regular or organic milk?

Old May 31st 05, 08:23 PM

Default regular or organic milk?

I googled on this topic but the results are all from several years ago.
I was wondering if you use regular milk or organic milk for your kids
and why.

Thanks.

Old May 31st 05, 08:53 PM
Steve

dragon wrote:
wrote:
I googled on this topic but the results are all from several years ago.
I was wondering if you use regular milk or organic milk for your kids
and why.

Thanks.

Neither. I don't personally believe humans should ingest cow's milk.
And, because both DH and I both have sensitivites to it, we've avoided
giving it to our son. However, if I were to offer cow's milk to my
kid, it would most *definately* be organic. I don't want all the
chemicals and hormones they use in corporate dairy farms going into my
child.

dragon

Hot topic.

I've heard all sorts of claims. Who knows what's true. Among the
(sometimes tin foil conspiracy) theories:

Hormones in milk have actually affected the menstrual onset age of
girls. It's decreased in the past decades from 15 to 10.

Hormones in milk have created taller kids. Perhaps this is a good
thing.

Any milk consumption at all depletes calcium.

Then there are the mostly believable but unfacable claims that
factory agriculture is cruel to animals. Organic agriculture
is supposedly better.

I kind of figure our food choices will be regarded the same way we
regard daily breakfast of eggs, bacon, and sausage. That is, our kids
will probably be thinking "They put THAT on the food pyramid??"

Most of the organizations have an agenda and are agressive in
promoting it. So wild studies are often quoted as fact.

To make a long story short, I use normal 2% dairy shelf milk.
I'd probably change if I knew for a fact that organic dairy
is more cow-friendly. For the rest of the personal health issues,
I think I'd be more likely developing an ulcer worrying about it
than jeopardizing my health by consumption of the milk.

Old May 31st 05, 09:02 PM
dragonlady

In article , Steve
wrote:

Hormones in milk have actually affected the menstrual onset age of
girls. It's decreased in the past decades from 15 to 10.

What I've read recently says that's actually a myth. The appearance of
secondary sexual characteristics HAS gotten a bit lower, but the actual
onset of menarche is about the same as it's been for over 50 years.

(No, I can't find the citation, but it was an interesting and credible
source.)

The only thing I have found some substantial support for is that cows
fed BGH have a higher incidence of udder infections, and so receive more
antibiotics. While the BGH does not get into the milk, the antibiotics
do, and I suspect thats not a Good Thing: we are breeding really strong
bacteria!

Old May 31st 05, 09:30 PM
JennP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I googled on this topic but the results are all from several years ago.
I was wondering if you use regular milk or organic milk for your kids
and why.

Regular, because it's cheaper.

JennP.