overwhelmed and exhausted

Old March 9th 04, 06:48 PM
Rob

Default overwhelmed and exhausted

Hi everyone....I am new to this
Our twins are 11 weeks old, and we are enjoying them very much. My
problem is that I am exhausted all the time, and I am starting to get
overwhelmed. They never sleep or eat at the same time during the day
which means I am constantly feeding one or the other. That is
frustrating enough. And when they do not sleep at the same time, that
means there is no down time for me to do what I want or need to do for
my own time. It does not help matters much that Kylie is sick right now
and will only settle if she is held. And throw a busy three year old
into the mix and it is no wonder I am exhausted.
Any suggestions on how to get the babies to sleep or eat at the same
time? Any ideas on coping strategies?

Thanks
Terri
Mom to Kylie and Aimee (12-22-03)
Visit us at:
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a..._kylie_colton/
Old March 9th 04, 07:18 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Rob wrote:

Any suggestions on how to get the babies to sleep or eat at the same
time? Any ideas on coping strategies?

For eating, I always tandem-nursed. Also, I always fed to the hungrier
twin. Therefore, when the hungry twin ate, so did the other one.

For sleeping, I started a bedtime routine (the times varied but not the
order) when they were around 3 months old. This helped a great deal.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=782084

~ Harriet Martineau

Old March 9th 04, 07:57 PM
Miracle Twins Mom

I am so sorry that you are feeling so overwhelmed. I can't imagine. I
have no advice really, just wanted to give you a hug! My babies came
home on their NICU schedule and are still on it, somewhat to this day.
They have always ate and slept at the same time. I was very, very lucky.
I hope it will get easier soon. Mine started sleeping through the night
at 10 weeks, maybe that is around the corner for you too!

Megan~
Mommy to A & A
17 months old! (how did this happen?)

www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis
***New Pictures 02/04***

Old March 10th 04, 12:20 AM
Peggy

I feel for you! My twins are now 22 months old and sometimes I wonder how
we made it through the year. If you don't get them on the same eating
schedule you will quickly lose your sanity! Take your cue from the hungrier
one and automatically feed the other one at the same time. Even if the less
hungry twin doesn't eat well at first, you'll find that after only a few
feedings that twin will fall in sync. If you synchronize the feedings then
the sleep patterns will soon follow. The best thing to do for yourself is
have as much adult company as you can. Invite your friends and family
members over as much as possible, one at a time, to chat with you as you
care for and feed the babies. Don't ask them to help too much (as people
often offer to do) because you need to learn to care for two babies as a
matter of routine and make it clear you will not be cooking for them! It's
just to keep you company. Also, try to incorporate some relaxation for you
into your babies awake time. I used to put on music that I enjoyed and
dance with each baby one at a time. It gave me a chance to daydream and
think a little, and my girls enjoyed it so much. I still put music on now
and my daughters love to dance on their own.

Most importantly, have someone like your husband (if you are not a single
parent), relative or friend watch your children for an appointed time each
week (say, two hours or so on a Monday night for example) when you can leave
the house to do something for yourself (even if it's just a walk). When you
KNOW that you have that appointed time for yourself, it makes it easier to
get through the week. Make a point of penciling it in on your calendar, and
don't let anyone take it away from you.

Secondly, make sure you take the time to eat healthy and drink alot,
especially if you are breastfeeding. I would recommended continuing your
pre/post-natal vitamins. A good many women have low iron after a twin
pregnancy which can contribute to your exhaustion. I didn't find out until
my girls were 8 months old that I was anemic.

I hope my advice was of some assistance. Hang in there, you'll make it
through!

Peggy
http://www.babygardengifts.com

.. .