andrea's names list

Old October 27th 04, 02:16 PM
Sophie

"Mamma Mia" wrote in message
u...
i was just reading all the posts - isnt it funny that some people hate one
name and others love it. we are all poles apart arent we?

good i guess, or we would all have kids called, i dont know, Jack and
Sarah....

christine

Lol - I have a friend with a boy and a girl - named Jack and Sarah

Old October 27th 04, 02:49 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Kara H wrote:
"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote:

Actually, I find that people are much more harsh and picky about names
that haven't been given yet than they are otherwise.

Lol, Vicky. I think that's what Andrea was saying. You get the TRUE opinions
on names when you just throw them out there in the beginning. Once you have
a child with that name, people are not as critical.

But I don't think those are their true opinions... Oh well. ;-)
Old October 27th 04, 06:14 PM
Catherine C.

Unadulterated Me wrote in message ...

I may even post a second batch of

choices in weeks to come lol

Please do!
Old October 27th 04, 06:58 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Sophie wrote:

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
.. .

Kara H wrote:

Lol, Vicky. I think that's what Andrea was saying. You get the TRUE
opinions
on names when you just throw them out there in the beginning. Once you
have
a child with that name, people are not as critical.

But I don't think those are their true opinions... Oh well. ;-)

I think once the baby is born people bite their tongues. Doesn't mean they
like the names. They're just critical in their heads.

I don't think that's always true. I do think that
there are names that people don't like in a vacuum, but
when you attach them to a child they know, they have a
real, genuine change of heart about the name. I think if
they really hate the name, they'll probably continue to
hate the name, but people sometimes dislike names because
of bad associations or other smaller quirks. I think those
feelings often go away once there's a real child with the
name that you get to know.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 27th 04, 07:09 PM
Sophie

I think once the baby is born people bite their tongues. Doesn't mean
they
like the names. They're just critical in their heads.

I don't think that's always true. I do think that
there are names that people don't like in a vacuum, but
when you attach them to a child they know, they have a
real, genuine change of heart about the name. I think if
they really hate the name, they'll probably continue to
hate the name, but people sometimes dislike names because
of bad associations or other smaller quirks. I think those
feelings often go away once there's a real child with the
name that you get to know.

Best wishes,
Ericka

My mom still hates Patrick's name.

Old October 27th 04, 07:44 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Sophie wrote:

Ericka wrote:
I don't think that's always true. I do think that
there are names that people don't like in a vacuum, but
when you attach them to a child they know, they have a
real, genuine change of heart about the name.

My mom still hates Patrick's name.

Bummer! Especially that she's apparently willing
to still say so ;-) My mom wasn't particularly keen on
Genevieve (and struggled against it for years when it was
theoretical). Now, although she wouldn't say anything if
she disliked it, I notice that she's always finding an
opportunity to tell people Genevieve's name and she just
beams when people compliment her on what a nice name it
is ;-) I'd lay odds she's changed her mind about the
name. Now, Mom isn't one to keep grudges, so she wouldn't
actively *try* to continue to dislike the name once she
had a grandchild with it, but she's certainly capable of
carrying on without developing an active *like* for the
name as she seems to have done.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 27th 04, 08:49 PM
Vogel Sher

This whole thread reminds me of my mother in law's reaction to DD's name...
(Eva Katherine)
She was so mortified that she tried to get the rest of the family to call her
"Baby Kate" - everyone just kind of looked at her funny... she finally gave up
after 4 or 5 months... That said, she is one of the best grandmas ever! LOL

sherry
Old October 27th 04, 09:50 PM
Iuil

"Mamma Mia" wrote
i was just reading all the posts - isnt it funny that some people hate one
name and others love it. we are all poles apart arent we?

good i guess, or we would all have kids called, i dont know, Jack and
Sarah....

You know, those have been the two most popular names in my country for a
number of years .....

Jean - who plans to use something a little more original again
#1 - June '02
#2 - May '05

Old October 27th 04, 09:53 PM
Beach mum

Kara H wrote:

[...]

I live in Southern California, the capital of strange names (and/or strange
spellings) and I know some lovely children with names that I still hate. For
example Kai (it has something to do with surf in Hawaiin), two named Chase,
Case, Samara (who will forever be correcting people that it's not Tamara)
and a whole slew of others at the park where we play every morning. I also
know dozens of Jacksons (a nice name, IMO, but there are so many) and many
Aidens (with various spellings). There was a Caliope in a class I took (can
you say oom pa pa).

I think there is some benefit to posting here, particularly if you're
choosing an unusual name. There's always the chance that someone will come
up with an association that had eluded you that might make you think
differently about a name.

(BTW, I tend to like seriously boring, old fashioned names. Hence Elizabeth
Rose.)
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03