how long does it take for your milk to dry up?

Old February 6th 06, 05:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default RE how long does it take for your milk to dry up?

First,

to all the people who are trying to "give Betsy helpful advice.:"

No, she might not be nursing (or for you EPers), pumping as much
as you (and since I can't say "or I" :-) or as Monika might, but
given her difficulties, I think she is doing a hercluean job.
And if working out on her eliptical trainer keeps her sane enough
to get the other things done, we shouldn't look at is as something
taking away from her ability to care for her daughter, but something
to *enable* it! So when we "give her advice," we should be sure
to lighen up and make sure it isn;t too critical.

To Betsy: You said two things that made me write this post.
You said you are doing your best. Well, keep doing your best.
You said you don't feel guilty. Well, keep not feeling guilty.

:-)

I think as long as you keep doing those two things, you will be
able to do more than any other way.

Larry
Old February 6th 06, 08:35 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Nice post Larry!.

I'm glad you came back to say what you did Betsy cos I didn't believe
it at the time but thought I'd wait until you came back to say it
before I chipped in. It puzzled me as to why people could make such
huge assumptions and odd suggestions (like giving up your baby for
adoption??!) just because bf'ing isn't for you. The fact that you've
done so well at pumping for this long deserves huge applause. not
condemnation. Life isn't all moonlight and roses and for some,
including me, it isn't all that easy, especially with a baby that
fights sleep at every turn. Dp and I love our ds to bits and our life
revolves around him, but we treasure the few hours we get on Sundays to
call our own. As it turns out it's mostly decorating, doing
www.wwwibbles.co.uk or sewing nursery curtains, but it's pretty
essential to all of our wellbeing and ds loves being at his
grandparents.

That's just my 2pence worth.

Ta

Jeni

Old February 6th 06, 01:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
You know, I wasn't serious when I posted that. I'm just sick of the

people who act as though they know the RIGHT way, the ONLY way, and
everyone else is wrong.

Hi Betsy,

I'm glad you came back in. I knew that you were not serious in your last
post and unfortunetely most people on here are way too serious and unable to
see that there are many ways to raise a child. I didn't want to say anything
unless you came back to post.You're doing a great job and it really is okay
to have a life of your own and have kids also. You keep exercising (as that
is very good for your kids because then you will be healthy for them), it's
better than sitting on the couch all day and it definitely helps with your
depression. Ignore the rightous and raise your kids the way you see fit,
because it is your children and your decisions, as you will know what is
best for them and you. Hang in there.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 7th 06, 05:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thanks Larry and hooferoo...
Seriously, things are much much better now. I fell into a dark deep pit
after delivery, but with effort and some good meds, I'm back on track now!
Still pumping, and DD is 2 months old this week. Plan to keep it up
indefinitely, and feel good to find a balance in my life and still provide
the best possible nutrition for Emily.

Betsy

oups.com...

Old February 7th 06, 06:09 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default how long does it take for your milk to dry up?

oregonchick wrote:
I am working on stopping the pumping altogether. I just don't want to do
this routine anymore. I won't go back to breastfeeding either, so I'm
trying to "dry up". But I have no idea on how to go about it.

On this note, I should mention that my mom nursed four, her youngest is
almost 21, and she still feels letdowns in the presence of crying
babies.

I believe there's anthropological evidence that even postmenopausal
grandmothers who have lactated can reestablish a sufficient milk supply
for orphaned babies within three days or so, since it's
supply-and-demand. Menopause doesn't mess with the hormones necessary
for lactation. I'll ask my sister; if anyone else is curious, I'll
post about it.

At any rate, completely "drying up" may be a nontrivial difficulty for
anyone who's lactated!

--
C, mama to three year old nursling

Old February 7th 06, 06:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
Thanks Larry and hooferoo...
Seriously, things are much much better now. I fell into a dark deep pit
after delivery, but with effort and some good meds, I'm back on track now!
Still pumping, and DD is 2 months old this week. Plan to keep it up
indefinitely, and feel good to find a balance in my life and still provide
the best possible nutrition for Emily.

Good for you Betsy. Keep up the good work.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 9th 06, 07:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

oregonchick skrev:
You know, I wasn't serious when I posted that. I'm just sick of the people
who act as though they know the RIGHT way, the ONLY way, and everyone else
is wrong. I am not a natural mother. This has been very difficult for me
to adjust to. I've had alot of depression since having the baby. I had
decided long ago that I wasn't having any more children, until I met and
married my husband. And changing my entire life again for a newborn has
taken a real toll. But...I am doing my best. Even though I don't like it,
I have put my daughter's needs first. And I am still pumping away, morning
noon and night to make sure she has the best possible nutrition. But I have
been able to somewhat tailor the pumping schedule around my "life". Yes, I
have chosen to continue to have my own life. I am selfish. It is the only
thing that keeps me sane, in the middle of the night when I rock her and she
just won't sleep, and all those other times I ask myself, "why did I do this
again?"

I felt like that with DS (#2). I regretted having him. Now he's 8 and is
such a pleasure.

Hang in - it won't continue. I did't have time for myself then, but I do
now, and maybe I enjoy it even more because I remember the times when I
couldn't.

You will reach a point where you will enjoy also this kid. Have you
sought help for you depression? Post partum depression is very common
and you wouldn't be the first or the last to suffer from it.

Tine, Denmark
Old February 14th 06, 08:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Workingmom wrote:

It's always easy to tell others off when you are not wearing their
shoes. PPD can be horrible.

I know ALL about PPD. I know ALL about motherhood not coming naturally.
I even know all about doing it alone - at least this woman has someone
to help her! I can't IMAGINE spending 15 hours a week apart from a baby
that young, as a full-time caregiver. I can't imagine saying, yep, I'm
selfish, but instead of trying to get past my selfishness, I'm just
going to go on being my selfish self.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net
Old February 15th 06, 11:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"tristyn" wrote in message
I can't IMAGINE spending 15 hours a week apart from a baby
that young, as a full-time caregiver.

That only averages out to be 1-2 hours a day away. That's a trip to the
grocery store. Not too much to ask at all. There are some babies that are in
day care for much longer than that and those babies and kids do just fine.
Remember there is more than one way to raise a baby and yours doesn't mean
it's right for everyone.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)