Ok, another name poll :)

Old July 11th 03, 03:35 AM
Em

Default Ok, another name poll :)

"Ali's Daddie" wrote in message
snip
My favorite name though was Jacinda. I have loved the name for years, but
made the mistake of naming a pet that several years ago, and thought the
baby would be traumatized if we named her after a pomeranian lol.

I'll stop now, but choosing names was one of my favorite things to do :-D

My first name is the same as my mom's childhood terrier. She swears that
naming me the same thing had *nothing* do to with the dog and that she just
liked the name and it was one that my dad would *finally* agree on. Same
with my sister whose first name is the same as another one of those
childhood terriers. Mom says it is totally unrelated & she didn't even think
about it when she picked the names! Hmm...

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old July 11th 03, 03:37 AM
Em

"Kari" wrote in message
We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have

our
top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've

basically
decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought

you
guys could at least give an opinion.

Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle

I like Amelia Grace. I also like Amelia Noelle, if you wanted to mix them up
(I think it was Les that mentioned that already).

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old July 11th 03, 04:03 AM
Nina

"Denise" wrote Alegra was
originally
going to be spelled Alegrah until I was told that it looked "ghetto"
(whatever that means)

That means it looks like something lower class black parents would use,

I know plenty of "ghetto" people who are neither black or lower class.

So do I. I know plenty of black people who are neither ghetto or lower
class.
'But when the term "ghetto name" is used, it generally refers to African
American naming practices, particularly those of the lower classes. Black
naming practices have been studied for decades, its no secret that African
American parents name their children differently and sometimes quite
distinctly from non-black Americans. Blacks in inner cities and in lower
socio-economic levels name their kids very differently from whites in the
same socio-ecomic level and also other blacks. "Ghetto names" generally
refers to the names of this particular group of people. Whether thats right
or wrong, is a differnt debate.
Nina

Old July 11th 03, 04:18 AM
Nina

"Denise" wrote
That means it looks like something lower class black parents would use,

I know plenty of "ghetto" people who are neither black or lower class.

The problem is that certain names carry the stigma of being black names,
some of being "lower class". "Ghetto names" usually refers to names that
indicate both blackness and socio-economic status. A link that briefly
mentions the link between the naming practices and the socieconmic status of
the black person who carries it"

"Afrocentric names became the new trend in low-income black culture."
(http://economics.uchicago.edu/downlo...plications.pdf)

Whether you think its right, the stigma of having a ghetto name is hard to
overcome.

http://www.irs.princeton.edu/krueger/names2.htm

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...34_name15.html

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/02/12/Co...e_or_lab.shtml

Old July 11th 03, 04:33 AM
Kara H

I vote Amelia Grace. Ever since I saw that Andrea had an Amelia, the name
has grown on me. Now, I like it a *lot* and especially in combination with
Grace. I am not a fan of the name Noelle but I'm not sure why. Just one of
those things I can't explain I guess.

Good luck! Just remember to choose from the heart!

-Kara

Old July 11th 03, 06:44 AM
Denise

"Kari" wrote in

My sister said it sounds too trendy (Paige) and though I dont know any
Paige's, I can see how that may be true. We liked Emily a LOT but then

with
the popularity of the name, I wasn't sure. I fell in love with Amelia

since
it is so similar to Emily. I love Grace as well, and would probably be

using
it for the first name but it doesn't flow well with our last name.

Yeah, I really wanted my middle dd's first name to be Grace (mostly so I
could call her Gracie), but I couldn't think of a middle name that made
Grace Anderson sound good.
When I named Emily, I was the first of my crowd to be having kids so I
wasn't around babies or toddlers or anything. I had NO idea how popular
Emily was and thought I was being creative naming her after Emily
Dickinson.. I've since moved on to having an Alissa and a Katie, all names
on the most popular list. It'd be hard for me to choose something eccentric
now, but I'm toying with Rhiannon or Sioban for the new baby.

Old July 11th 03, 07:08 AM
Plissken

I love Paige Noelle! Paige was on my list as well but DH nixed it :-(

Nadene

Old July 11th 03, 07:14 AM
Catherine C.

"Kari" wrote in message .. .
We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have our
top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've basically
decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a she)
and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought you
guys could at least give an opinion.

Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle

I think its definately going to be between those top 2 but I've heard so
many pretty names from family and friends that its gotten terribly hard to
pick and I keep rethinking and changing my mind! Im glad we picked a boy
name before I was even pregnant, (he however, does not have a middle name
picked yet

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

I also vote for Paige Noelle :-)

Catherine C.
grandmother to Brendan--Sept. 22, 2002
Old July 11th 03, 08:25 AM
andrea

" "Kari" wrote in message

We have our boy name picked but we are undecided on a girl name. We have

our
top 2 choices and we cannot seem to pick one over the other. We've

basically
decided to wait and see what she looks like (if she turns out to be a

she)
and go from there. But since Cheryl just started a name poll, I thought

you
guys could at least give an opinion.

Ameila Grace OR Paige Noelle

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due Sept/Oct

I vote Amelia Grace :O)

I have 5 kids and they all have a variation, some are common names like
Peter, Joseph and Ellie, then there are the two less common Alden and
Kamron.
My mom told me she was in too much pain to give me a middle name! I am the
eldest of 5 and all the others got a middle name! not fair ( Mind you, I
am not sure it would be easy to find a middle name that went with Andrea.

--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 4

Old July 11th 03, 11:48 AM
Elly

"Ali's Daddie" ha scritto nel messaggio
BTDT! I got so tired of hearing "but thats a pill". But ya know? Now that
she is here, I cannot imagine EVER having called her anything else :-)

And for those who do not like the name, her nickname is Ali (pronounced
Alley) so everyone seems happy.

I just have to say, I love the way how you combined her first and second
name into her nickname - that's so pretty :-)

Elly
27 weeks + 4 days
EDD October 6th