Rant: Early solid feeding

Old November 2nd 03, 02:40 AM
AlenasMom

Default Rant: Early solid feeding

I'm getting really sick of people telling me that I should have started
Alena on solids weeks ago... No, I shouldn't have!
One woman who told me this has a baby who is covered in rashes and flaky
skin. He's allergic to just about everything under the sun and she couldn't
breast feed because she didn't make enough. ( Qualified by the fact that he
would cry and her breasts would spray milk for the 6 weeks she did feed him
I sounded more like an OAL problem than anything else.)
So she started him on solids at 8 weeks. Her pediatrician told her too.

ARGH!

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest. Alena's just four months old...
we'll star t solids when she's ready.

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old November 2nd 03, 03:54 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

AlenasMom wrote:

I'm getting really sick of people telling me that I should have started
Alena on solids weeks ago...

I got around to reading last Sunday's paper this morning.
There was an article about baby/toddler nutrition, which
said 29% of babies start solids before 4 months. Other high
points:
3% of 9-11 month olds have candy *at least once a day*
9% of 9-11 month olds and 21% of 19-24 month olds have
french fries *at least once a day*
1/3 of children 4 months to 2 years consumed no fruits or
vegetables, and the aforementioned french fries counted as a
vegetable.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old November 2nd 03, 06:10 AM
KC

Yikes! That's terrible. I was really shocked about the no fruits or veggies thing.

KC -
buy or rent Whittlestone Breast Expressers at:
http://www.alittlestore.com

Old November 2nd 03, 07:35 AM
teapot

"AlenasMom" wrote in message .cable.rogers.com...
I'm getting really sick of people telling me that I should have started
Alena on solids weeks ago... No, I shouldn't have!
One woman who told me this has a baby who is covered in rashes and flaky
skin. He's allergic to just about everything under the sun and she couldn't
breast feed because she didn't make enough. ( Qualified by the fact that he
would cry and her breasts would spray milk for the 6 weeks she did feed him
I sounded more like an OAL problem than anything else.)
So she started him on solids at 8 weeks. Her pediatrician told her too.

ARGH!

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest. Alena's just four months old...
we'll star t solids when she's ready.

I was talking about this to my bloke last night, who thinks that
becuase MOo boy was interested in a biscuit he is ready for solids.
'Fine, have a baby whos intolterant to everything becuase you wanted
to stuff his cute little face full of biccy' oh how I ranted! It's
ok, I persuaded him that it would be silly to put him onto solids yet
but still it made me realise that the only people I know who are still
esclusivley breastfeeding at 5 months are people on MKB.

I am biting my tounge left right and centre when I see mothers talk
about their babies excema and in the next breath about how hungry they
are and how they needed solids. One mother was proud that she was
still breastfeedng at 5 months - and quite right too, but was only
doing it becuase of his excema whilst giving him formula as well. I
only discoverd the word 'Lactivist' the other day and that is so what
I am.

teapot and the Moo (5 months)
Old November 2nd 03, 07:52 AM
Herself

AlenasMom wrote:

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest. Alena's just four months old...
we'll star t solids when she's ready.

Irish Marie is going through the same thing. She has a friend who
started her 14 (?) week old already on solids. And the mom has food
allergies as well. It's just crazy.
--
'Tis Herself
Old November 2nd 03, 03:38 PM
Anne Rogers

I was talking about this to my bloke last night, who thinks that
becuase MOo boy was interested in a biscuit he is ready for solids.
'Fine, have a baby whos intolterant to everything becuase you wanted
to stuff his cute little face full of biccy' oh how I ranted! It's
ok, I persuaded him that it would be silly to put him onto solids yet
but still it made me realise that the only people I know who are still
esclusivley breastfeeding at 5 months are people on MKB.

we're sort of having the same issue, every day my dh asks me if I'm going
to give Nathanael solids, everyday I say no, not yet, I'm currently
preparing for it though, by cooking up loads of vegetables and pureeing
them and freezing them.

I am biting my tounge left right and centre when I see mothers talk

about their babies excema and in the next breath about how hungry they
are and how they needed solids. One mother was proud that she was
still breastfeedng at 5 months - and quite right too, but was only
doing it becuase of his excema whilst giving him formula as well. I
only discoverd the word 'Lactivist' the other day and that is so what
I am.

We've finally ditched the last bottle of formula after using it after
Nathanaels severe weight gain problems (=weight loss), I'm sooooo happy we
are back to exclusive breast feeding (he's 5 months), I never want to give
him formula again.

Old November 2nd 03, 03:56 PM

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
[...]

Yay Anne, good for you!

Nikki

Old November 2nd 03, 05:58 PM
AlenasMom

[...]

Anne that's awesome!! Way to go!

Old November 2nd 03, 06:59 PM
Alison

[...]

Well done Anne, you must feel good :-)

Oh everyone outwith our garden wall has asked if ds is on solids yet (he's
21 weeks minus 6). Both DP and me think it's a bit mean to cram food down
the gullet of a wee person that can't even sit up yet. And I was really
chuffed when DP said the other day "The WHO recommends 6 months don't
they" - I mean I hadn't told him this so he's obviously been researching the
issue in his own time (that makes me kinda warm n proud). Apparently the
*average* time of a LLL consultant to exclusively breastfeed is 7 months -
good enough for them, good enough for us!

My family keep shaking their heads and muttering about being unconventional
and hippy - organic gardener, organic foodie, homebirth wishes, no drugs,
cloth nappies, exclusive b/f for ages, home education possibility etc etc.
But we're happy and, in the main, healthy.

--Alison

Old November 2nd 03, 07:55 PM
Iuil

"Anne Rogers" wrote

We've finally ditched the last bottle of formula after using it after
Nathanaels severe weight gain problems (=weight loss), I'm sooooo happy we
are back to exclusive breast feeding (he's 5 months), I never want to give
him formula again.

Whoo-hoo.

IIRC, I dropped the last formula bottle around the same time (we had similar
problems with weight loss followed by poor weight gain). DD hasn't had
formula since and she's now 16 months old. It's only in the last couple of
months that she's even shown interest in drinking water or other liquids
when I'm around.

Jean

--
HOLLY: Nothing wrong with dog's milk. Full of goodness, full of
vitamins, full of marrowbone jelly. Lasts longer than any other type