28 weeks-definite PE signs

Old October 5th 04, 07:30 PM
Donna Metler

Default 28 weeks-definite PE signs

We made it to 28 weeks! Yay!!! Major milestone!

Unfortunately, there are some signs that things may not be staying as stable
as we'd hoped. My BP is swinging less, and seems to have settled in the
130/85 average range-which is not officially hypertensive, but is
significantly higher than what it was earlier in pregnancy. I also have
slight protein, for the first time in this pregnancy, and am starting to
have some fluid retention (4 lbs weight gain in a week when I've been
averaging less than 1). Nothiing too serious, but it definitely has me very
nervous-especially since about the only advice is to drink lots of water and
spend as much time on my left side as possible, plus keep monitoring at
home. Very unsatisfying, and very scary-I keep trying to tell myself that
the fast onset pre-eclampsia I had last time is the exception to the rule,
but it's not working well.

We also did a non-stress test today-actually, we ended up doing two.
Apparently when the nurse hooked me up the first time, she didn't get things
fastened tightly enough, so every time Cuddles would kick (and I think she
was aiming for the monitor), she'd knock the monitor out of position, and it
would lose her heartbeat until it got resettled. Then, about the time it had
picked up her heartbeat again, she'd knock it off. So we ended up doing a
second one, with me holding the monitor in place, and things turned out
fine. She's definitely on the active side when she wants to be.

Just enough changes to make me nervous.

Old October 5th 04, 07:49 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Donna Metler wrote:

We made it to 28 weeks! Yay!!! Major milestone!

Woo hoo!

Unfortunately, there are some signs that things may not be staying as stable
as we'd hoped. My BP is swinging less, and seems to have settled in the
130/85 average range-which is not officially hypertensive, but is
significantly higher than what it was earlier in pregnancy. I also have
slight protein, for the first time in this pregnancy, and am starting to
have some fluid retention (4 lbs weight gain in a week when I've been
averaging less than 1). Nothiing too serious, but it definitely has me very
nervous-especially since about the only advice is to drink lots of water and
spend as much time on my left side as possible, plus keep monitoring at
home. Very unsatisfying, and very scary-I keep trying to tell myself that
the fast onset pre-eclampsia I had last time is the exception to the rule,
but it's not working well.

I know that after your previous experiences, probably
nothing could make you relax. If it helps at all, I (and many
others) have had BPs in that range and a little protein
without having any further complications. I'm sure that's
not the same as having those same issues when you've had
severe PE in the past, but maybe it's a little something
to hold onto.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 5th 04, 08:32 PM
Nikki

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Donna Metler wrote:

[...]

I'm sure wishing you the best Donna. I can't imagine how stressful it all
is, and on bedrest too!

Just to add on to Ericka's post I had BP's higher then that and trace
proteins through out my pregnancy and went past my due date without any
drama at all. I did consent to an induction after my due date but it was a
prophylactic one, not a necessary one.

Take care and best of luck!

--
Nikki

Old October 5th 04, 09:21 PM
Leslie

(((Donna))) and prayers too. I'm sure everything will be fine, but you sure
don't need the worry, especially when you can't go out and do something fun and
distracting.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old October 6th 04, 01:30 AM
Cathy

Donna Metler wrote:
We made it to 28 weeks! Yay!!! Major milestone!

That's great!

Just enough changes to make me nervous.

Sorry to hear that. But I look forward to hearing the 29 week update - got
to be positive.

Cathy

Old October 6th 04, 12:09 PM
Carli Groven

Donna,

I had PE with all three of my preggies, so I know how you feel. I was
always worried about seizures, especially just this last one (I delivered a
little over a week ago...) because my BP was averaging in the 150/100 range,
even while on BP medication. I was so happy because the high BP seemed to
be the only sign of trouble since about 3 months, so we thought (hoped, more
like it) I was just going to have PIH this time. It wasn't until I went in
at 35 weeks that there was suddenly an excessive amount of protein in my
urine. It's amazing how quick and fickle PE can be. Even so, everything
turned out fine, as I'm sure it will with you. Hang in there - the bed
rest, laying on your left side, and constant NST's are a pain, but well
worth the inconvenience. Take care!

Carli

t...

Old October 7th 04, 05:01 AM

"Donna Metler" wrote in message et...

Just enough changes to make me nervous.

Congrats on 28 weeks and hang in there! You're doing really well, you know.

--
C, mama to twenty-three month old nursling
Old October 7th 04, 05:40 AM
Amy

28 weeks is great....I'll continue to keep everything crossed for Cuddles'
safe arrival, whenever that happens.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,