update on Max

Old November 5th 04, 11:46 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Default update on Max

Well, the poor little guy has a bladder infection! He's on his first
antibiotic. :-( Poor kid. So now, along with an ultra sound for his
hip, he's going to get an ultra sound to see if anything is up with his
bladder and attachments, since it's rather odd for an infant this young
to have a bladder infection. I'm wondering if anyone has any info. I'm
going to look around online on my own as well, of course.

Usually, we get ultra sound bookings pretty much immediately, but for
some bizarre reason, they've been stalling on the one for Max's hip
(which, BTW, isn't clicking anymore, but we still want to get it checked
out). Well, I guess we'll get a chance to kill two birds with one
stone, and have them look at both things at once. ;-) If they don't
give me a time and date by early next week, though, I'm going to start
raising a bit of hell. My doctor's office has a new receptionist and I
think she's still a little too green (it's normally the receptionist who
takes care of bookings like this).

Back to the bladder thing... I need to blow off some steam. If one
more person tells me to give him tons of water to flush it out, I'm
going to scream. Hello, he already gets TONS of fluid and he doesn't
need any more! The kid eats like a little piggy. I'm sure my doctor
would have suggested water if it were actually a good idea!
BWAREASDSARFDSAREW$#@!!! OK, I think I feel a bit better now. ;-)
Old November 5th 04, 11:59 PM
Nan

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 18:46:49 -0500, Vicky Bilaniuk
scribbled:

Back to the bladder thing... I need to blow off some steam. If one
more person tells me to give him tons of water to flush it out, I'm
going to scream. Hello, he already gets TONS of fluid and he doesn't
need any more! The kid eats like a little piggy. I'm sure my doctor
would have suggested water if it were actually a good idea!
BWAREASDSARFDSAREW$#@!!! OK, I think I feel a bit better now. ;-)

I'm glad you got it out of your system ;-)
Poor kiddo :-(

Nan

Old November 6th 04, 01:08 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

Well, the poor little guy has a bladder infection! He's on his first
antibiotic. :-( Poor kid. So now, along with an ultra sound for his
hip, he's going to get an ultra sound to see if anything is up with his
bladder and attachments, since it's rather odd for an infant this young
to have a bladder infection. I'm wondering if anyone has any info. I'm
going to look around online on my own as well, of course.

BTDT. It is somewhat unusual for babies to have a UTI, so
statistically it usually is worth checking out because a UTI
signals an increased risk of reflux. The renal u/s can check to
make sure things look anatomically correct, but the only way to
really figure out if reflux is going on is something like a
VCUG (voiding cystourethrogram) where they catheterize him,
fill his bladder with a dye, take pictures, wait for him to
pee, and then take more pictures to see if urine was refluxing
up into the kidney. If he has reflux, they typically use
prophylactic antibiotics to protect the kidneys until he is
older to see if he will grow out of it. If he doesn't, they
do surgery.
That said, particularly if he isn't circumcized, there
is no way to get a clean urine specimen without a needle or
a catheter. He could have an infection under his foreskin
which would show up as bacteria in his urine otherwise.
That would have nothing to do with the possibility of reflux.
Since a VCUG is a bit invasive, you may want to consider
whether this is really a UTI or whether it might be an
infection under the foreskin before going through with
the VCUG.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 6th 04, 03:14 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. I'll discuss it more with my doc next week.
Old November 6th 04, 07:28 AM
zolw

Keep us updated on how things are going with the x-rays & doctor. I hope
he feels better soon

Mona

Old November 6th 04, 02:50 PM
Anne Rogers

Well, the poor little guy has a bladder infection! He's on his first
antibiotic. :-( Poor kid. So now, along with an ultra sound for his
hip, he's going to get an ultra sound to see if anything is up with his
bladder and attachments, since it's rather odd for an infant this young to
have a bladder infection. I'm wondering if anyone has any info. I'm
going to look around online on my own as well, of course.

one thing is urethral valves, where the bladder doesn't empty properly, but
it usually causes failure to thrive as well as urine infections or other
symptoms, so Max is very unlikely to have that. I've been through the
bladder/kidney checks with Nathanael, he had blood in his urine several
time, so it was sensible to check, it turns out his has a very mild blood
clotting disorder.

Old November 6th 04, 06:50 PM
H Schinske

Well, the poor little guy has a bladder infection! He's on his first
antibiotic. :-( Poor kid. So now, along with an ultra sound for his
hip, he's going to get an ultra sound to see if anything is up with his
bladder and attachments, since it's rather odd for an infant this young to
have a bladder infection. I'm wondering if anyone has any info.

Peter had blood in his urine on the third day of life, and they did find some
bacteria (not a full-blown infection). I forget if he had one more later, I
think he did. No lasting problems at all, and the ultrasound of his kidneys and
all was normal.

--Helen
Old November 7th 04, 03:00 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

H Schinske wrote:

Well, the poor little guy has a bladder infection! He's on his first
antibiotic. :-( Poor kid. So now, along with an ultra sound for his
hip, he's going to get an ultra sound to see if anything is up with his
bladder and attachments, since it's rather odd for an infant this young to
have a bladder infection. I'm wondering if anyone has any info.

Peter had blood in his urine on the third day of life, and they did find some
bacteria (not a full-blown infection). I forget if he had one more later, I
think he did. No lasting problems at all, and the ultrasound of his kidneys and
all was normal.

Cool. As for Max, I'm confident that everything will turn out to be
just fine.

Great 1st appointment, 18 wk. update and AFP update Beach mum Pregnancy 0 October 5th 04 10:15 PM
Update Jamie Clark Pregnancy 4 October 1st 04 06:37 AM
Update: Problems with 14yr old sister... Daniel Single Parents 13 March 28th 04 02:18 AM
Update: Problems with 14yr old sister... Daniel Foster Parents 5 March 25th 04 01:44 PM
Use critical update Alex Nemeth Single Parents 0 October 2nd 03 03:42 AM