Possible to test for x or y sperm?

Old August 20th 06, 08:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Possible to test for x or y sperm?

Hi - is it possible to test sperm, from a sample given, for percentage
of x or y chromosomes? Semen analysis check for sperm count and quality
etc, but can a check for the number of X as opposed to Y chromosomes be
done? We have 3 girls and want to know if we have any likelihood of
having a boy next if we conceive again.

Old August 20th 06, 09:52 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
New York Jen

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi - is it possible to test sperm, from a sample given, for percentage
of x or y chromosomes? Semen analysis check for sperm count and quality
etc, but can a check for the number of X as opposed to Y chromosomes be
done? We have 3 girls and want to know if we have any likelihood of
having a boy next if we conceive again.

It's possible to do "sperm spinning" which is a procedure some offices will
do. It's not covered by insurance and it is not a guarantee. I have a
friend who did it after 2 boys and she got a girl...of course there's no way
of knowing what she would have had without the sperm spinning.

I'm guessing the Xs are heavier, so it's easier to separate them out. I
think it's less effective if you want a boy, but it's certainly worth asking
your doctor about. You may have to go to a fertility doctor to perform the
procedure, and you'll have to have an insemination.

Good luck,

Jen

Old August 21st 06, 04:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
don_tspamme

Hi my understanding is that Dr. Shettles theory has been recently
largely
disproved...http://www.in-gender.com/cs/blogs/Ge...1/13/5342.aspx

For more about sex selection, which methods work, don't work etc., and
a very interesting website on the subject, check out in-gender.com. The
woman who created the site has been doing sort of a grass roots
research into sex selection and she has a great deal of information,
along with forums where people post what method they tried and what the
results were, etc....

Pologirl wrote:
wrote:
We have 3 girls and want to know if we have any likelihood of
having a boy next if we conceive again.

Do you have reason to believe there is something wrong with your DH's Y
chromosome? That's unlikely.

Do you know about timing fertilization? It's very low tech and you can
do it at home.

Old August 21st 06, 01:03 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I dont want any sperm spinning treatment or want to influence what
might be the outcome of conception artificially. I just want to know
what the likelihood of conceiving one sex over the other is. Surely
there must be a simple test (percentage of x to y sperm) out there that
can be done? And surely this is the best way of determining what the
likely outcome is as this is the only deciding factor on whether the
baby will be a girl or boy?

not at all, even if you put a mix of 50/50 g/b sperm into a vagina as they
make the long journey to meet the egg lots don't make it, and for all sorts
of reasons the barriers could cut out more of one sex than another, cervical
mucous is pretty hostile stuff killing of massive numbers of sperm, it may
be that the combination of you and your wife kill off more boy sperm than
girl sperm. Then there are other stages in the process when the exact
combination of you and your wife could make one sex have a much higher
chance than the other, such as female sperm penetrating the egg easier, then
once and embryo is made, male ones my be less likely to implant, there are
just so many variables, that I suspect that determining the proportion in
the sperm is going to tell you almost nothing.

No one has really come up with a convincing explaination, but throughout
history there is clear evidence that some families are heavy in females and
others in males. My dads family for example has 1in4 to 1in5 rate of males
being born historically, and then much lower life expectancy for those
males.

Cheers

Anne