Hates laying on back

Old April 19th 06, 02:38 AM posted to misc.kids

Default Hates laying on back

My 6 month old daughter won't lay on her back at all - -instantly rolls
over - I can't even change her diaper, because she won't stay on her
back for me to do it. She also doesn't love when I feed her and lean
her back to do it. She doesn't spit up so I don't hink its reflux...but
am baffled as to what it could be. I have to diaper her either
backwards while she is on her tummy or do it while she is standing up.
Anybody with similar experiences?

Old April 19th 06, 02:47 AM posted to misc.kids

LeeLee wrote:
My 6 month old daughter won't lay on her back at all - -instantly rolls
over - I can't even change her diaper, because she won't stay on her
back for me to do it. She also doesn't love when I feed her and lean
her back to do it. She doesn't spit up so I don't hink its reflux...but
am baffled as to what it could be. I have to diaper her either
backwards while she is on her tummy or do it while she is standing up.
Anybody with similar experiences?

Sure. Most parents with kids who can roll over, I'd imagine.

The ceiling is boring. All the fun stuff is off to the sides. If
you're changing her, give her a small, washable toy (we have plastic
animals that work great for this - they're about the size of her
forearm, and they can go into the dishwasher - a rubber ducky from
Walmart is like 89 cents and would work great, too) that she can fiddle
with while you change her. If it falls into the diaper, it's easy to
clean. It'll keep her occupied for the 30 to 60 seconds it takes to
change her.

It might be tough for her to swallow or to control how much food is
getting into her mouth if you lean her back to feed her. Try feeding
her in a sitting up position, and see if she doesn't do better. It's
really no neater or messier either way - I find that it's the hands you
have to watch out for, more than anything, and they'll get you whether
she's lying back or sitting up. Baby Kung Fu.

As for sleeping, my daughter has favored sleeping on her side (just
like her dad) for her entire life. I stopped fighting with her over it
when I realized that if she was able to roll enough to get herself
there, she was able to roll back if she couldn't breathe. She hasn't
died of SIDS yet, so I quit worrying about it.

Amy

Old April 19th 06, 03:07 AM posted to misc.kids

In article .com,
"LeeLee" wrote:

My 6 month old daughter won't lay on her back at all - -instantly rolls
over - I can't even change her diaper, because she won't stay on her
back for me to do it. She also doesn't love when I feed her and lean
her back to do it. She doesn't spit up so I don't hink its reflux...but
am baffled as to what it could be. I have to diaper her either
backwards while she is on her tummy or do it while she is standing up.
Anybody with similar experiences?

Most of us, at one time or another.

I did the diaper changes on the floor, using my legs to pin the kids
down. But then, I used cloth diapers and pins, and could never do those
either standing or lying on their tummies.

One of my kids preferred to sit up while he ate, even as a tiny infant.
I never saw it as a problem -- I just sat him up.

Old April 19th 06, 12:26 PM posted to misc.kids

"LeeLee" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 6 month old daughter won't lay on her back at all - -instantly rolls
over - I can't even change her diaper, because she won't stay on her
back for me to do it. She also doesn't love when I feed her and lean
her back to do it. She doesn't spit up so I don't hink its reflux...but
am baffled as to what it could be. I have to diaper her either
backwards while she is on her tummy or do it while she is standing up.
Anybody with similar experiences?

So, let her sleep on her back. If she can roll by herself, then she will
prevent the problems that come from SIDS. Also, when you are feeding her,
put her in a high chair and let her feed herself with foods that she can
pick up. If you need to feed her mushy baby food, then sneak in a bite while
she is playing with the food to pick up and/or let her have a spoon too and
let her start to play/feed herself. For changing her diaper, give her
something interesting to play with that she doesn't get to play with often
(like the remote without batteries or an old phone) or give her a mirror so
she can look at herself while you are changing her

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old April 19th 06, 02:28 PM posted to misc.kids

"LeeLee" wrote in
oups.com:

My 6 month old daughter won't lay on her back at all -
-instantly rolls over - I can't even change her diaper,
because she won't stay on her back for me to do it. She
also doesn't love when I feed her and lean her back to do
it. She doesn't spit up so I don't hink its reflux...but
am baffled as to what it could be. I have to diaper her
either backwards while she is on her tummy or do it while
she is standing up. Anybody with similar experiences?

my son was walking at 6 months. we did standing diaper
changes from that point on. no way was he going to lay down
my changing table had a strap which would prevent rollovers,
but doing standing changes isn't hard once you get used to it
(& we used cloth diapers).
why do you lean her back to feed her? i'm probably being
clueless. is she bottle or breast fed? if bottle, can she hold
it herself? then she wouldn't have to lean back...
lee
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of
Old April 21st 06, 03:23 AM posted to misc.kids

give her a mirror so
she can look at herself while you are changing her

Hi Sue and all,
wow.. using a mirror? I've never tried that. actually, it has never
come to my mind.
My 1 y.o son also didn't want to lay on his back when he was about 5
months. He kept rolling over.
I tried to give him his favorite toy, which he liked to bite. It
worked, and it still does now.

And Sue, thanks for the great idea. I'll try that out!

Hugs,
Cinnamon Leaf
http://cinnamonleaf.lipblogs.com

Old April 21st 06, 07:26 PM posted to misc.kids

It has been my experience that kids that are used to be changed in
anything larger than a changing table pad get real crazy and squirmy
during diaper changes just because they can. lol. You could go out and
buy the pad and then put it up on your bathroom counter and designate
that as your diaper changing space to see if it works. My
5-1/2-month-old is not self-feeding yet, but he sits forward in his
highchair unless I tip the seat back. He is still okay with bottle
feeding on a pillow in my lap against the arm of the couch, but I've
never let any of my kids eat lying flat down. He moves his head around
a lot with a bottle to check things out, but I won't move with him. He
needs to learn to eat, he has to do it a certain way (I realized this
after watching one of my client's baby's suck, suck, spat and look,
suck, suck, spat and look. It took her forever. lol. I've never allowed
any of my kids to hold their own bottles either (at least without me
holding onto it too) - this made for them not learning to attach to one
and when we took them away for good, they were just no more. My baby
likes to play peak-a-boo so you could try placing a receiving blanket
over her noggin while saying "wheeeeere's baby?" My baby has learned to
recognize this phrase and anticipates the peaking. I think he is
actually starting to grasp the concept of pulling it up and down over
his own eyes lately too. Good luck -- I've never admired those with the
squirmy ones. lol.