being ill at end of pregnancy...

Old August 11th 04, 03:33 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Default being ill at end of pregnancy...

So, what are the things to be aware of if you're ill and your due date
is coming up? I haven't gone to see my doctor yet, but I'm really
starting to feel certain that I've caught a bug. Stomach upset (lots of
queasiness, loss of appetite, but no more heartburn), headache, major
fatigue, general feeling of being unwell. Sure, these can be pregnancy
symptoms, but they've gotten bad all of a sudden and it just seems
unusual. No fever. Oh I've also got *major* thirst going on, so I'm
going to go in to get my blood glucose level checked tomorrow. BP is
fine, though (just checked by midwife on Monday). The thirst (and
increased peeing, of course) can be explained if I'm fighting a bug.
I'm hoping the blood glucose level is normal. I've had two weird
experiences with the little pee sticks that they get me to use: the
last two times, the outside edges of the glucose test turned green but
the middle stayed fine. The protein part was fine. The midwives were
unconcerned, saying that they only worry when the whole thing changes
colour. The first time this happened, I actually used 3 sticks,
thinking that I had done something wrong, and it happened on all 3. On
Monday, I did it once with a different supply of sticks, and it happened
again, but I just left it at one.
Old August 11th 04, 05:44 AM
Wendy

Sorry you're not feeling well! To be pregnant AND sick is a lot to
endure. I would check with your OB and see if he/she has any advice on
what you can do to feel better or what could be causing you to feel ill.
Hope you feel better soon.

Wendy

Old August 11th 04, 05:48 AM
Nikki

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

Stomach upset (lots
of queasiness, loss of appetite, but no more heartburn), headache,
major fatigue, general feeling of being unwell.

Are you do this month? I can't keep track but I thought so. If so, I'd
expect your going to have a baby soon ;-). Add a big dose of itchiness to
all that and it pretty accurately describes my state the two days before my
water broke. If it was a bug it went away with labor and birth.
--
Nikki

Old August 11th 04, 06:20 AM
Nikki

Nikki wrote:

Are you do this month?

'due' :-)

--
Nikki

Old August 11th 04, 06:22 AM
Nikki

Nikki wrote:

Add a big dose of
itchiness to all that and it pretty accurately describes my state the

big dose of *bitchiness*

Ack Ack Ack. Two follow up posts just to correct errors to one paragraph.
I'm going to bed now.

--
Nikki

Old August 11th 04, 02:13 PM
Donna

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
. ..
So, what are the things to be aware of if you're ill and your due date
is coming up? I haven't gone to see my doctor yet, but I'm really
starting to feel certain that I've caught a bug. Stomach upset (lots of
queasiness, loss of appetite, but no more heartburn), headache, major
fatigue, general feeling of being unwell. Sure, these can be pregnancy
symptoms, but they've gotten bad all of a sudden and it just seems
unusual. No fever. Oh I've also got *major* thirst going on, so I'm
going to go in to get my blood glucose level checked tomorrow. BP is
fine, though (just checked by midwife on Monday).

Oh, Vicky, you poor thing. Being sick on top of being 9 months
pregnant is really too much to expect someone to manage.

Check with your doctor (midwife?), but I'm sure that unless you have
something *really* weird, no routine bug is going to hurt your baby. When
everyone in my house had viral meningitis two weeks before my delivery, my
OB wasn't particularly concerned. She was basically like "Well, if you get
it, we can treat your headache, but it's not going to hurt the baby."

Take care of yourself, and let us know how you are doing.

Donna

Old August 11th 04, 02:26 PM
T Flynn

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Nikki wrote:

Add a big dose of itchiness to
all that and it pretty accurately describes my state the two days before my
water broke. If it was a bug it went away with labor and birth.

Just completely out of the blue, by any chance did you have any meconium
problems? I just know when Kay was born, I ended up on antibiotics, and
sometimes the body's reaction to an infection -- to me -- can feel very
itchy.

Old August 11th 04, 02:39 PM
Nikki

T Flynn wrote:
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Nikki wrote:

Add a big dose of itchiness to
all that and it pretty accurately describes my state the two days
before my water broke. If it was a bug it went away with labor and
birth.

Just completely out of the blue, by any chance did you have any
meconium problems?

Nope, not at all. That was a typo though because I meant bitchy :-) I
ticked my husband off in the grocery store so bad he went and waited in the
car. He only decided to speak to me again because I was about to give
birth, lol.

I maintain that he had it coming. :-D Teasing a huge and miserable pregnant
lady at the grocery store is uncalled for.

--
Nikki

Old August 11th 04, 03:36 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Nikki wrote:

Nikki wrote:

Add a big dose of

itchiness to all that and it pretty accurately describes my state the

big dose of *bitchiness*

Ack Ack Ack. Two follow up posts just to correct errors to one paragraph.
I'm going to bed now.

Sorry, but this series of posts was just too funny. ;-) Yes, I'm due
this month. I've also been more bitchy and whiny than normal, lately.
I haven't been myself at all for about a week, at least. I'm not
normally a whiny type unless something is really wrong (I feel like I've
whined at least 10 years' worth throughout this entire pregnancy,
actually, and am TOTALLY looking forward to returning to something at
least close to my old self afterwards).
Old August 11th 04, 04:06 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

so I'm
going to go in to get my blood glucose level checked tomorrow.

They gave me a choice: eat 1.5 boxes of Reese's Pieces one hour before
going in, or have the drink. I opted for the candy. Unfortunately,
YUCK, it's too much sugar!!! YUCK YUCK YUCK.