Rep. Dan Burton Addresses Congress on Mercury: Cites New Evidence Showing Mercury Connection to Autism

Old December 14th 07, 06:00 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,sci.med.nursing,misc.headlines
Ilena Rose

Default Rep. Dan Burton Addresses Congress on Mercury: Cites New Evidence Showing Mercury Connection to Autism

Note from Ilena Rosenthal & The Humantics Foundation

It is indeed difficult to believe how Stephen Barrett and the other
Health Frauds work so diligently to deny the damage caused to many by
vaccinations ... how can their pocketbooks be so much more important
than the lives of children??

http://ilenarose.blogspot.com
Health Lover

Rep. Dan Burton Addresses Congress on Mercury

http://www.capwiz.com/a-champ/issues...666286&type=CU

Cites New Evidence Showing Mercury Connection to Autism

For Links To Rep. Burton's Letter to Vacine Court and To Read the
DeSoto Study Click Here :
http://a-champ.org/vaccinecourt_burton_desoto.html ...

BLOOD LEVELS OF MERCURY ARE RELATED TO DIAGNOSIS OF AUTISM -- (House
of Representatives - December 11, 2007)
The SPEAKER pro tempore. Under a previous order of the House, the
gentleman from Indiana (Mr. Burton) is recognized for 5 minutes.

Mr. BURTON of Indiana. Madam Speaker, it's late at night here in the
Capitol, and most of my colleagues are in their offices or have gone
home. But I want to talk about an issue that's very, very important
that we've been talking about now for the last 8 years.

I was chairman of the Government Reform Committee for 6 years, and
during that time, my grandson became autistic; and we checked to find
out what was the cause, trying to find out, because my daughter and
her husband were just extremely upset about it, as we were as
grandparents. And we found that he had received nine shots in one day,
seven of which had a product called themarasol, a preservative, in it.
And the themarasol was 50 percent ethylmercury. And so I decided to
have hearings to try to find out if the ethylmercury in those vaccines
had anything to do with the autistic problem my grandson had. And we
found, by having many, many hearings over a 4-year period, we found
that scientists from all over the world and leading doctors and
educators here that work with autistic children, that the mercury in
the vaccines did contribute to the autistic epidemic that we had.

We used to have one in 10,000 children that were diagnosed as being
autistic. One in 10,000. Today the Centers for Disease Control will
tell you it's one out of 150. It's an absolute epidemic in this
country. And we have been fighting and fighting and fighting to make
sure that those families who have been damaged and those children who
have been damaged by autism get some kind of compensation. And that's
why, and I think in 1986 we passed what was called the Vaccine Injury
Compensation Fund, and it took some of the money from the
pharmaceutical companies when they sold their vaccine products to put
into this fund to take care of people who are damaged by vaccines. And
one of the reasons we did that was because of the issue of autism,
although at that time I didn't know much about it.

In any event, the Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund has about $3
billion in it, and the people who's children have been adversely
affected by mercury and have autism have not been able to get anything
out of that. They have to go through a process and see a special
master, and he has to judge whether or not the information that he has
and the information they have lead them to believe that the mercury in
the vaccines caused autism. And so far the special masters have not
been able to ascertain, according to them, that the mercury in the
vaccines does cause autism.

Well, last week, 2 years ago, let's see, 4 years ago there was a
report, 2004, that said that there was definitely no connection
between the mercury and the vaccinations and the children getting
autism. Well, this past November, just last month, two doctors, Dr.
Catherine DeSoto and Dr. Robert T. Hitlan, both very renowned doctors
across this country, they have Ph.D.s in medicine, they wrote an
article in the Journal of Child Neurology. And you can't discount
this. What they're saying is fact. I want to read to you the summary
of what they said. They said: ``The question of what is leading to the
apparent increase in autism is of great importance. Like the link
between aspirin and heart attack, even a small effect can have a major
health implication. If there is any link between autism and mercury,
it is absolutely crucial that the first reports of the question are
not falsely stated and that no link occurs.''

Now, get this: ``We have reanalyzed the data set forth originally
reported in 2004 and have found that the original P value was in error
and that a significant relation does exist between the blood levels of
mercury and diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder. Moreover, the
hair sample analysis results offer some support for the idea that
persons with autism may be less efficient and more variable at
eliminating mercury from the blood.''

The fact of the matter is the mercury in the vaccines causes autism.
It's not the only cause of autism. But now we have scientific evidence
by two leading doctors in the Journal of Child Neurology that says
without doubt, the mercury in the vaccines does cause autism, is a
major contributing factor.

Well, I've written, contacted Congressman Kucinich, who's chairman of
the subcommittee that deals with this in the Capitol, and I've also
contacted the special masters that decide these cases and have urged
them to re-evaluate all of these cases where people who have autistic
children have found that the mercury in the vaccines may have been a
major cause.

Now we know that it is a cause of autism, and those people who have
suffered, and those kids who have suffered need to be compensated out
of the Vaccine Injury Compensation Fund.

So I'd like to say to my colleagues, I hope you will join me in making
sure that the information I just read gets out to everybody. These
kids are going to live to be 50, 60, 70 years old, and unless there's
some help for them, they're going to be a real burden on the taxpayers
and on society. We have an obligation to make sure they're taken care
of.

I hope all of my colleagues will read this statement tonight and help
us to change the attitude of our health agencies and the special
masters dealing with this problem.

In November 2007, the well-respected scientific journal, the Journal
of Child Neurology, published an article authored by Drs. M. Catherine
DeSoto and Robert T. Hiltlan (PhDs), detailing their findings on the
relationship between mercury and autism spectrum disorders. The
article was entitled ``Blood Levels of Mercury are Related to
Diagnosis of Autism: A Reanalysis of an Important Data Set.''

To summarize the article, Drs. DeSoto and Hiltlan reanalyzed a data
set the subject of a 2004 study that found no relationship between
mercury and autism. By reexamining the data set, Drs. DeSoto and
Hiltlan determined that the conclusions of the 2004 study were wrong,

and that a relation does exist between the blood levels of mercury and
diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder.
As Drs. DeSoto and Hiltlan noted in their article, there has been a
marked increase in the diagnosis of autism in this country over the
last 20 years. In fact we have gone from an autism rate of 1 in 10,000
to 1 in 150. So, answering the question of what is (and is not) a
possible contributing cause of autism is crucial, not only to the
millions of American families currently affected by autism but to
future generations.

We simply cannot dismiss or downplay scientific research, which has
the potential to unlock the mysteries surrounding what is causing our
Nation's autism crisis. We owe it

to the thousands of families living with autism to follow the science
wherever it may lead.

That's why in late November, I wrote to the Chairman of the House
Subcommittee on Domestic Policy, Representative Dennis Kucinich; and
the Special Masters assigned to the Congressionally-created Office of
Vaccine Program within the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, alerting them
to the findings in Drs. DeSoto and Hiltlan's latest research.

Specifically, I asked the Special Masters to take Drs. DeSoto and
Hiltlan's latest findings into consideration as they carry out their
mandate of managing and adjudicating childhood vaccine claims. I asked
Chairman Kucinich to hold a hearing on the environmental risks of
mercury in childhood vaccines before the 110th Congress ends.

Given the high stakes involved, scientific reports discussing a
connection between blood mercury levels and autism deserve serious
consideration and review by the medical and scientific community.

During my tenure as Chairman of the House Committee on Government and
Reform, I spent 6 years researching and hearing testimony from the
autism advocacy and scientific communities about the autism epidemic
sweeping our country. Over and over again, questions of causation,
namely the use of thimerosal--the mercury-based vaccine
preservative--in childhood vaccines were raised.

Here's what I learned:

A number of credible national and international scientists testified
before the Committee that mercury in vaccines is a contributing factor
in developing neurological disorders, including, but not limited to,
modest declines in intelligent quotient, autism, and Alzheimer's
disease. And the body of evidence to support that conclusion gets
larger everyday.

Experience tells us that, as with any other epidemic, while there may
be underlying genetic susceptibilities, there usually is also some
type of environmental trigger as well--be it exposure to a virus,
fungus, heavy metal, or pollutant. There has never, to the best of my
knowledge, been a purely genetic epidemic.

Genetics alone cannot explain how we went from 1 in 10,000 children
with autism spectrum disorders 20 years ago to 1 in 150 today. The
increase happened far too quickly for a genetic shift.

As mercury is a known bio-accumulative neurotoxin, it is biologically
plausible that it is a contributing factor to our Nation's autism
epidemic.

Autism has no cure, and while it is a life-changing condition, it is
not a life-threatening disease. This means that the autistic children
of today will be the autistic adults and autistic seniors, 20, 30, 50,
even 70 years from now. Our Nation is ill prepared to deal with the
complex educational, financial, housing, and health care challenges
posed by a generation of autistic individuals.

My only grandson is autistic, so this is an issue that is very close
to my heart; and for the last several years I have fought hard to
raise awareness of this disease, and increase research into the causes
of autism, as well as new treatments for those suffering with autism.

As a Nation, I believe, we have a collective responsibility to do
everything we can to not only stop the further spread of this disease
but to help the millions of children, adults and families afflicted
with it.

--END--
Old December 14th 07, 07:05 PM posted to misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative, talk.politics.medicine,sci.med.nursing, misc.headlines
Kevysmom[_2_]

But now we have scientific evidence
by two leading doctors in the Journal of Child Neurology that says
without doubt, the mercury in the vaccines does cause autism, is a
major contributing factor.

Gotta LOVE Dan Burton, even if he is a Republican!

This is a GREAT article, Thanks so much for sharing it!!!

Old December 15th 07, 12:24 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,sci.med.nursing,misc.headlines
Mark Probert

Kevysmom wrote:

For Links To Rep. Burton's Letter to Vacine Court and To Read the
DeSoto Study Click Here :http://a-champ.org/vaccinecourt_burton_desoto.html...

Donna, when you were in school, did you ever learn about the separation
of powers, where the legislative branch does not meddle in the executive
or judicial branch? This is basic poli sci 101, or civics.

I am aware of serious ethical questions being raised as to the propriety
of Buton's actions.
Old December 15th 07, 01:41 AM posted to misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative, talk.politics.medicine,sci.med.nursing, misc.headlines
Kevysmom[_2_]

Why is it I can see your post to me, But I cant see my own post?

And as far as Burton goes, I think you be wrong!

Old December 15th 07, 03:08 AM posted to misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative, talk.politics.medicine,sci.med.nursing, misc.headlines
bigvince

[...]

Great post heres a little backround...........http://
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...adly_immunity/

Deadly Immunity
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. investigates the government cover-up of a
mercury/autism scandal
ROBERT F. KENNEDY JR.Posted Jun 20, 2005 12:00 AM

In June 2000, a group of top government scientists and health
officials gathered for a meeting at the isolated Simpsonwood
conference center in Norcross, Georgia. Convened by the Centers for
Disease ..........

........There were high-level officials from the CDC and the Food and
Drug Administration, the top vaccine specialist from the World Health
Organization in Geneva and representatives of every major vaccine
manufacturer, including GlaxoSmithKline, Merck, Wyeth and Aventis
Pasteur....

The federal officials and industry representatives had assembled to
discuss a disturbing new study that raised alarming questions about
the safety of a host of common childhood vaccines administered to
infants and young children. According to a CDC epidemiologist named
Tom Verstraeten, who had analyzed the agency's massive database
containing the medical records of 100,000 children, a mercury-based
preservative in the vaccines -- thimerosal -- appeared to be
responsible for a dramatic increase in autism and a host of other
neurological disorders among children. "I was actually stunned by what
I saw," Verstraeten told those assembled at Simpsonwood,

......Even for scientists and doctors accustomed to confronting issues
of life and death, the findings were frightening. "You can play with
this all you want," Dr. Bill Weil, a consultant for the American
Academy of Pediatrics, told the group. The results "are statistically
significant." Dr. Richard Johnston, an immunologist and pediatrician
from the University of Colorado whose grandson had been born early on
the morning of the meeting's first day, was even more alarmed. "My gut
feeling?" he said. "Forgive this personal comment -- I do not want my
grandson to get a thimerosal-containing vaccine until we know better
what is going on

......In fact, the government has proved to be far more adept at
handling the damage than at protecting children's health. The CDC paid
the Institute of Medicine to conduct a new study to whitewash the
risks of thimerosal, ordering researchers to "rule out" the chemical's
link to autism........"

Now it appears a little miscalculation was all it took.
Thanks Vince
Old December 15th 07, 03:15 AM posted to misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative, talk.politics.medicine,sci.med.nursing, misc.headlines
The One True Zhen Jue

On Dec 14, 8:41 pm, Kevysmom wrote:
Why is it I can see your post to me, But I cant see my own post?

Consider it a blessing. Reading your posts only reduces your IQ.

Kevysmom wrote:
For Links To Rep. Burton's Letter to Vacine Court and To Read the
DeSoto Study Click Here :http://a-champ.org/vaccinecourt_burton_desoto.html...

Donna, when you were in school, did you ever learn about the separation
of powers, where the legislative branch does not meddle in the executive
or judicial branch? This is basic poli sci 101, or civics.

I am aware of serious ethical questions being raised as to the propriety
of Buton's actions.- Hide quoted text -

Old December 15th 07, 03:50 AM posted to misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative, talk.politics.medicine,sci.med.nursing, misc.headlines
Kevysmom[_2_]

How did you ever get through med school with such an attitude!? Or
did you?

Old December 15th 07, 04:05 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,sci.med.nursing,misc.headlines
David Wright

In article ,
Kevysmom wrote:
But now we have scientific evidence
by two leading doctors in the Journal of Child Neurology that says
without doubt, the mercury in the vaccines does cause autism, is a
major contributing factor.

Gotta LOVE Dan Burton, even if he is a Republican!

Dan "Scumbag" Burton? No, we don't have to love him, not at all.

This is a GREAT article, Thanks so much for sharing it!!!

It was a crap article, simply rehashing the highly dubious methodology
of DeSoto and Hitlan. For an explanation of why the article isn't
anything special, see

http://www.autismstreet.org/weblog/?p=158

Old December 15th 07, 04:08 AM posted to misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative, talk.politics.medicine,sci.med.nursing, misc.headlines
The One True Zhen Jue

On Dec 14, 10:50 pm, Kevysmom wrote:
How did you ever get through med school with such an attitude!? Or
did you?

How? With my charisma, wit, charm, and a 3.8 gpa in Acupuncture
school, beotch!

Old December 15th 07, 04:12 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,sci.med.nursing,misc.headlines
Mark Probert

Kevysmom wrote:
Why is it I can see your post to me, But I cant see my own post?

And as far as Burton goes, I think you be wrong!

Do you understand the separation of powers of our Constitution?

Would you want a congresscritter butting in where you are the plaintiff
and giving the judge information that would help deny your case?

It is wrong no matter which side he takes. It violates the spirit if the
Constitution.