Heavier periods after giving birth? (gross)

Old November 4th 04, 08:55 PM
Carlye

Default Heavier periods after giving birth? (gross)

Hey, I have a question: Is it your experience that after giving
birth, your periods are heavier than they were before?

I ask because I am having my first period following the birth of my
daughter. It was "forced" by birth control pills (which I stopped
taking after only 6 days since they seemed to interfere with my milk
supply), but it is heavier than any I had before getting pregnant. In
fact, it's even heavier (and - ew - has bigger clots) than it was
IMMEDIATELY after giving birth.

Is this normal? My mother suggested it is worse because I didn't
finish out a full 21-day pill cycle, but I'd done that plenty of times
in my pre-pregnancy days and didn't ever notice a difference before.

I appreciate the feedback!

-Carlye
DD Afton 9-29-04
Old November 4th 04, 08:57 PM
Heather Kitchen

After my son was born, the first several periods were extremely heavy. I
soaked through pads, left stains on upholstery. It was horrible, but after
talking to my Mom & MIL, I found out that they should taper off & go back
pretty close to normal.

Heather

om...

Old November 4th 04, 11:13 PM
firedancer623

"Carlye" wrote in message
om...
Hey, I have a question: Is it your experience that after giving
birth, your periods are heavier than they were before?

I ask because I am having my first period following the birth of my
daughter. It was "forced" by birth control pills (which I stopped
taking after only 6 days since they seemed to interfere with my milk
supply), but it is heavier than any I had before getting pregnant. In
fact, it's even heavier (and - ew - has bigger clots) than it was
IMMEDIATELY after giving birth.

Is this normal? My mother suggested it is worse because I didn't
finish out a full 21-day pill cycle, but I'd done that plenty of times
in my pre-pregnancy days and didn't ever notice a difference before.

I appreciate the feedback!

-Carlye
DD Afton 9-29-04

I've only had 3 periods since my son was born but the first was the worst.
The next was still worse than normal for me. This last one was about normal.
So, I'd say maybe it is just your body adjusting.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (5) and Xander (13 mos)

Old November 4th 04, 11:31 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Carlye wrote:

*Hey, I have a question: Is it your experience that after giving
*birth, your periods are heavier than they were before?
*

Yes. My OB says this is totally not uncommon at all, in fact he says he
thinks it is the experience of the majority of women he sees. FWIW.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old November 6th 04, 07:00 PM
H Schinske

In ,
Carlye wrote:

*Hey, I have a question: Is it your experience that after giving
*birth, your periods are heavier than they were before?
*

Yes. My OB says this is totally not uncommon at all, in fact he says he
thinks it is the experience of the majority of women he sees. FWIW

I've heard about one-third have worse periods (heavier and/or more painful),
one-third have easier (lighter and/or less painful) and one-third see no
difference. That smells of seat-of-the-pants statistics to me, but I do know
people (including me) who've had lighter and easier periods after childbirth,
so they do exist.

--Helen