.

I was thinking about this last night (when Isabella was up between 1:00
am and 3:30 am) and I tend to agree. The perception here regarding the
PHNs could be because I live in a small town with a high rate of child
abuse.

Hmmmm... Maybe the nurses are more pushy than normal, then, even though
they are likely totally overstepping their bounds. They had better be
careful, actually... Any trouble and their funding might become rare. ;-)
Old August 3rd 04, 02:52 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

ChocolateTruffles wrote:

(Unfortunately, I'm not too clear-headed
these days due to sleep deprivation.)

Hah! I can SO relate, and my baby hasn't even been born yet! ;-)
Old August 3rd 04, 02:56 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Nan wrote:

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 07:57:40 -0400, "Sophie"
scribbled:

I also use the comforter. You just fold it down so it's not near the baby's
face.

I use the comforter, but just pull it down to below her armpit area.
If I try to fold it down it flips back over her face too easily.

Maybe I am just pathetic, or something, but I have this problem
*myself*, and I'm an adult. I always have to pull the blanket down,
otherwise I end up with it on my face at some point in the night. I've
been like this for as far back as I can remember (can remember waking
up, as a kid, and having a hard time breathing due to the stupid blanket
being over my head). Maybe some of us are just totally handicapped in
this regard. ;-)

Personally, I want to try those sleep sack things, if I can find them.
I don't even know what they look like. Baby-sized sleeping bags?
Old August 3rd 04, 03:07 AM
Jody Pellerin

Kiss three things good buy: Sleep, time and memory. I think to make a To Do
list because I forget what I'm supposed to do, then I forget to do my To Do
lists and nothing gets done, all the while, having no time for some reason
and getting no sleep.
"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 3rd 04, 04:42 AM
Nan

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 21:56:19 -0400, Vicky Bilaniuk
scribbled:

Maybe I am just pathetic, or something, but I have this problem
*myself*, and I'm an adult. I always have to pull the blanket down,
otherwise I end up with it on my face at some point in the night. I've
been like this for as far back as I can remember (can remember waking
up, as a kid, and having a hard time breathing due to the stupid blanket
being over my head). Maybe some of us are just totally handicapped in
this regard. ;-)

LOL
I like to snuggle down with the blanket over the back of my head, but
can't stand anything near my face.

Personally, I want to try those sleep sack things, if I can find them.
I don't even know what they look like. Baby-sized sleeping bags?

http://www.babyinabag.com/

http://www.mommysthinkin.com/halo_sl...le_blanket.htm

Nan

Old August 3rd 04, 04:46 AM
Irene

"Donna Metler" wrote in message ...
I found an adorable one, but the cost, esp for something which is probably
going to get messed up seems high-$150.00 for a quilt, bumper, sheet, and
skirt. In addition, can you even use a quilt or a bumper in the crib with
the baby? If not, where do you use them?

I think the one I was given for ds was more than that. (I didn't
register for it, btw) I think most of the ones I saw were around
$200, which I thought was outrageous, for that very reason. I did
use the bumper for him, and it was never a problem, but I never, ever
used the quilt, since it was really thick.

For dd, I ended up getting new sheets and a skirt, mainly because the
original ecru didn't go with the yellow & blue for the new nursery.
But, I just got plain blue flannel sheets and a plain blue skirt, for
under $40 I think. I figured #2 deserved to have a few things of her
own, and that was one of the few things we bought especially for her!
Plus, I like flannel sheets since they don't feel as cold when you put
baby down, and I never see them in sets, so I would've wanted them
separate, anyhow. I did also buy a couple of blankets for her, mainly
because ds protested me taking away *his* blankets and I figured I
could get her her own blankets. So, she has a nice knit blanket and a
nice thermal blanket, which go nicely with her room and I feel safer
using than a heavy quilt. Tho, so far, she has mostly been using one
of those sleep sack things when it is cold or she falls asleep in a
onesie - that was a hand-me-down. That is actually very helpful - she
doesn't lose it like a blanket. She's going to outgrow it soon - wah!

I haven't been using the bumper for dd, and I'm glad, since she
started rolling at 2 months. She's more mobile asleep than when she's
awake! I'd much rather she get her arm stuck occasionally than
suffocate! She's so active, it probably wouldn't be a problem, but I
figure I'd rather not worry. (Besides, since I didn't buy a new one,
it wouldn't go with - good motivation for me to do the right thing!)

Irene