insomnia

Old October 28th 05, 10:41 PM
Anne Rogers

Default insomnia

Of course, Benadryl will also make you sleepy the next morning, so it's
almost best as a preventive measure, ie take it at bedtime, not at 2am.

tends not to work if you take it at 2am anyway, works best if you take it
half an hour before you go to bed.

In a similar vein to Amy, I had a bad patch of insomnia around 22 weeks and
it was a vicious circle, I would sleep in the afternoon as I was so tired,
then I wouldn't be able to get to sleep at night, I eventually decided that
what I needed to kick it was some external help, it was only 3 or 4 nights
of Benadryl to get the pattern of sleep back again.

Benadryl is only likely to work if it is problems getting to sleep, it
doesn't seem to help you stay asleep.

At the very end of my pregnancy I was prescribed temazepam, the idea being
it might reduce the amount of painkillers I had to take and be the lesser of
2 evils, unfortunately as the problem was pain, it had minimal effect.

Anne

Old October 29th 05, 12:14 AM
Mary W.

oregonchick wrote:
I don't remember the insomnia being this bad last pregnancy... Between my
hips and lower back hurting like the dickens, wicked heartburn, too many
things on my mind, I just can't sleep. I had a horrible day yesterday, and
was so looking forward to a good night's sleep. I was just exhausted. I
ended up on the couch all night, barely catching 40 winks. I'm only 34
weeks right now, how will I ever survive the next 6?

I had this too. What helped me was listening to a book on tape. I'd find
that if I lay in the dark with a book on tape, I'd drift off.
Watching TV and actually reading just kept me up.

Just an idea,

Mary W.

Old October 29th 05, 12:40 AM
oregonchick

"Nikki" wrote in message
news:Q_Cdna0U8P6Z9v_enZ2dnUVZ_sqdnZ2d@prairiewave. com...
Sue wrote:
"stasya" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a week or so period of insomnia, luckily it went away. I do
still wake up in the middle of the night and lay awake for half an
hour or so for some reason. I have an aquaintance who said that she
tracked her pregnancy nighttime wakings and said that when her
babies were born, they kept the same schedule at night as her
pregnancy wakings!

That happened to me too. I woke up to go to the bathroom every
morning at 3 am and sure enough, when the baby got here (I can't
remember which one it was), she would wake up at 3 also.

This is not what I want to hear ;-)

Yeah, no sh**!

Old October 29th 05, 12:42 AM
oregonchick

"V." wrote in message

"oregonchick" wrote in message
I don't remember the insomnia being this bad last pregnancy... Between my
hips and lower back hurting like the dickens, wicked heartburn, too many
things on my mind, I just can't sleep. I had a horrible day yesterday,
and was so looking forward to a good night's sleep. I was just exhausted.
I ended up on the couch all night, barely catching 40 winks. I'm only 34
weeks right now, how will I ever survive the next 6?

Betsy

Honestly? When it gets that bad for me I do allow myself to take a
Benadryl. My midwife said it was fine during pregnancy
(occasionally....if taken too regularly you could get a newborn that has
to go through a type of withdrawal process). I figure that my baby will
be better off if I'm at least sort-of well rested than if I go too long
without sleep. IMHO, the effects of high cortisol levels (stress hormone
which also goes up as a result of sleep deprivation) are less than the
chance of problems related to Benadryl.
Of course, Benadryl will also make you sleepy the next morning, so it's
almost best as a preventive measure, ie take it at bedtime, not at 2am.

Chamomile tea helps some, as does a warm bath.

Good luck!
Amy

Oh, I've been taking unisom and benadryl the entire pregnancy. And my ob
said it was fine. It's not a daily thing though. But neither seem to help
when the reason I can't sleep is pain or heartburn...

Old October 29th 05, 03:30 AM
Jamie Clark

"Nikki" wrote in message
oregonchick wrote:
I don't remember the insomnia being this bad last pregnancy... Between
my hips and lower back hurting like the dickens, wicked
heartburn, too many things on my mind, I just can't sleep. I had a
horrible day yesterday, and was so looking forward to a good night's
sleep. I was just exhausted. I ended up on the couch all night,
barely catching 40 winks. I'm only 34 weeks right now, how will I
ever survive the next 6?

I don't know. I don't even have the aches and pains yet and have months
to go. The insomnia is killing me. I was up at 3:30 this am and that is
it, no more sleep. I had it first trimester with my first two but it was
long gone by now. I'll be a zombie before the baby gets here at this
rate.
--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

but it's good practice, right?...........ducks and runs for
cover...............

I need sleep dammit! TV sucks at 3:30 in the morning.

Get TiVo, and 3:30am will be one of your favorite times of the day!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old October 29th 05, 03:31 AM
Jamie Clark

"Sue" wrote in message
"stasya" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a week or so period of insomnia, luckily it went away. I do still
wake up in the middle of the night and lay awake for half an hour or so
for some reason. I have an aquaintance who said that she tracked her
pregnancy nighttime wakings and said that when her babies were born,
they kept the same schedule at night as her pregnancy wakings!

That happened to me too. I woke up to go to the bathroom every morning at
3
am and sure enough, when the baby got here (I can't remember which one it
was), she would wake up at 3 also.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Taylor did the same thing -- kicked her birthmother every night at 3am, then
woke up for me every night at 3am after she was born!

Old October 31st 05, 04:17 PM
Nikki

oregonchick wrote:

Oh, I've been taking unisom and benadryl the entire pregnancy. And
my ob said it was fine. It's not a daily thing though. But neither
seem to help when the reason I can't sleep is pain or heartburn...

I go to sleep just fine - very easily. It is staying asleep that is my
problem. I suffered terrible reflux at night during my last two pregnancies
and have already had minor trouble this time. I intend to try those bed
riser blocks under the front two legs of my bed this time to see if it
helps. You may want to consider that.
http://www.spacesavers.com/bedribedblse.html

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

30-week insomnia -- normal? Vijay Pregnancy 7 April 12th 05 10:47 PM
Sudden insomnia in 7yo Circe General 2 December 1st 04 11:13 PM
Postpartum insomnia? ChitaShines Pregnancy 2 August 2nd 04 08:55 PM
Insomnia Cherie Pregnancy 7 May 5th 04 04:32 AM
Insomnia...AGAIN!! Carol Ann Pregnancy 6 March 15th 04 09:21 PM