Walking & shoes

Old April 29th 05, 05:29 PM
ChitaShines

Default Walking & shoes

My 13 MO DD is not quite walking yet, but will take a few steps here and
there. I keep her barefooted around the house. Is it best to keep her
barefooted until she is fully walking or should I have shoes on her now?
I've heard a tale that having shoes on them makes them learn to walk. Is
this true?

Also, when she is finally walking, what are the best shoes for her? Any
kind? Are scandals ok or does she need to be in those white boot-looking
shoes?

Thanks!

Old April 29th 05, 05:31 PM
Mary W.

ChitaShines wrote:
My 13 MO DD is not quite walking yet, but will take a few steps here and
there. I keep her barefooted around the house. Is it best to keep her
barefooted until she is fully walking or should I have shoes on her now?
I've heard a tale that having shoes on them makes them learn to walk. Is
this true?

Also, when she is finally walking, what are the best shoes for her? Any
kind? Are scandals ok or does she need to be in those white boot-looking
shoes?

Something with a very flexible sole. DD2, cruising, soon to be
walking, is wearing Robeez (www.robeez.com). Very soft, but
enough leather to protect her feet.

DD1 was mostly in socks or barefoot but as a new walker
I bought her some sandals from Striderite that had a very
flexible sole and protected her feet outside. Her first
sneakers were the Nike toddler ones with the pink swoosh.
These have a very flexible sole. In fact, I keep buying
them in larger sizes for her, she's now 4. I usually find
them on sale at Sears, Kohls or JC penney.

Mary W.
Old April 29th 05, 05:40 PM
shinypenny

ChitaShines wrote:
My 13 MO DD is not quite walking yet, but will take a few steps here

and
there. I keep her barefooted around the house. Is it best to keep

her
barefooted until she is fully walking or should I have shoes on her

now?
I've heard a tale that having shoes on them makes them learn to walk.

Is
this true?

Actually, it's the opposite: shoes can delay learning to walk:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...n?OpenDocument

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/info/pr/hmm/96fall/sole.html

jen

Old April 29th 05, 05:43 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi --

I'd keep her barefoot until she needs to walk in a place where one would
expect shoes: hot surfaces such as asphalt, public places where glass
might once have been dropped, or dogs been wandering loose, etc.

When you go for her first shoes, get something that fits well, has a
flexible sole, and is close-toed to protect her feet. Remember, she's
going to be falling a great deal at the beginning, and the places where
one wears shoes are typically places where one wishes to protect little
feet, tops as well as bottoms!

By the time she turns two sandals should be fine for hot weather.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old April 29th 05, 05:45 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"ChitaShines" wrote:

My 13 MO DD is not quite walking yet, but will take a few steps here and
there. I keep her barefooted around the house. Is it best to keep her
barefooted until she is fully walking or should I have shoes on her now?
I've heard a tale that having shoes on them makes them learn to walk. Is
this true?

Also, when she is finally walking, what are the best shoes for her? Any
kind? Are scandals ok or does she need to be in those white boot-looking
shoes?

Thanks!

Most of what I've read says to keep kids barefoot as much as possible,
and to have them in soft sole shoes when you can. Obviously, there are
safety considerations -- you wouldn't take them out in thin, soft soled
shoes on snow an ice! -- but apparently the foot develops better if
children are left barefoot.

Old April 30th 05, 04:59 AM
Plissken

"ChitaShines" wrote in message
.com...
My 13 MO DD is not quite walking yet, but will take a few steps here and
there. I keep her barefooted around the house. Is it best to keep her
barefooted until she is fully walking or should I have shoes on her now?
I've heard a tale that having shoes on them makes them learn to walk. Is
this true?

Also, when she is finally walking, what are the best shoes for her? Any
kind? Are scandals ok or does she need to be in those white boot-looking
shoes?

Yep, barefoot is best but I love these...

http://www.robeez.com/

if I need to put shoes on a just walking infant.

Old April 30th 05, 01:40 PM
Jeanne

"ChitaShines" wrote in message
.com...
My 13 MO DD is not quite walking yet, but will take a few steps here and
there. I keep her barefooted around the house. Is it best to keep her
barefooted until she is fully walking or should I have shoes on her now?
I've heard a tale that having shoes on them makes them learn to walk. Is
this true?

Also, when she is finally walking, what are the best shoes for her? Any
kind? Are scandals ok or does she need to be in those white boot-looking
shoes?

Thanks!

We kept DS barefoot as long as possible. We finally got him a pair of
Robeez (sp? - very soft soled leather shoes) to wear when he wanted to walk
at DD's horse camp but couldn't (gravel driveway). He got "real" shoes
(with flexible soles) closer to 17 months when the weather got cold.

Jeanne

Old May 2nd 05, 07:36 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"ChitaShines" wrote:

My 13 MO DD is not quite walking yet, but will take a few steps here and
there. I keep her barefooted around the house. Is it best to keep her
barefooted until she is fully walking or should I have shoes on her now?
I've heard a tale that having shoes on them makes them learn to walk. Is
this true?

Definitely not -- there are plenty of cultures where shoes are unknown and the
people are still ambulant!

In Australia the recommendation is to keep them barefoot while they learn to
walk, unless shoes are needed to protect the feet from stones, glass etc.
Then buy good shoes from a shop that checks that they fit properly.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.