Green nappies

Old February 22nd 04, 05:06 AM
Deirdre

Default Green nappies

Hello all,
De-lurking again, as I'm wont to do now & then for a question:

DS has had very slightly green-tinged poops intermittently for the last 10
days or so, and I've been trying to make sure to feed from one breast per
session to prevent foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. In the last 3 days though,
he's been particularly fussy (which, for his mellow self, means repetitive
whining, but nothing approaching colicky behavior by any means), has been
pulling of the breast, crying a bit during feeds and been gassy.

There are other influences here too, though.
I just started pumping in the hopes of having a small emergency stash (I'm a
SAHM). Since he'd never fed from a bottle, I whipped one out of the cabinet,
loaded it up & gave a try. Happily, he took it, but he swallowed plenty of
air in the process and spent a few of painful hours getting rid of it. He
also just got his first round of vaccinations at the ped on Friday, and, as
you'd imagine, had a fairly icky day in the hours that ensued.

Well, tonight we discovered a distinctly dark green poop in his diaper.

So, I'm wondering -- should this be read as a sign of definite imbalance, or
could it just as likely be a combination of bottle/air bubbles +
vaccinations + lesser imbalance?

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

Deirdre & Mr. Baby (12/20/03)

Old February 22nd 04, 04:33 PM
FayeC

Hi Deirdre (LOVE your name...hehehe DD is also Deirdre)

Try feeding from one breast for 2 nursing sessions instead of one. I set a
period of 4 hours per breast and if she nursed 2 or 3 times during that time
slot she would take one breast only (unless she was very hungry and needed
both) but that would usually be like one full nursing on one breast, then
about 2-3 hours later another full nursing on the same breast and a sip of
the other...then next time I would give her the one she had sipped from
before first, etc...
Another thing to consider is your diet. If you have eaten something lately
that you hadn't before that could have caused some kind of reaction on your
son.
If it makes you feel better many babies go through fussy times at his
age...DD was fussy for 3 months everyday at the same time of the day......
Then out of a sudden she grew out of it....
It will go away

Hugs,

FayeC

Old February 23rd 04, 04:35 AM
Deirdre

FayeC wrote:
Hi Deirdre (LOVE your name...hehehe DD is also Deirdre)

I noticed your daughter's name in one of your earlier posts and of course,
had to smile Not too many people choose that name outside of Ireland
these days, it seems. grin

Try feeding from one breast for 2 nursing sessions instead of one. I
set a period of 4 hours per breast and if she nursed 2 or 3 times
during that time slot she would take one breast only (unless she was
very hungry and needed both) but that would usually be like one full
nursing on one breast, then about 2-3 hours later another full
nursing on the same breast and a sip of the other...then next time I
would give her the one she had sipped from before first, etc...

I'd been alternating per session, but hadn't considered the repeat sessions
as you describe. Good idea!

Another thing to consider is your diet. If you have eaten something
lately that you hadn't before that could have caused some kind of
reaction on your son.

Happily, today's output seems more normal, so at this point, who knows?
Here's hoping I worried prematurely.

If it makes you feel better many babies go through fussy times at his
age...DD was fussy for 3 months everyday at the same time of the
day...... Then out of a sudden she grew out of it....
It will go away

I do realize, but as I'm sure you know -- it's one thing to know it and
another to keep that in mind when your little bean looks so unhappy At
any rate, he's been better today, thankfully. I will, however, keep your
suggestion in mind & try it out. Thanks for your response!

Deirdre

Old February 23rd 04, 02:30 PM
Nikki

Deirdre wrote:
Hello all,
De-lurking again, as I'm wont to do now & then for a question:

DS has had very slightly green-tinged poops intermittently for the
last 10 days or so, and I've been trying to make sure to feed from
one breast per session to prevent foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

That is a good idea. Mine always had green diapers (and sometimes a bit
mucousy) a bit before, during, and after, any kind of cold or virus. If she
has any kind of virus or cold it would make her a little more fussy as well.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old February 23rd 04, 09:09 PM
FayeC

Great to hear the little one is feeling better already ))
I do understand the worry you are feeling.....I think all of us here have
been through that phase and we all know how difficult it is to know that it
will get better but not be able to help or find an immediate solution for
their pain and/or fussiness....

As for the name.....well....I have this wonderful obsession with Ireland
Have spent the best of times there and I hope to be able to take my children
and husband there one day.

Cheers,

FayeC

"Deirdre" wrote in message
news

Old February 24th 04, 03:40 AM
Deirdre

Nikki wrote:

That is a good idea. Mine always had green diapers (and sometimes a
bit mucousy) a bit before, during, and after, any kind of cold or
virus. If she has any kind of virus or cold it would make her a
little more fussy as well. --
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

That's something I'd never heard of, good to know! Happily, he shows no
signs of illness, but if (when) he gets a bug I won't be surprised by the
colors he produces. Thanks, Nikki!

Old February 24th 04, 03:41 AM
Deirdre

FayeC wrote:
Great to hear the little one is feeling better already ))
I do understand the worry you are feeling.....I think all of us here
have been through that phase and we all know how difficult it is to
know that it will get better but not be able to help or find an
immediate solution for their pain and/or fussiness....

I like to pretend I'm all cool and collected for a first-time mom & then I
get all thrown by colorful poop. LOL Oh well. Better hyper-attentive than
not, right? grin

As for the name.....well....I have this wonderful obsession with
Ireland Have spent the best of times there and I hope to be able
to take my children and husband there one day.

Sending good travel vibes your way...

Green tea Wendy Pregnancy 17 July 9th 04 03:46 PM
Why I bother posting to usenet... Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 3 May 31st 04 05:36 AM
Green and mucousy Alphawave Breastfeeding 11 October 3rd 03 03:51 AM
Green poop and milk issue Andrea Breastfeeding 3 September 4th 03 10:53 PM
Cloth nappies in Australia Daye Pregnancy 3 August 17th 03 05:34 AM