37 week

Old November 3rd 04, 11:22 AM
Zaz

Default 37 week

Good news!

The contractions I *thought* I'd been having over the past week are indeed
contractions, not just Braxton-Hicks. They have been acting up on my cervix,
which has thinned and softened - no dilatation as of yesterday, though.

The appointment was with my backup midwife and her student, so I agreed for
a double examination... I'm glad I did: the student was very delicate about
it, preparing me for the busy-body midwife! Oh! I didn't like that: my
cervix is still posterior, so there was a bit of a contorsion to do to check
it out... The midwife apologised: she thought that after a first examination
I'd prefer swiftness to .. tenderness. I told her tenderness is always best
in my book ;-)

My blood pressure has gone up slightly, which had both of them say "About to
give birth pressure, that is". My bowels' evacuation tells them
prostaglandin is being produced, another good sign. My contractions hurting,
more and more in my lower belly and getting longer and longer tells them
it's a matter of days, not of weeks. Baby has descended to a full centimeter
now - even though she's not "fixed" yet - and my uterus is now 40 cm. The
midwifes were all excited. I never thought my inner organs could cause such
enthousiasm!

It was comical: the midwife was trying to reassure me at first, given that I
will probably not reach my due date. "Don't worry, your baby will be fine,
you're 37 weeks and 3 days now, so it's all right for you to give birth.
She's already big enough, and she will be just fine." I said: "Oh, I know,
I want to give birth tomorrow (Nov. 3)". They laughed: "Well, we can't
guarantee anything, but we're confident you can count it in days now, not in
weeks."

That's good news.

Isabelle
EDD Anytime now

Old November 4th 04, 12:38 AM
Cathy

I'm looking forward to reading your birth story anytime now! I hope things
go well for the next few days/weeks.

Cathy
EDD 8 Dec 04

Old November 4th 04, 02:31 AM
Wendy

As a fellow 37 weeker, that is VERY exciting! Good luck, I hope your
baby comes very soon!
: )

Wendy

Old November 4th 04, 05:26 AM
Zaz

So do I...

My "dream date" is over and done with now (it was Nov. 3), but at the worst,
there are only two weeks or so to my EDD (Nov. 20). I don't think I'll make
it to that one, and I'm glad of it!

Old November 4th 04, 07:34 PM
Leslie

Oh, that IS good news, Isabelle. At the rate you are going, you are going to
beat me! :-p

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old November 5th 04, 08:41 PM
Zaz

In your dreams!

The problem now is that I must tell myself that "a matter of days" may mean
6, 7 or even 10 days, for that matter!

With all the contractions happening, I sleep very little, but they don't
seem to be getting any longer... More painful, more frequent, I'm certain
they are doing their job, but I just wonder: how long can one go with such
contractions before giving birth?

It was Jamie who told me not to set my hopes up too much for an early due
date. I'm fine on that part (heck, I only have 2 weeks to go before EDD of
Nov. 20), it's just that now that everything seems to have kicked in, I walk
around always wondering: is this it? And then, a real by-the-book first
mom, I get disappointed that... it's not *it*! My body is getting tired,
and my mind impatient!

Old November 6th 04, 02:14 PM
Leslie

Isabelle said:

In your dreams!

Or my nightmares!

The problem now is that I must tell myself that "a matter of days" may mean
6, 7 or even 10 days, for that matter!

With all the contractions happening, I sleep very little, but they don't
seem to be getting any longer... More painful, more frequent, I'm certain
they are doing their job, but I just wonder: how long can one go with such
contractions before giving birth?

Unfortunately, some people go a long time. :-(

It was Jamie who told me not to set my hopes up too much for an early due
date. I'm fine on that part (heck, I only have 2 weeks to go before EDD of
Nov. 20), it's just that now that everything seems to have kicked in, I walk
around always wondering: is this it? And then, a real by-the-book first
mom, I get disappointed that... it's not *it*! My body is getting tired,
and my mind impatient!

That's how I am--every night I go to bed expecting to be awakened in the middle
of the night by labor, and I'm so disappointed to wake up and see it is morning
again and here I still am.

Old November 6th 04, 02:31 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Leslie wrote:
That's how I am--every night I go to bed expecting to be awakened in the middle
of the night by labor, and I'm so disappointed to wake up and see it is morning
again and here I still am.

Heh, I so COMPLETELY understand, except that I never even had twinges to
give me hope. It all started only after my water broke.
Old November 6th 04, 03:06 PM
Zaz

Well, I just decided I'm stopping all thought about it (well, as much as
that is possible).

I've been visualising a lot, getting those contractions, and nothing is
happening. So last night when I went to bed, after a few hours without
anything going on, I told myself I would not fret over it, I'd just try to
get a good night sleep, and I warned Baby we were not going into labour just
yet: I need the rest!

.... it worked! (no, don't get excited, the labour part didn't kick in, but
boy did I have a good night sleep!)

"Leslie" wrote in message
Isabelle said:

In your dreams!

Or my nightmares!

Old November 6th 04, 04:53 PM
Leslie

Vicky said:

Heh, I so COMPLETELY understand, except that I never even had twinges to
give me hope. It all started only after my water broke.

I know, I keep thinking of you and how miserable you were. I have never been
late before so this is a new and very unpleasant experience for me!