When to introduce guns to children?

Old December 4th 03, 06:42 PM
Joel Rosenberg

Default When to introduce guns to children?

Ignoramus11065 writes:

How would you determine when it is appropriate to introduce children
to guns?

Seems to me that as soon as you think that they might be able to
understand the Eddie Eagle program is about right.

As to taking them to shoot, sure -- as long as you're careful to make
sure that nothing bad happens if they forget about the safety rules.
(Using a long-barrelled gun rather than a pistol, for example, and
being always ready to grab it if the muzzle even starts to swing out
of line.)

The key to it all is redundant safety: making sure that they
understand both the Eddie Eagle rules, and the gun-handling rules, and
then being sure that even if they forget or ignore them, you're in a
position to make sure that nothing bad happens.

Joel Rosenberg 612.824.3150
AACFI-certified MN Carry Permit Instructor and Certifier
BCA-validated Minnesota Carry Permit Instructor
NRA-certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Home
Firearms Safety Instructor, Personal Protection Instructor
http://www.ellegon.com/homepage.phtml
(Reverse disclaimer: actually, everything I do or say is utterly
supported by Ellegon, Inc., my employer. Even when I'm wrong.)