Just out of curiosity..for any one who celebrates Christmas...

Old October 19th 04, 06:14 PM
newfy.1

"toypup" wrote in message
news:EV9dd.497247$8_6.65670@attbi_s04...

I don't think it's really lying, if you think of Santa as being the spirit
of Christmas. Once the kids know, they can continue the tradition by

being
Santa. It's when parents do everything they can to convince kids there is

Santa and then stop all traditions when the kids find out the truth that
there is any feeling of being betrayed.

I like this explanation very much and agree with it. We "do" Santa but
didn't come outright and say, "This is Santa, and blah, blah, blah". We let
ds latch on to it on his own (mostly last year at the age of three) and he
believes what he has created in his mind.

JennP.

Old October 19th 04, 06:16 PM
Christine

Me, as an older mom, I cant tell you how many years I waited to take my
very own child to sit on santa's lap...Whaaa WhOO, I cant wait till he
comes to the mall, I know it will be soon, I think after Halloween he
starts making appearances....;-)))

i'll let you know when he comes Todd....
cant stop LOL....;-)))

Old October 19th 04, 06:16 PM
newfy.1

"Naysando" wrote in message

I was just talking to a friend of mine about this...
she has a 16 month son, and she thinks it's horrible to NOT do the santa
thing.
she says that those are the best memories of her childhood..
I think it's sad that her best memories are all a lie....just my opinion.

How do you know she considers those memories lies? If she finds them fond
ones then I'd say she's very satisfied with them and finds nothing decietful
about it.

JennP.

Old October 19th 04, 06:16 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Christine wrote:

Just wondering if you all are planning to do the whole Santa clause
thing?...or do you think it's wrong to lie? ( or plain stupid? ....etc.

No santa here. I think it's stupid. We will tell him the truth and
that it's a game - that some adult plays the part of Santa (kinda like
Halloween, I guess). I don't see why Christmas can't be fun without Santa.
Old October 19th 04, 06:18 PM
newfy.1

"Tori M." wrote in message

We plan on doing a form of Santa I think. Probably just that he sneaks in
eats our food and then leaves a stocking of junk DH and I talk about

this
all the time and we both agree that we dont hate our parents for doing
Santa

Watch the "sneaks in" stuff though. We read _The Night Before Christmas_ and
it freaked ds out a bit thinking that he could get in the house. I didn't
anticipate that.

JennP.

Old October 19th 04, 06:25 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Tori M. wrote:

"Christine" wrote in message

Just wondering if you all are planning to do the whole Santa clause
thing?...or do you think it's wrong to lie? ( or plain stupid? ....etc.

I think I will for a while

My Nephew, now 17 was really mad at my sister for lying to him all those
years, but he is now over it, he's not mad anymore..

We plan on doing a form of Santa I think. Probably just that he sneaks in
eats our food and then leaves a stocking of junk DH and I talk about this
all the time and we both agree that we dont hate our parents for doing
Santa

Tori

OK, after having read yet another message where it is suggested that
some people get upset at their parents for lying, I would just like to
say that I personally never got upset about it. I just thought it was
all silly. I didn't see why my parents would try so hard to make me
value truth and then turn around and lie to me about this, all in good
fun. Sure, I loved the santa thing when I was still dumb enough to
believe in it, but when I eventually figured out that it was really my
grandfather in a costume, I first became happy because I outsmarted
everyone and figured it out on my own (hey, I was really little and
easily fooled, so I was proud of myself), and secondly, I decided that I
would never perpetuate that lie.

BTW, Tori, not picking on your post... I just randomly chose this one
to respond to. ;-) Hope you're feeling well, BTW.
Old October 19th 04, 06:34 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

emilymr wrote:

So I'm with Naysando -- I
don't want to tell my kids something that I don't believe myself.

Obviously, you can count me in, too. ;-) DH is in the same club. He
never grew up with Santa at all anyway. Different traditions in his
family. His family doesn't even celebrate the Dec 25th date. They have
actual Christmas Day in January, and something else for the kids in
early December (which apparently involves a Santa-like character, but he
doesn't want to do even the Ukrainian version of Santa). So, Max will
grow up with multiple, family Christmas celebrations and tons of
presents, but no Santa. ;-)
Old October 19th 04, 06:36 PM
Tori M.

"newfy.1" wrote in message

"Tori M." wrote in message

We plan on doing a form of Santa I think. Probably just that he sneaks

in
eats our food and then leaves a stocking of junk DH and I talk about

this
all the time and we both agree that we dont hate our parents for doing
Santa

Watch the "sneaks in" stuff though. We read _The Night Before Christmas_

and
it freaked ds out a bit thinking that he could get in the house. I didn't
anticipate that.

JennP.

Hmm never thought of that! though how else would santa leave stuff if he
did not get in? Do you open the door for him?

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier Late due to being his fathers child. I would have been 15 minutes

Old October 19th 04, 06:42 PM
Christine

How do you know she considers those
memories lies? If she finds them fond ones
then I'd say she's very satisfied with them and
finds nothing decietful about it.

JennP.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````

I think that was =91=91her=92=92 opinion! ( Renee )
not her friends opinion.

Old October 19th 04, 06:44 PM
H Schinske

Ericka ) wrote:

My family has always had Santa, even when we
were all adults and no children around. There was never a day that
someone said "There's no Santa" and all the Santa traditions stopped.
My parents wouldn't admit to me now that Santa doesn't exist--in our
family, he does exist. We're happy as clams with the situation.

That's fine if you *like* it that way. But there is no need to have any
pretence if you don't want to. My kids have a perfectly fine Christmas without
ever having believed that Santa was more than a fun story.

--Helen