math facts practice is boring

Old January 3rd 08, 05:12 AM posted to misc.kids
Chris

Default math facts practice is boring

On Jan 2, 3:30�pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills. They
make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while doing
flash cards.

Playkidsgames.com has some more "fun" type math fact computer games to
play. We played the Timez Attack over here and it helped a bit.
Old January 3rd 08, 06:55 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Stephanie" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills.
They make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while
doing flash cards.

Here are a couple my sons teacher showed us...

Tree Solitaire where the Jack = 11, Queen = 12, and King = 13. The objective
was to finds sums of 13 (rather then line up the cards like regular
solitaire).

Scoobee
Objective: To develop the meaning of the 1 more than, and the 1 less then
relationship. Place a deck of cards face down. Each player pulls a card
and places the card on the table face up. Players, taking turns, call the
number that is 1 more than the number turned face up. Player calling the
greatest number takes the cares. At the end the one with the most cards
wins.

Salute: Start with three players. 2 of the players are the addends, the
caller is the sum. The caller says: 1,2,3, Salute and the addends draw a
card and hold it, face out, at their forehead. The caller adds the numbers
in his head and says, "The sum equals..." The addends try to subtract their
partners number to find what addend they are. The person who calls the
other number first gets both cards. You'd have to modify if it was just you
and one kid.

I also play black jack with my kids. They love monopoly and that has
counting in it.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old January 3rd 08, 10:38 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Stephanie" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills.
They make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while
doing flash cards.

What age are you looking for? #2 (age 4) loves me to do join the line games.
I write sums (eg 5 +6, 4+12 etc) down one side and write the answers down
the other in a different order and she has to join the sum and it's answer
(you can have more than one sum to each answer to make it harder).
She's been doing these for about 18 months now. I started them when she was
trying to do sums (like her sister!) but struggling to write the answer as
she was finding writing some of the numbers hard. The only difficulty is
getting her to stop once she's started, and she can do a sheet nearly as
quickly as I can write one. We do them for word recognition, and choose the
missing word too. #1 never particularly liked them though.
Debbie

Old January 3rd 08, 05:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Jan 3, 4:38*am, "Welches"
wrote:
"Stephanie" wrote in message

. .. Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills.
They make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while
doing flash cards.

What age are you looking for? #2 (age 4) loves me to do join the line games.
I write sums (eg 5 +6, 4+12 etc) down one side and write the answers down
the other in a different order and she has to join the sum and it's answer
(you can have more than one sum to each answer to make it harder).

The Singapore Math 1B Workbook http://www.singaporemath.com/ has such
exercises. In general I think this series of math textbooks and
workbooks is well done. My 4yo son likes it.

Old January 4th 08, 03:45 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"deja.blues" wrote in message

"Beliavsky" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 4:59 pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
"Beliavsky" wrote in message

Math facts have been set to a rap music beat. "2 times 1 is 2, 2 times
2 is 4" (but it's much more fun to listen to the actual song). My 4yo
son has actually requested that we play such a CD, after he heard it
the first time. You can Google "multiplication table rap music".

Rap is not music and children should not be exposed to it in any capacity.

The formal definition of music that I learned in university classes is "An
organized compression and rarefaction of the liquid medium of the air". An
unpitched composition for percussion, body percussion, or even found
instruments (such as STOMP) is still music. And, by that definition, so is
rap.

Furthermore, the first skill any child develops musically is the development
of beat. Rap, when divorced of the content of the lyrics, does do a
wonderful job of demonstrating beat, rhythm as a subdivision of the beat,
and that words have rhythms.

Out of the children I've taught, some have an easier time picking up on
rhythmic texts and lyrics first, and a harder time with the melodies, others
pick up on the melodies. And you can tell by age 2 or 3-the child who will
babble in the rhythm of a nursery rhyme or say the words correctly, but be
totally off melodically, vs the child who will "sing" the melody with at
least the rises and falls in the right place (although often not all the
intervals), but may not have most of the words initially. This is often, but
not always, gender linked.

Eventually, with repeated exposure, both children will master the song, but
the rhythmic child will learn something more intrinsically rhythmic first,
while the melodic child will learn something more melodic first.

So, if you have a child who is constantly clicking, popping, making body
noises, and is generally a rhythmic/unpitched sounds child, by all means get
the Addition Rap CD. It won't hurt them musically, and is likely to reach
their primary music learning style and therefore to be an easy way to master
the rote facts so long as there's a lot of application as well (learning the
facts in one precise order doesn't necessarily mean that you can easily
apply them and use them).

If you have a more melodic child, one who loves to sing and who loves things
which are more melodic, there are alternatives there as well. There are
quite a few options at any teacher's store. Dr. Jean and HeidiSongs both
tend to use familiar melodies, and can be annoying for parents but are
picked up easily by young children. Twin Sisters tends to use more new
material, but the songs are more complicated to sing, and therefore are more
appropriate for slightly older children.

And there are ones for almost every genre. I believe the same company which
does the Rap ones does Rock and Country as well. So, if you have a child who
just loves one genre, I'd suggest going ahead and looking for that genre for
rote skills practice and trying to expand musical horizons in other ways.
After all, the goal of this, and any rote learning CD isn't to teach music.
It's to expose rote material in a way which the child is likely to want to
repeat-and for that reason, using whatever form the child likes best is
likely to have the most positive effects.

Old January 4th 08, 05:40 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"deja.blues" wrote in message
newshtfj.1637$9e1.1503@trnddc02...

"Beliavsky" wrote in message

Math facts have been set to a rap music beat. "2 times 1 is 2, 2 times
2 is 4" (but it's much more fun to listen to the actual song). My 4yo
son has actually requested that we play such a CD, after he heard it
the first time. You can Google "multiplication table rap music".

Rap is not music and children should not be exposed to it in any
capacity.

The formal definition of music that I learned in university classes is
"An organized compression and rarefaction of the liquid medium of the
air". An unpitched composition for percussion, body percussion, or even
found instruments (such as STOMP) is still music. And, by that
definition, so is rap.

My bias is showing. If it helps a kid learn math, go ahead and use it.
I just find it hard to divorce rap from its unsavory connotations.
Music is in the ear of the listener, eh?

No-GOOD music is in the ear of the listener. By formal definition, pretty
much anything done with the intent to be music is music-but that doesn't
mean that anyone else likes it or wants to listen to it!

Personally, I'm just as happy that my daughter prefers melodic stuff to
hyperrhythmic. But if your child is more likely to learn "multiplication
rap" over "Schoolhouse Rock", it's not going to serve any great moral or
artistic principle to remove an effective learning tool just because you
personally don't like it. Musically, it's not going to harm your child's
development.

Just don't expect me to spend a music class teaching your child math facts,
OK?

Old January 4th 08, 01:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Beliavsky" wrote in message

Math facts have been set to a rap music beat. "2 times 1 is 2, 2 times
2 is 4" (but it's much more fun to listen to the actual song). My 4yo
son has actually requested that we play such a CD, after he heard it
the first time. You can Google "multiplication table rap music".

Rap is not music and children should not be exposed to it in any capacity.

That is an interesting standpoint. That reminds me of the older generation
discarding rock when it first appearred, though rap has been around too long
to say it has just appeared. There are a lot of crap rap artists. But there
are some good ones too. Music is a living thing. And cannot stand still.

Old January 4th 08, 06:38 PM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

"Beliavsky" wrote in message

[...]

Luckily my children "get" math. They also love death/speed metal, and I keep
telling myself "at least it's not rap!" :-/
There are a couple of musicians in my family, and they are also very
mathematically inclined .