Constant thirst

Old March 12th 08, 03:33 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

Default Constant thirst

Hi all

I'm a little concerned about Jessica. She's 20 months, and has a constant
thirst.

She's always been quite thirsty, but a few months ago she got hold of the
cat's worming medicene. She didn't drink much of it at all, but one of the
possible effects were kidney probs. I called NHS Direct (a UK nurse led call
centre) and they advised that I just monitored her. Within two days, she was
drinking constantly, so I called again, and they told me to take her to A&E.
We saw a pediatrican, who checked the toxicology database and checked her
over and said she'd be ok. Her thirst died down again, although she
continued to drink a lot.

However, in the last two weeks, she's been continuously thirsty again.
Whether I give her water milk or squash, she asks for another drink as soon
as she's finished the first one, and is never far from her drink. Her sippy
cups and bottles both hold 9oz, and while I've not counted exactly, she gets
through at least 12 a day, and they're just the ones I can recall off hand
and not including extra ones such as cartons when we're out etc. In the car
when DH takes me to work, she'll get through two bottles within the hour
journey, and still be fussing for more.

Any thoughts?

Lucy x

Old March 12th 08, 03:59 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Stormlady

"lu-lu" wrote in message
[...]

I have no specific ideas, but I would definately take her to the Dr.,
diabetes comes to mind first as one of the symptoms is thirst. It seems
like she's drinking excessively to me. My Dd is about 3 and a half, and she
only goes through probably 2, maybe 3 sippy cups a day of liquid, depending
on her activity level. 12 a day at 9oz each is a little over 3 liters, I
don't even know if I could drink that much in a day.

Heather

Old March 12th 08, 04:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"Stormlady" wrote in message

"lu-lu" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Heather,

Yeah, i thought it was massively excessive too. She wakes me in the morning
by shouting "Juice!" and it doesn't stop all day - I even had to stop in the
middle of writing the original post as she wanted more. I'm a thirsty person
too, and often find I get stressed if I don't drink enough, but she drinks
even more than me.

Diabetes was what came to my mind too : / Our GP's surgery is a nightmare
for making appointments though, and I'm struggling to get her in, despite
daily calls.

Thanks for your reply

Lucy x

Old March 12th 08, 04:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"lu-lu" wrote in message

Yeah, i thought it was massively excessive too. She wakes me in the

morning
by shouting "Juice!" and it doesn't stop all day - I even had to stop in

the
middle of writing the original post as she wanted more. I'm a thirsty

person
too, and often find I get stressed if I don't drink enough, but she drinks
even more than me.

Just to prove a point on that, I wrote my first post 35 mins ago, she's
already whinging for more :-S

Lucy x

Old March 12th 08, 04:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"lu-lu" wrote in message

"lu-lu" wrote in message

Yeah, i thought it was massively excessive too. She wakes me in the

morning
by shouting "Juice!" and it doesn't stop all day - I even had to stop in

the
middle of writing the original post as she wanted more. I'm a thirsty

person
too, and often find I get stressed if I don't drink enough, but she
drinks
even more than me.

Just to prove a point on that, I wrote my first post 35 mins ago, she's
already whinging for more :-S

Lucy x

Diabetes came to mind too.See if you can take a wee sample with you. They
may be able to do an initial dipstick check then (like in pregnancy)
Other thought, is does she drink as much when she's busy. I know that #2
will often ask for food or drink when she's a bit bored and I'm not giving
her attention, and it can get excessive if I'm very busy. Try offering water
rather than juice, (if your not already). If she's drinking that much then
it's going to be better for her and if she's drinking because she likes the
taste but isn't thirsty, then it may reduce the amount.
Debbie

Old March 12th 08, 04:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"Welches" wrote in message
Diabetes came to mind too.See if you can take a wee sample with you. They

may be able to do an initial dipstick check then (like in pregnancy)
Other thought, is does she drink as much when she's busy. I know that #2
will often ask for food or drink when she's a bit bored and I'm not giving
her attention, and it can get excessive if I'm very busy. Try offering

water
rather than juice, (if your not already). If she's drinking that much then
it's going to be better for her and if she's drinking because she likes

the
taste but isn't thirsty, then it may reduce the amount.
Debbie

Hi Debbie

Nope, it makes little difference. If we're out, I take plenty of money with
me to buy her extra drinks as she quickly gets trhough what I've taken with
me. If we're playing with her briks for example, she'll either be drinking,
or have her drink next to her. Even when we're walking the dog, she'll start
crying if I've not brough one for her. She's asleep at the moment, but I've
made her a drink for when she wakes (I don't offer it when I go in, I wait
for her to start demanding it).

I just read somewhere about someone who had a similar thing, where their
child would drink out of anything if they didn't have a drink, and she does
that too - she'll drink the bath water, the dog or cat's water, any thing,
and her child had diabetes. I'm not 100% convinced she had it, but I'm
certainly worried enough to get her checked.

This was another response I found in Google Answers:

I have a 2-year-old son who has constantly craved water and other
liquids since he was weaned from breastfeeding at 12 months. We
finally had a blood workup done on him the day before yesterday
because his constant need to drink was driving us crazy. Up until
now, our pediatrician was not concerned because he was in the normal
range for weight and although a little on the short side, he was still
in the normal range for height, and had no other symptoms.
Unfortunately, the blood tests show high levels of creatinine and his
BUN (blood urea nitrogen) levels are also high. This indicates that
his kidneys are not functioning properly. We need to go for further
testing including an ultrasound, but that is where we are right now.
I really hope for both of you that you've already had a complete blood
workup that tests the BUN and creatinine levels also, and if those are
normal then you can't have what my son has. But please make sure you
do that because what they think my son has (medullary cystic disease)
will eventually cause kidney failure. It's better to know and be
prepared. Best wishes to both of you.

So, yeah. I don't know really. I probably should Googling as I'm starting to
freak myself, as you do! I want the result that says it's something child
prodigys do!

Lucy x

Old March 12th 08, 06:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"lu-lu" wrote in message

"Welches" wrote in message
[...]

snip
I wouldn't worry on the drinking other things. #1 would hardly drink
anything (2oz in a day was a lot at a year, other than 3 breast feeds a day)
but she drank the bathwater, swimming pool water, dishwater... didn't do the
cat's water as we don't have pets!
Debbie

Old March 12th 08, 08:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Diabetes was what came to my mind too : / Our GP's surgery is a nightmare
for making appointments though, and I'm struggling to get her in, despite
daily calls.

you might want to remind them that they have to get you in within
48hours with a doctor and 5 days with a named doctor and you'll be
contacting the local PCT if they don't make you and appointment NOW.

Anne
Old March 12th 08, 10:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lu-lu

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

Diabetes was what came to my mind too : / Our GP's surgery is a

nightmare
for making appointments though, and I'm struggling to get her in,

despite
daily calls.

you might want to remind them that they have to get you in within
48hours with a doctor and 5 days with a named doctor and you'll be
contacting the local PCT if they don't make you and appointment NOW.

Anne

Their new thing is that you now have to call up at 8am to make pre-bookables
as well as emergency appointments - they told me this at 10am. Yesterday,
at 9am, I'd called too early. Monday, at 10am, I had the option to come down
at 5pm to sit and wait as I'd left it too late. Last week, I could call
from 8.45 for an emergency or after 10am for a pre-bookable. My last surgery
was the same.

What gets me, is that whatever time of the day you call, they're fully
booked - what I want to know is how the hell the other patients are booking
up all the slots!

Lucy x

Old March 12th 08, 11:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"lu-lu" wrote in message

[...]

That's bad. My last practice was like that-until I told the GP, and suddenly
the receptionist disappeared and finally you could get appointments.
Certainly one time I'd been told there were no appointments for 3 days and I
turned up and the place was empty and he said he was having a light day.
That was the point that I told him a few things about the receptionist,
including how she'd sent away a friend of mine who'd turned up and asked for
an appointment because she thought that she'd got menengitits and collapsed
on the way home.

My present practice I think I've only once not been offered the same day,
and that was very apologetically. With the children it's often within the
hour, if there isn't a space then they say bring them down and they'll
squeeze them in as soon as possible. I love my practice!
Debbie

Constant questioning Donna Metler General 7 February 28th 08 05:27 AM
Constant sniffing Laur? General 6 June 14th 04 09:13 PM
constant crying Melanie N General 26 May 18th 04 01:54 PM
constant vomiting Jess Pregnancy 6 January 30th 04 12:56 AM
breastmilk as a thirst quencher elizabeth emerald Breastfeeding 2 August 13th 03 12:13 PM