Can Living Outside U.S. Reduce Support Award?

Old August 18th 03, 07:35 PM
Blatt

Default Can Living Outside U.S. Reduce Support Award?

John Doe wrote in message ...

I was, in fact, forcibly returned to the United States for non-payment of
CS because I had been living abroad and paying would have meant going
hungry and being unable to contribute support to the household (note
however that this award for support was issued before I had emigrated
although after I was married to another woman).

The mother of the child receiving CS has now petitioned the court (for the
1st time in 14 years, the age of the child) for a modification of support,
and with the hearing a month from now, can I ask the court if it would
impose an award of support that would prevent me from emigrating to be with
my family?

It would be helpful if you defined "forcibly" and specified the
country from which you were removed, and whether you hold the
nationality of that country (and, if an EU/EEA country, another EU/EEA
nationality).

I can conceive of a find-word order that would force you to seek work
sufficient to pay the ordered child support, and punish you for not
being able to satisfy the court that you cannot meet the demand,
irrespective of the needs of subsequent family(ies) and their
survival.

There ain't no justice.

On the other hand, the bars of Latin America and Asia are filled with
"deadbeat dads" who have suffered under the slavery-oriented court
orders of ignorant judges in the USA and refuse to be cowed. One can
always buy a nationality and a passport, given sufficient assets, if
that is the issue.

Old August 18th 03, 07:37 PM
Blatt

And, as I now remember, there's worse: the guy who complained in one
newsgroup that his ex was pursuing him for child support for years
before ... and the kid was now living with him, and he couldn't afford
both to support the kid and pay the back support to his greedy ex.

And the judge didn't care.

Old August 19th 03, 02:06 AM

"Kenneth S." wrote:

On the assumption (probably totally incorrect) that Brian is not merely
a troll, I will confidently predict that Brian has a sad lesson coming.
The failure rate of second and subsequent marriages is even higher than
for first marriages in the U.S. So it's very probably that in the
not-too-distant future, BRIAN will be the target of "child support"
collection activities. Then he'll have an opportunity to know how
Ronaldo feels.

Stick to the issue, Kenneth. And get some new material. I'm not a
failure in marriage. Are you?