Jessica Grace is here...and you won't belive *where* she came!

Old November 1st 04, 08:15 PM
Sue

Wow Jenn, what a story. Congratulations to you and your family. Welcome
Jessica Grace. What a beautiful name. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"newfy.1" wrote in message
...in the front seat of my freind's Jeep Cherokee in front of the

hospital!
Yes, that's right.

She was 8lbs. 3oz and born sometime around 7:00 on Friday 10/29.

Let's just say that I'm living proof that a first babies experience has
*nothing* to do with second babies. Matthew was a very difficult, long

labor
and I never expected what happened this time to happen.

I woke up at 4:30am feeling crampy, nothing more than menstrual cramps so

went back to sleep off and on, apparently between contractions, for

another
hour and fifteen minutes until I started asking dh to push on my lower

back
to relieve the pain. After a couple contractions like that dh said that
maybe we should call the midwife because those were only 5 minutes apart.

agreed, just to be safe, I thought. Between the time I called the

answering
service and she called back, the contractions were coming 4 minutes apart,

was having bright red bleeding and was shaking uncontrollably. After
explaining this to my midwife she encouraged me to come in asap (she later
said the shaking was the giveaway). I resisted a little bit saying that my
labor with ds was so long, that this couldn't be it. She insisted and we

got
ready to go asap. Between the five or so minutes that it took for us to
gather ds and the dog to go to my friends house the contractions

intensified
doubly and I became extremely vocal with each one.

We dropped off Matthew at about 6:15 and swapped cars since mine can hold
four carseats and left for the birth center which is housed in the

hospital
25 minutes away. Halfway there my water broke and my contractions were two
minutes apart. I knew this was serious when I started hearing myself
grunting and I had to urge to take my shoes off, lol. Next thing I know,

the
shoes come off, the sweatshirt comes off and I'm pulling my tank top up as
high as it can go and my yoga pants off my belly, and I'm feeling definite
pushing contractions. Coming off the exit ramp I reach down and feel my

skin
stretching and realize that she is crowning. I kept this little nugget to
myself because if my dh had known that this was going to happen asap, I
think he would have flipped. He knew it was going to happen soon, like in

few hours he said, but he had NO idea that she was actually coming out.

We pull up to the hospital entrance, dh gets out to open my door and I

rip
off my yoga pants, reach down and her head is out. My door was locked and

couldn't get it unlocked. When dh reached over to find it from the inside

then told him her head was out and he paled! I just told him to go inside
and get someone. By the next contraction her body slipped right out. I
pulled her up to my chest and she looked me right into the eyes as if to
say, "Is there any other way for this to happen?" She made a few grunts

and
kept on looking at me.

It was quite chilly and dh wasn't back yet so I was getting a little
concerned about her body temp, but in actuality we think finding someone
with blankets, to call the code, etc. only took a couple of minutes. A

very
well dressed doctor came out with the blankets, called the code and

offered
to take the baby from me. I said, "Uh, thanks, but she's still attached to
me through the placenta". He was all flustered and said, "Oh, sorry, I'm

an
oncologist, I don't do this kind of thing often." LOL. The poor guy.

My midwife came down with scissors for the cord, dh cut the cord and the
midwife took the baby up to L&D. No birthing center for me anymore since I
bypassed that stage, she was born outdoors and there was significant older
meconium. They brought me upstairs on a gurney and after they suctioned

her
well I got to hold her and nurse her for the first time. After nursing her
she did need to spend about two hours under the warmer since she was

pretty
cold.

Dh and I were pretty much in shock for several hours and just kept saying,
"she was born in Fernanda's (our friend) car!" Dh called a mobile

upholstery
cleaning unit to come clean the car and she got it back nearly cleaner

than
it left. We do plan on buying her those cow print seat covers she's wanted
for a while now. I came home after 24 hours and we're doing pretty

well.
She's a pretty sleepy baby so we're having some nipple soreness and latch
issues, but I'm working on that.

So, I guess this all goes to show that from one baby to the next you

cannot
predict what will happen!

JennP.

Old November 1st 04, 08:56 PM
Ericka Kammerer

newfy.1 wrote:

...in the front seat of my freind's Jeep Cherokee in front of the hospital!
Yes, that's right.

She was 8lbs. 3oz and born sometime around 7:00 on Friday 10/29.

Don'tcha just love those second babies? ;-) My number two
came about that fast (a bit under 2.5 hours from first contraction
to delivery) after a 45 hour first labor--and it was a major league
surprise to me too. Fortunately, since we had planned a homebirth
I didn't have to deal with dropping off #1, riding in the car, or
giving birth in the car ;-) It took #3 to have a "perfect"length
labor (about 5 hours).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 1st 04, 09:01 PM
Mamma Mia

OH WOW! what a great story. congrats, how exciting!

welcome baby jessica grace.

well done super mum!

christine

Old November 1st 04, 10:20 PM
Carol Ann

[...]

Awesome birth story!! Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you are all doing well.
This is one for the history books. Amazing!!!

Congratulations!!!

~Carol Ann

Old November 1st 04, 10:46 PM
Unadulterated Me

newfy.1 wrote:

....in the front seat of my freind's Jeep Cherokee in front of the hospital!
Yes, that's right.

She was 8lbs. 3oz and born sometime around 7:00 on Friday 10/29.

Yay welcome earthside baby Jessica! Congrats Jenn I take it a nice, safe
planned homebirth will be the plan for next time ;-)

Andrea
Old November 1st 04, 10:54 PM
emilymr

WOW!! What a story... You realize that you'll have to buy her a Jeep
Cherokee when she turns 16, don't you?? haha (Or at least rent one for
when she gets married...)

Congratulations, and what an amazing mom you are!!

Em
baby boy, due Nov. 18

Old November 2nd 04, 01:36 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

OK, I LOVED this story!!! I'm so glad that it all turned out perfectly
fine. Yay for you, and congrats!

Leaving the original post quoted below, just in case some other poor
person can't see it... ;-)

newfy.1 wrote:

....in the front seat of my freind's Jeep Cherokee in front of the hospital!
Yes, that's right.

She was 8lbs. 3oz and born sometime around 7:00 on Friday 10/29.

Let's just say that I'm living proof that a first babies experience has
*nothing* to do with second babies. Matthew was a very difficult, long labor
and I never expected what happened this time to happen.

I woke up at 4:30am feeling crampy, nothing more than menstrual cramps so I
went back to sleep off and on, apparently between contractions, for another
hour and fifteen minutes until I started asking dh to push on my lower back
to relieve the pain. After a couple contractions like that dh said that
maybe we should call the midwife because those were only 5 minutes apart. I
agreed, just to be safe, I thought. Between the time I called the answering
service and she called back, the contractions were coming 4 minutes apart, I
[...]

think he would have flipped. He knew it was going to happen soon, like in a
few hours he said, but he had NO idea that she was actually coming out.

We pull up to the hospital entrance, dh gets out to open my door and I rip
off my yoga pants, reach down and her head is out. My door was locked and I
couldn't get it unlocked. When dh reached over to find it from the inside I

Old November 2nd 04, 02:14 AM
Rebecca Jo

"newfy.1" wrote:

...in the front seat of my freind's Jeep Cherokee in front of the
hospital!
Yes, that's right.

She was 8lbs. 3oz and born sometime around 7:00 on Friday 10/29.

That's wonderful. Congratulations!!

JennP.

rj

Old November 2nd 04, 02:17 AM
A&G&K&H

"newfy.1" wrote in message
...in the front seat of my freind's Jeep Cherokee in front of the

hospital!
Yes, that's right.

She was 8lbs. 3oz and born sometime around 7:00 on Friday 10/29.

Oh Jenn I loved reading that birth story.
Congratulations and welcome to little Jessica
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old November 2nd 04, 02:29 AM
karlisa

What an amazing birth story! Congratulations Jenn and welcome Jessica!

--
lisa
micksmom