Private Detective...anyone ever use one?

Old July 8th 03, 05:05 AM
Gypsy0005

Default Private Detective...anyone ever use one?

We are thinking of using a private detective before we go back to court next
year to emancipate my husbands daughter.
Husbands ex wife has always claimed she doesn't feel she should have to work
since she stays home with her 5 kids (3 are his) she is remarried. We have
found out recently from co-worker that the ex went to work right after the last
court hearing for a major department store. Her new hubby made her quit
because all she did was buy herself designer clothes...who knew the slut would
be selfish too! She then went to work at another job and as far as we know she
is still working.
What I'd like to do is have all this info and much more ready when we file our
court papers next spring as I'm sure she will be conventiently unemployed when
it comes time to go to court.
Has anyone ever used a P.I. for this type of thing and did it help? I'm hoping
any info we gather will demonstrate to the judge that she is capable of working
and chooses not to when it suits her needs. Also hoping to find out exactly
how financially set she is. Don't get me wrong...I hope she is rich so we can
show the courts that her share of the "shared income" figures should be
increased.
Let the countdown begin.....next year we get rid of one and the following year
we finally emancipate the last one!!!!! YIPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
Old July 8th 03, 06:46 AM
Father Drew

I hired a PI, and it paid off. I can't say it was the PI alone, but the way
I worked the situation in combination with having one.
If you can afford one, it helps, but they are expensive. I got mine for $58
an hr, but most are closer to $100 an hr and they charge for milage when
they have to tail the target. It's not a cheap way to go, so I would weigh
the cost of the PI vs. taking the loss on the ex's lies about income.
Also, the PI will charge to show up to court, but I found a loophole. Have
them write their report which you will have to disclose in order to get it
into evidence. To authenticate it, the PI will need to be there, and that's
where they get you. If you supeona them, they have to show up. Tell them
you are done with their services and no longer will pay for future services,
then supeona them to court, cause thay have to go. Odds are, you won't need
them there, because the disclosure of the report would be enough to force
the ex into telling the truth on the stand.
In you situation, don't bother unless you are loaded. Simply request her
paystubs as part of the Discovery process. If she lies or does not
disclose, you can catch her at a later date when you file a modification of
child support.

-Drew

Old July 8th 03, 06:02 PM
Father Drew

"Freedom" wrote in message
them write their report which you will have to disclose in order to get

it
into evidence. To authenticate it, the PI will need to be there, and

that's

How and when do you "disclose" it?

Supposed to disclose any and all evidence obtained through Discovery or
non-public information at least ten days before trial. Sneaky lawyers have
been known to disclose 1 day before court so the other party has little time
to examine it. To disclose, you simply give the other party a copy of the
evidence. In court, you can always bring along evidence, and if you don't
disclose it, you can still use as an exhibit, but it won't hold water
because it wasn't disclosed to the other party prior to trial, and you won't
get it into evidence (difference between an exhibit and evidence). The
whole idea of disclosure is so you can't ambush the other party by getting
them in a lie and springing last minute evidence on them. It kinda sucks,
but really makes sense too, because if the evidence is fabricated, one would
have no way to dispute it on the spot. In the end, it really forces the
other party to tell the truth on the stand when they know you have evidence
that you may or may not admit later.

where they get you. If you supeona them, they have to show up. Tell

them
you are done with their services and no longer will pay for future

services,
then supeona them to court, cause thay have to go. Odds are, you won't

need
them there, because the disclosure of the report would be enough to

force
the ex into telling the truth on the stand.
In you situation, don't bother unless you are loaded.

paystubs as part of the Discovery process.

Discovery can occur for any support hearing?

Good question. I would say only to the point of what is relevant to the
case, meaning getting copies of mental records would not be relevant. I did
mione all at once, custody and everything, so all the docs were fair game.
I'll have to look into that through.

If she lies or does not disclose, you can catch her at a later date when

you file a modification of
child support.

What do you mean "catch her"? So if during discovery she denies

working,
in a few short months after a PI finds she is working, you nail her in
modification motion. But what good would that do? Couldn't she say "at
that time I wasn't working, and now I am". Wouldn't it be better to use
Discovery, get the lies, and then have evidence to the contrary

immediately?

Certainly better to catch her on the sopt if you can, because it's always
easier to prevent actions before they start as opposed to fighting to fix
them later. My point is that it can be done after the fact as well, so all
is not lost. In addition, the hard evidence of her employment vs her lies
discredits her in the future. I think we all know that a biased judge will
not charge her with purgery, but it will discredit her to a point.

-Drew

Old July 9th 03, 02:53 AM
Gypsy0005

Certainly better to catch her on the sopt if you can, because it's always
easier to prevent actions before they start as opposed to fighting to fix
them later. My point is that it can be done after the fact as well, so all
is not lost.

I think we will go with the P.I. I once had an attorney tell me that it is
much easier to get the courts to find in your favor than it is to ever get
things undone. Aside from the fact that it will cost more $$ to go back to
court and of course you have the months and months of waiting for all of this
to come to court. All this time we will be paying support, of course. I want
to do everything to make sure that this kid is emancipated the instant she
turns 18!

Thanks for all the great suggestions!