new rotavirus vaccine? Anyone had their child vaccinated?

Old July 17th 07, 03:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
JennP.

Default new rotavirus vaccine? Anyone had their child vaccinated?

On Jul 15, 10:04 pm, "dejablues" wrote:

Those few episodes are still burned into my brain all these years later,
ther were so awful.- Hide quoted text -

DD had rotavirus this past March at age 2.4 months and it was
*horrid*. My poor daughter was so sick and the diarrhea lasted for 8-9
days. I still can't believe she didn't end up hospitalized for
dehydration. She lost 5lbs! Something we definitely won't forget
anytime soon.

Knowing what I know now, I think I would have considered a vaccine if
it had been tested and proven for a while.

Wasn't there a vaccine a few years ago but it was pulled? Maybe I am
misremembering.

JennP.

Old July 17th 07, 01:12 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jeff

JennP. wrote:
On Jul 15, 10:04 pm, "dejablues" wrote:

Those few episodes are still burned into my brain all these years later,
ther were so awful.- Hide quoted text -

DD had rotavirus this past March at age 2.4 months and it was
*horrid*. My poor daughter was so sick and the diarrhea lasted for 8-9
days. I still can't believe she didn't end up hospitalized for
dehydration. She lost 5lbs! Something we definitely won't forget
anytime soon.

Knowing what I know now, I think I would have considered a vaccine if
it had been tested and proven for a while.

Wasn't there a vaccine a few years ago but it was pulled? Maybe I am
misremembering.

There was one, but the maker pulled it from the market when it looked
like there might be a slightly higher rate of intusseception in kids who
had the vaccine (it turned out there was). (Intusseception is a rare
problem when one parts of the intestine moves inside another, like
telescope tubes.) The new vaccine has been tested to make sure this
didn't happen before the vaccine was licensed and the CDC and FDA are
looking for this carefully, too.

Jeff

JennP.

Old July 18th 07, 12:36 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
shell8279

On Jul 17, 8:12 am, Jeff wrote:
JennP. wrote:
[...]

JennP.- Hide quoted text -

My DD was vaccinated for it and she had no side affects. I have only
heard of the disease, but from what I have heard it is dreadful. I
can't tell you what to do, but I wouldn't hesitate to have my next
baby faccinated.

Old July 18th 07, 04:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..

I'd figure that kids that get rotavirus in the first year or two of life
are in daycare? Mine never went, they only got it after being in a school
setting.

I read somewhere that is was something like 80% of kids got it by age 2
and almost all by age 5. As far as I know my kids haven't had it (they are
4 and 2) and it sounds like something you'd know about if they did have
it! The were both in part time daycare.

My kids have never had it that I know of. They definitely never had it as
babies or toddlers. Hunter was mildly sick when he was in kindergarten.
That could have been it - not sure. The big boys were in a daycare (and it
went through there as we got a note) but the twins are home. I assumed it
was because they were breastfed but maybe it was just luck - or a
combination

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old July 18th 07, 05:45 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

I would personally wait a lot longer than 1 year of introduction
before offering it to my children. Of course, my children didn't go to
daycare and we don't get out much period. You should weigh the risk
factors and the age of your child as well as to how it might affect
them. The first version was pulled due to the high incidence of GI
problems, but this last one was as well, even if only temporarily.
Just a few months ago, it was somewhat quietly taken off of the CDCs
list again during that time frame, and then a month or so later, it
was back on. I also know 2 children who got really ill after the
vaccine itself to the point the parents were quite worried and ER
visits were involved.

Two of my children have had it, 1 at the age of 4 and 1 at the age of
15 months. No ER visits here and not even a doctor visit with the 2nd
child who got it. Both cases were similar. Everything ran through them
and they self-regulated what their systems could handle and what they
could not. With the first case, the ped mentioned to only offer bland
foods, such as crackers, etc. but oddly enough those were the only
foods my daughter would even give a try when she had it. Each time it
lasted a couple of days. They had adequate fluid intake. Neither child
acted ill either. They went about their days as they normally would,
just with frequent and horrid-smelling BMs. My kids don't go to
daycare. I suspect my daughter at the age of 4 got it from her part-
time preschool and that my last baby got it while we were at Disney
when he was 15 months old. He touched anything and everything he could
get his hands on and frequently touched his mouth, and I guess we
weren't able to keep up with the exposure-washings ratio. Babies are
in more danger than those who get nutrition other ways than bottles,
can express they are thirsty, etc.

On Jul 15, 6:43?pm, don_tspamme wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to have my daughter immunized with
the new (as opposed to the old, problematic one) vaccine. I've spoken
to two different pediatricians about it, and they both feel its safe.
Has anyone had their child vaccinated? On the one hand, I'm wary
because its only been out a year, but apparently thousands of children
have been immunized with it without problems. And I hate the stomach
flu, if I could have been immunized for it, I'd probably do it!
Anyway, just wondering if any of you moms have, and how you feel about
it.

Old July 18th 07, 07:21 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Jul 15, 6:43?pm, don_tspamme wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to have my daughter immunized with
the new (as opposed to the old, problematic one) vaccine. I've spoken
to two different pediatricians about it, and they both feel its safe.
Has anyone had their child vaccinated? On the one hand, I'm wary
because its only been out a year, but apparently thousands of children
have been immunized with it without problems. And I hate the stomach
flu, if I could have been immunized for it, I'd probably do it!
Anyway, just wondering if any of you moms have, and how you feel about
it.

Firstly, you need to evaluate the age of your child and its
circumstances, IMO. I never gave my childen this vaccine. My first was
born in 1997 and thank heavens never had been offered the first one.
He also never developed rotavirus. My next 2 children did however.
Neither attended daycare and really only hung out at friends' and
family's places. There was no offer of a vaccine made, obviously, for
my 2nd baby because one was not available. My second child got
rotavirus when she was 4 (3 years ago) and she could communicate when
she was thirsty, whether or not she wanted to eat, etc. I think she
got it from preschool. My third was 15 months old and could also
adequately let me know what he needed (5 months ago). I think he got
it from a Disney park where he was frequently grabbing hold of all
kinds of stuff, including garbage cans. Each case was identical. The
pediatrician said to limit intake of greasy foods, milk, etc. and to
only offer up bland foods, such as crackers and dry toast. Both kids
actually turned down foods that they didn't feel like eating, even
their beloved pizza, as if they had heard his instructions, so they
self-regulated. Their fluid intake was adequate. Other than everything
running straight through them requiring bathroom breaks frequently,
they behaved completely normally and required no intervention of any
sort. Both cases passed within 2 days. I know 2 children who got
particularly ill, requiring ER visits and rehydration and very
concerned parents after receiving the newest vaccine. One year on the
market is too new for my taste, not to mention there was a question as
to problems a few months ago about this latest one and then it all of
a sudden was removed off of the CDCs list of recommended vaccines.
Within a short time frame, it was back on however the next time I
checked. Here is a link to review, and while it lists that 63-some
thousand kids were given the vaccine, it also lists in all of the
differing countries. You can bet the death from diarrheal illnesses is
faaaaarrr greater in countries where sanitary water is scarce, etc.
compared to places like the US, so you may want to do some digging as
to just how many children are affected in your area and how.

http://www.rotavirusvaccine.org/vaccine-facts.htm

Old July 19th 07, 06:22 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
don_tspamme

I believe the problem as to why it was removed from the CDC's list
might have been related to a news article stating that the new virus
was also associated with intussusception however after it was
investigated it turned out the the reporter was spinning it for
headlines.. there were some cases of intussusception but it was no
greater than what occurs spontaneously in unvaccinated children. So
the reporter took a naturally occurring number that would happen at
any rate statistically in unvaccinated kids, and made it sound like
the same problems that occurred with the old vaccine were happening
with the new vaccine, which was not the case. I spoke to my
pediatrician who explained it to me, and I also looked online at the
original article and subsequent articles and they confirmed what my
pediatrician had told me. If you know of another reason let me know.

My son is almost 3 and is currently in preschool and is, well, pretty
unsanitary at the moment.. LOL. So I'm leaning towards getting the
vaccination. I know if it was safe I'd wish my mother had vaccinated
me for it! I seem to recall getting it almost every year while I was
growing up... I'd rather spare my daughter that. My son is too old to
get it, so we won't escape it completely though...

Old July 19th 07, 07:03 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jeff

don_tspamme wrote:
[...]

The flu vaccine is given yearly and is a shot or can now be given
nasally in some people. The rotavirus vaccine is given orally, like
polio used to be given (yeap, I had and I gave it).

Jeff
Old July 19th 07, 11:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Jul 19, 1:22?pm, don_tspamme wrote:
I believe the problem as to why it was removed from the CDC's list
might have been related to a news article stating that the new virus
was also associated with intussusception however after it was
investigated it turned out the the reporter was spinning it for
headlines.. there were some cases of intussusception but it was no
greater than what occurs spontaneously in unvaccinated children. So
the reporter took a naturally occurring number that would happen at
any rate statistically in unvaccinated kids, and made it sound like
the same problems that occurred with the old vaccine were happening
with the new vaccine, which was not the case. I spoke to my
pediatrician who explained it to me, and I also looked online at the
original article and subsequent articles and they confirmed what my
pediatrician had told me. If you know of another reason let me know.

My only point being that it is still being watched carefully for any
issues. Anything that is being watched carefully for issues is just
still too new for me.

My son is almost 3 and is currently in preschool and is, well, pretty
unsanitary at the moment.. LOL. So I'm leaning towards getting the
vaccination. I know if it was safe I'd wish my mother had vaccinated
me for it! I seem to recall getting it almost every year while I was
growing up... I'd rather spare my daughter that. My son is too old to
get it, so we won't escape it completely though...

You just need to review statistics really to make your decision. In
the US there are 20-60 deaths per year, but 600,000 world-wide; stuff
like that.

Old July 21st 07, 06:05 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rob

Chris wrote:
[...]

If 80% of children are infected by age 2 why is safer to be infected by
a live virus than the vaccine that only contains the purified antigen
protein? My son got rotavirus it was pretty bad (not life threatening)
he just missed the cut off when the vaccine was released by a few weeks.

The virus is very contagious and I caught it our house looked like a
seen out of the Exorcist.