facial piercings on young teens

Old October 28th 08, 04:44 AM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

Default facial piercings on young teens

Am I an old fogie at age 31? I keep having this shocked feeling when I find
out 13 and 14 year olds that I know are having their lips, tongues, navels
and/or noses pierced. Is this just normal now-a-days and I am behind the
times, or what?
This is not a case of my being a prude or uptight about the idea; I've had
tattoos and some piercings, but I was an adult, not a 13 year old. To me
there is quite a large difference in an adult and a 13/14 year old having
something like that done.

--
Marie
~The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of

Old October 28th 08, 12:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

MarieD wrote:
Am I an old fogie at age 31? I keep having this shocked feeling when I
find out 13 and 14 year olds that I know are having their lips, tongues,
navels and/or noses pierced. Is this just normal now-a-days and I am
behind the times, or what?

I haven't noticed it being common here (and heck, I'm down in Sin City
while you're up there with the snake handlers.) I'm not counting
multiple ear piercings - that doesn't seem unusual among teenagers. I'm
also not counting a nose piercing in a girl from a culture where that's
common (Indian, say). I don't know that I've seen it in a 13-year-old,
but if I saw a girl who obviously was of Indian/Pakistani heritage, I'm
sure I wouldn't think twice about it if she had a nose piercing.

This is not a case of my being a prude or uptight about the idea; I've
had tattoos and some piercings, but I was an adult, not a 13 year old.
To me there is quite a large difference in an adult and a 13/14 year old
having something like that done.

Besides, if you let them get facial piercings when they're 13, what are
you going to fight about?

Clisby
Old October 28th 08, 12:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"MarieD" wrote in message
Am I an old fogie at age 31? I keep having this shocked feeling when I
find out 13 and 14 year olds that I know are having their lips, tongues,
navels and/or noses pierced. Is this just normal now-a-days and I am
behind the times, or what?
This is not a case of my being a prude or uptight about the idea; I've had
tattoos and some piercings, but I was an adult, not a 13 year old. To me
there is quite a large difference in an adult and a 13/14 year old having
something like that done.

--

One of the things when I was growing up, was that basically the reputable
places wouldn't do non-ear piercing for under 16s (and ear piercing only

Old October 28th 08, 06:12 PM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

"Clisby" wrote in message
m...
I haven't noticed it being common here (and heck, I'm down in Sin City
while you're up there with the snake handlers.)

Snake handlers LOL I'm in the Greenville area actually. But I know what you
mean.

I'm not counting
multiple ear piercings - that doesn't seem unusual among teenagers. I'm
also not counting a nose piercing in a girl from a culture where that's
common (Indian, say). I don't know that I've seen it in a 13-year-old,
but if I saw a girl who obviously was of Indian/Pakistani heritage, I'm
sure I wouldn't think twice about it if she had a nose piercing.

I had multiple ear piercings also, but I did those myself when I was 14.
These girls I am seeing aren't pierced for cultural reasons. One of them is
my cousin and her best friend, her mother doesn't understand what people see
wrong with it. Then last night I ran into a family we used to live next to
when all our kids were toddlers. Now they are teenagers with tongue and lip
rings and pretty questionable reputations. After looking at the 13 year
old's myspace, with pictures of her and her boyfriend with tongues down each
other's throats, I am getting a sense that it involved a very
lax-to-nonexistent parenting attitude.

Besides, if you let them get facial piercings when they're 13, what are
you going to fight about?

Ugh, yeah. My oldest is 13 and so far there's not been any big fights about
anything. I've been enjoying this time, besides the moodmonster popping up
occasionally.
Marie

Old October 28th 08, 06:13 PM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

"Welches" wrote in message
One of the things when I was growing up, was that basically the reputable
places wouldn't do non-ear piercing for under 16s (and ear piercing only
with an adult). So anyone under that age that had it pierced had gone to
one of the backstreet tattoo places where they didn't ask too many
questions-and the hygene was supect.
As far as I'm aware (and I haven't researched this) this is still the case
in the UK. I know of a few 17/18yo with piercings, but not noticed many
obviously under age around.
Debbie

The piercing studios here will do it with a parent's permission. When my
husband had his tattoo/piercing shop though, he did not do any type of work
on minors, even with parent's permission.
Marie

Old October 28th 08, 08:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Welches" wrote in message

"MarieD" wrote in message
[...]

I think this is an unfair statement about hygene and all that.
Here at an actual piercing shop, the norm for piercings is around 14-16. It
has been a couple years since I've walked into a shop, though. With a
parent or guardian's permission, it can be younger. I also know that
there's certain situations where they won't do it until 18. Something like
a tongue, genitals, bla bla bla. Or with parents' permission - although I
am not sure, but I think a piercing in certain places is 18+, no matter what
(I believe they're piercings like a Prince Albert or something lol)
A number of years back, I had a few other piercings. At one point, I had my
eyebrown, labret, lip and tongue done, along with 2 in each of my ears. I
now no longer have the labret and lip due to tooth/gum damage as a direct
result of the piercings. I also have my ears at a 0ga on the bottom lobes
and about 4ga on the top holes on my lobes.
I was, I believe, 16 when I had my tongue and lip done. 17 or 18 with my
labret. 18 or 19 with my eyebrow.
For all of them when I was under 18, I did need parental consent. I went to
a reputable shop with full health inspections and it was not dirty. Maybe
kids will be kids, or teens will be monsters, but I managed to get by the
"parental consent" by bringing a "signed" letter from my "mom"... which was
actually a letter a friend wrote and signed and gave HER phone number for in
case the shop wanted to contact my "mom" to double check for the permission
thing. They did call and my friend/mom said yes, I had permission.
I think with piercings, the one good thing is that they aren't permanent.
My labret and lip are both fully grown over. If I keep my eyebrown barbell
out for any length of time, it does start to grow over. That's the good
thing about piercings - they can still grow over and be gone.
I know I'd be ****ed off if my child came home with piercings. I also do
know that I would get over it. It's not permanent. I also am pretty sure
that my anger wouldn't be from the actual piercing itself, but more because
I said no, I said wait, we didn't discuss this, you went behind my back,
etc.,if this was the case. If one came home with a tattoo, however, I'd
literally flip out and I would NOT get over it. Tattoos are permanent and
there pretty much for good. I really would lose it with a tattoo.
Oh, and neither of my girls - now 2 and 3 - have their ears pierced. This
is something I feel strongly about to wait until their old enough to make
their own decision about an actually ask to have their ears pierced - and
will do that if and when they are old enough to ask.

Old October 31st 08, 12:38 AM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

MarieD wrote:
"Clisby" wrote in message
m...
I haven't noticed it being common here (and heck, I'm down in Sin City
while you're up there with the snake handlers.)

Snake handlers LOL I'm in the Greenville area actually. But I know what
you mean.

You might appreciate this, from a local blog (click on the map for a
better view):

http://xark.typepad.com/my_weblog/charleston/index.html

Clisby
Old October 31st 08, 01:42 AM posted to misc.kids
MarieD[_2_]

"Clisby" wrote in message
m...
You might appreciate this, from a local blog (click on the map for a
better view):

http://xark.typepad.com/my_weblog/charleston/index.html

That was really cute! Knuckle draggers and mouth-breathers for sure! I'll
have to save that one. A few houses down from me lives the Jerry Springer
family. I've watched this huge bald guy chase another guy down the street,
yelling that he never come back. Very entertaining.
Marie