Healthy Diets for children.

Old February 29th 08, 03:57 AM posted to misc.kids
Dom

Default Healthy Diets for children.

What are the latest recomendations for diet for children. I remember
a few years back the "Healthy Eating Pyramid". Has this been replaced
with the healthy plate or something? I'm particurlarly interested in
what percentage of daily calorie intake should come from simple
sugars.

My mother in law thinks that the kids need sugar in thier diet, and
I'm concerned that she gives them too much. I thought if I could
strategically leave some information around for her, I can avoid an
argument about the kids being spoilt. (Not to mention behavioural
issues)

Dom.
Sunshine Coast.
Australia.
Old February 29th 08, 04:02 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Dom wrote:
What are the latest recomendations for diet for children. I remember
a few years back the "Healthy Eating Pyramid". Has this been replaced
with the healthy plate or something? I'm particurlarly interested in
what percentage of daily calorie intake should come from simple
sugars.

My mother in law thinks that the kids need sugar in thier diet, and
I'm concerned that she gives them too much. I thought if I could
strategically leave some information around for her, I can avoid an
argument about the kids being spoilt. (Not to mention behavioural
issues)

Dom.
Sunshine Coast.
Australia.

You can go to www.usda.gov, www.fda.gov and www.nih.gov. These are the
US agencies responsible for food and health.

Jeff
Old February 29th 08, 11:45 AM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

According to the cereal box I was reading last night, no more than 25%
of calories should come from added sugars. This strikes me as an
absurdly high percentage, since added sugars are "empty" calories. In
our house we aim for one sweet per day, normally dessert after dinner.
We additionally let the kids put sugar (1 tsp) on their cereal or
morning fruit.

I'm not sure a cereal box is the definitive information source you were
seeking ...

--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old February 29th 08, 01:04 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Beth Kevles
says...

Hi --

According to the cereal box I was reading last night, no more than 25%
of calories should come from added sugars. This strikes me as an
absurdly high percentage, since added sugars are "empty" calories. In
our house we aim for one sweet per day, normally dessert after dinner.
We additionally let the kids put sugar (1 tsp) on their cereal or
morning fruit.

I'm not sure a cereal box is the definitive information source you were
seeking ...

The definitive information she is seeking is that she should tell her MIL to
buzz off..

Banty (crabby this morning)

Old February 29th 08, 01:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Feb 28, 10:57*pm, Dom wrote:
What are the latest recomendations for diet for children. *I remember
a few years back the "Healthy Eating Pyramid". *Has this been replaced
with the healthy plate or something? *I'm particurlarly interested in
what percentage of daily calorie intake should come from simple
sugars.

My mother in law thinks that the kids need sugar in thier diet, and
I'm concerned that she gives them too much. *

I have never heard of that. People do need to get enough calories, but
consuming lots of sugar is almost never the best way to do that.

Regarding the general subject of healthy diets, I have noticed in the
grocery store that lots of foods are now labeled as being free of
trans fats, and I wonder how important this is. New York City passed a
law limiting trans fats in 2006.
Old February 29th 08, 01:48 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Beliavsky wrote in

ups.com:

On Feb 28, 10:57*pm, Dom
wrote:
What are the latest recomendations for diet for children.
*I remember a few years back the "Healthy Eating Pyramid".
*Has this been replaced with the healthy plate or
something? *I'm particurlarly interested in what
percentage of daily calorie intake should come from simple
sugars.

My mother in law thinks that the kids need sugar in thier
diet, and I'm concerned that she gives them too much. *

I have never heard of that. People do need to get enough
calories, but consuming lots of sugar is almost never the
best way to do that.

Regarding the general subject of healthy diets, I have
noticed in the grocery store that lots of foods are now
labeled as being free of trans fats, and I wonder how
important this is. New York City passed a law limiting
trans fats in 2006.

lack of "trans fats" is probably a fad buzzword.
yes, one should avoid hydrogenated fats (trans fats). one
should also avoid high fructose corn syrup & refined grains,
additives, stabilizers. chemical colorings & flavorings...
somehow i can't see Susie or Sam Average suddenly deciding to
stop buying prepackaged "convenience" foods & learning to
actually cook & bake. if i could i'd say "this is what *i*
do", but i have the inclination & the memory of real food to
start from.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old February 29th 08, 01:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , Beth
Kevles
says...

Hi --

According to the cereal box I was reading last night, no more than 25%
of calories should come from added sugars. This strikes me as an
absurdly high percentage, since added sugars are "empty" calories. In
our house we aim for one sweet per day, normally dessert after dinner.
We additionally let the kids put sugar (1 tsp) on their cereal or
morning fruit.

I'm not sure a cereal box is the definitive information source you were
seeking ...

The definitive information she is seeking is that she should tell her MIL
buzz off..

Banty (crabby this morning)

I find that gransparent sometimes make up factoids in their heads (and they
may well beleive them) to justify what they want to do anyway. I could say
people do this, but I think grandparents think of themselves as having a
certain right and duty to spoil kids. I do as well, to a point. How much I
would fight this particular fight would depend on how often the grandma was
able to influence their intake. My mom visits twice a year. She brings the
nastiest food that she consideres "kids food." Gummies, those invidiual
packages of cheez (they dont even call themselves cheese), corn syrup "fruit
and cereal" bars. She also brings us nice stuff from the grocery store as
well. (When did my Mom get so sweet?) They eat the nasty stuff G'ma brings.
We comment on how sweet she is that she brings us crap I dont let the kids
eat. And then when it is gone, we forget about it. This is, of course, just
an example. Your mileage may vary.

Old February 29th 08, 02:19 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Stephanie says...

"Banty" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I agree totally. If it's an occassional thing, I wouldn't worry at all and
wouldn't bother to correct Grandma. Other circumstances (like the MIL as a
daily caretaker), it depends on the particulars. In extreme cases, it's still
more fun to say she should tell MIL to buzz off....

As to factoids, brains, growing brains especially - *do* need sugar. It's that
it needn't come from simple sugars in the diet. So the MIL isn't totally wrong.
But she should let her son and DIL parent their own kids.

Banty

Old February 29th 08, 03:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

enigma wrote:
Beliavsky wrote in

ups.com:

On Feb 28, 10:57 pm, Dom
wrote:
[...]

I would agree that the world isn't "fair," in that
there are other bad things that aren't highlighted in the
way that trans fats are currently highlighted, but that
doesn't mean that trans fats aren't well worth avoiding.
A large part of the issue is that they've got economically
viable alternatives to trans fats. But hey, I'm willing to
be grateful for even little bits of progress ;-)

somehow i can't see Susie or Sam Average suddenly deciding to
stop buying prepackaged "convenience" foods & learning to
actually cook & bake. if i could i'd say "this is what *i*
do", but i have the inclination & the memory of real food to
start from.

Which is why it's a good thing if convenience foods
eliminate even a few of the bad things.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 29th 08, 04:23 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

On Feb 29, 7:58 am, "Stephanie" wrote:
"Banty" wrote in message

[...]

We have friends who are "de facto" grandparents to my kids since the
real grand parents live too far away. We visit our friends almost once
a week. The kids love to eat stuff from their pantry. They have
several yummy cereals and candy. I'm actually glad that they "spoil"
my kids for an hour a week. I don't buy these stuff at my home but I
want my kids to be able to enjoy these snacks once in two weeks or so.
It's not that they need that much sugar. I want my kids to know that
junk food tastes good but it's not good for health if they eat it too
often. I think barring junk food completely may backfire as well.