Hypertension

Old July 7th 04, 06:37 PM
Kazh

Default Hypertension

Does anyone know of any safe medication that I can be prescribed whilst =
TTC ?

I was on one medication and checked it up on the internet and it said it =
wasn't safe to use whilst pregnant or TTC. I saw my doctor and explained =
I wanted them changing and she prescribed. NIFEDIPINE 20MG twice =
daily..............now at my 3 week check-up she has changed it to =
ADALAT LA60 (nifedipine) once daily............I've read the leaflet =
with BOTH of these products and BOTH say not to be used during pregnancy =
or whilst TTC as they can cause birth defects..................why has =
my doctor prescribed me something I have asked her not to ?

--=20
Kazh=20
TTC baby #3 for me #1 for hubbie
TTC Since August 2003

Old July 7th 04, 09:11 PM
Nikki

Kazh wrote:
Does anyone know of any safe medication that I can be prescribed
whilst TTC ?

I was on one medication and checked it up on the internet and it said
it wasn't safe to use whilst pregnant or TTC. I saw my doctor and
explained I wanted them changing and she prescribed. NIFEDIPINE 20MG
twice daily..............now at my 3 week check-up she has changed it
to ADALAT LA60 (nifedipine) once daily............I've read the
leaflet with BOTH of these products and BOTH say not to be used
during pregnancy or whilst TTC as they can cause birth
defects..................why has my doctor prescribed me something I
have asked her not to ?

I take hydrochlorothiaz (a diuretic). I asked the doctor if I needed to be
on more reliable birth control (not ttc now) to prevent conception while on
the med. She said no, that it wouldn't be a problem. However, after your
post I looked it up on the net and it says not to take it while pg or ttc
either so I don't know for sure. It also gets into breastmilk. I'll
definitely have to look into it if I ttc again. I was done nursing when I
started it.

I'll be looking for more informative responses!!

--
Nikki

Old July 7th 04, 09:56 PM
Kazh

I looked mine up to see if there were any side effects and only came =
across the information by accident.
I trusted my doctor to give me the medication I asked for, and she =
failed me.

Old July 7th 04, 10:05 PM
Circe

Kazh wrote:
Does anyone know of any safe medication that I can be prescribed
whilst TTC ?

I don't know what medications are available, but when I had transient
gestational hypertension with my third baby, I was briefly prescribed
Aldomet and I assumed it was considered safe for use during pregnancy. It
didn't lower my BP, but that's because I didn't have true hypertension. Of
course, I was prescribed it quite late in pregnancy (at term), so I don't
know if it might have teratogenic effects earlier in pregnancy.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

This week's suggested Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker:
"Four More Wars!"

Old July 7th 04, 10:07 PM
Circe

Kazh wrote:
I looked mine up to see if there were any side effects and only
came across the information by accident.
I trusted my doctor to give me the medication I asked for, and she
failed me.

Of course, some of this stuff about drugs being contraindicated during
pregnancy is more CYA on the part of the drug's manufacturer than anything
else. They rarely test anything deliberately in pregnant women because of
the potential for teratogenic effects, so the typical manufacturer's
recommendation on virtually any drug on the market is that it should not be
taken during pregnancy. So I'm not *sure* your doctor failed you--I'd
suggest contacting her, telling her what you found and asking her opinion.

Old July 7th 04, 10:38 PM
Donna Metler

"Circe" wrote in message
Kazh wrote:
I looked mine up to see if there were any side effects and only
came across the information by accident.
I trusted my doctor to give me the medication I asked for, and she
failed me.

Of course, some of this stuff about drugs being contraindicated during
pregnancy is more CYA on the part of the drug's manufacturer than anything
else. They rarely test anything deliberately in pregnant women because of
the potential for teratogenic effects, so the typical manufacturer's
recommendation on virtually any drug on the market is that it should not

be
taken during pregnancy. So I'm not *sure* your doctor failed you--I'd
suggest contacting her, telling her what you found and asking her opinion.
--

Agreed. Some of the women on my PE group who had moderate PE were actually
prescribed anti-hypertensives during pregnancy, because the meds let the

Old July 7th 04, 10:54 PM
Kazh

When I asked her to change my meds she said she'd ''have to look in to =
it and find a safe drug to use'' THEN put me on defidepine !! if I can =
find the info in a matters of minutes on the net why wasn't she aware of =
it.

Old July 7th 04, 10:55 PM
Kazh

I'll be phoning first thing in the morning to get an appointment but =
wanted to find a safe drug to suggest to her BEFORE going back.

Old July 7th 04, 10:57 PM
Kazh

These actually states '' causes birth defects during animal testing'' on =
several websites AND in the leaflet that came with them.

. ..

Old July 8th 04, 01:18 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Kazh wrote:

*These actually states '' causes birth defects during animal testing'' on
*several websites AND in the leaflet that came with them.

Pssst. Wanna hear a secret?? Just because something causes an adverse
effect in one species, there is no reason to believe it will necessarily
cause the same effect in another. This is the big problem with animal
testing - you can test out the wazoo and find nothing, and then it turns
out the drug either kills people or simply doesn't work, or you can test
and find out it is very very dangerous for rats, mice, dogs, etc - and a
wonderful drug that causes no harm at all in humans never makes it to
clinical trials. Big bummer.

That said, I know nothing about nifedipine in particular and would second
Circe's advice of calling and talking with your physician and perhaps also
with a clinical pharmacologist. I know that labetalol is one
anti-hypertensive drug commonly used in pregnancy, too, if that is at all
helpful to you.

Good luck!!!