Jaundice?

Old November 26th 06, 10:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default Jaundice?

DD2 will be 5 weeks old on Tuesday... She's nursing like a champ - eats like
a horse (birth weight was 7lbs 3oz, at 8 days she was 7lbs 8oz, and at 3
weeks she was 9lbs 2oz, and haven't weighed her in 2 weeks yet, so not sure
what her weight is now)
She has plenty of dirty and wet diapers. She has a very good latch and a
good, strong suck.
When we got home from the hospital, the home health nurse checked her out.
She was a day old when the nurse looked her over, and the nurse said she was
a bit jaundice, but said it was alright. At her 2 week checkup with the
ped, when she was 3 weeks old, the ped said she was jaundice, but again, he
wasn't concerned and said very little. Now she's almost 5 weeks old, and
she is STILL so yellow! I had noticed it right from the start. DH said he
didn't notice it, neither did any family. Everyone said I was seeing
things, but just the other day, DH said, out of nowhere, that yes, she looks
fairly yellow, and he said he could really notice it, and said maybe it was
because she's getting bigger - has a bit bigger and rounder face.
I'm debating on calling the 24 hour RN phone line to see if this is normal.
I've been kind of freaked ever since DS's parent/teacher interviews on
Thursday when one of the other moms I was talking to sort of freaked me out
about jaundice, saying that it can be so very serious and all that, and it
shouldn't be taken lightly. My cousin, also, had to spend something like 2
days at the hospital when her daughter (she's 5 weeks younger than DD1, so
this was probably about 14 months ago) was jaundice.
Should I be concerned? Should I just call anyways? I'm kind of not wanting
to look like a crazy parent worrying over nothing, and none of my other
children had jaundice. I really don't even know what to look for, what it
is, why it is or anything. I just see that DD2's skin is very yellowish, as
are the whites of her eyes. Her eyes almost look like they have a film over
them... It's kind of hard to explain! Any ideas or suggestions?

Old November 26th 06, 11:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Me Myself and I

--
"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

I would get your GP to check her bili levels. DD1 was still jaundiced at 5
weeks but she was bright red which meant it was not sever, but I would
certainly have got her tested if she were yellow at 5 weeks.

A quick blood test and you will know if she needs other treatment. Is she
getting plenty of sun? Let her sleep near a bright window (out of full sun)
for 15 minutes everyday to help flush her system out.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
"Uhhhhh ohhhhhh" is my new favourite phrase, now what other trouble can I
find!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old November 27th 06, 06:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

as there has been no change, I wouldn't be panicing, but I would make the
next available appointment with the pediatrician/doctor, given it's been
hanging around for so long, it's definitely worth doing some blood tests.
The fact she appears to be gaining well and has wet and dirty diapers is a
good sign.

Cheers

Anne

Old November 27th 06, 08:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Notchalk

On 2006-11-27 14:25:13 +0800, "Anne Rogers" said:

as there has been no change, I wouldn't be panicing, but I would make
the next available appointment with the pediatrician/doctor, given it's
been hanging around for so long, it's definitely worth doing some blood
tests. The fact she appears to be gaining well and has wet and dirty
diapers is a good sign.

Cheers

Anne

It is probably just breastmilk jaundice which is harmless usually, but
it's a good idea to get checked for metabolic conditions or blood
incompatibilities.

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old November 27th 06, 02:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

I am pretty hypersensitive to the jaundice thing, even though I know that a
certain amount of jaundice is normal. My DD1 was born with a liver disease
that eventually required a liver transplant at 7 months old. She stayed
jaundice past the normal amount of time and definitely was still jaundice at
5 weeks. We went for our 2-month check up and shots and she was still
jaundice. That led to our rollercoaster ride of surgeries and a liver
transplant. So, I don't say this to scare you, but I would definitely make
an appointment with the doctor and get him/her to check liver enzymes. Our
daughter was sleeping fine, gaining weight pretty good, and otherwise
healthy. So I wouldn't discount the fact that she is doing well. If the
whites of the eyes are yellow and she is looking yellow, then I definitely
would see a doctor. Good luck. Let us know an update.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 27th 06, 03:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Well, thanks for all the replies and info.
I'm sure it's nothing (but then again, last I checked, I'm not quite
starting medical school, nevermind finished!) but I am going to call the
ped's office right at 9 when they open - and get a busy signal for the first
half hour, then sit on hold for the next!
I'll see if I can sneak her in today or tomorrow. Both girls have an
appointment with the ped in about 3ish weeks, but as they always say, see
you next time or call if you have any concerns before that. So I will call.
I'll do an update as soon as I know!
And, as always, thanks!

Old November 27th 06, 03:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Sue wrote:
"xkatx" wrote in message
[...]

How horrible for you Sue. I know a woman on another board who has just
been through a similar experience, although I think her baby wasn't
doing so well to start with. However the doctor thought different and
didn't act and the baby got really sick. He is recovering from an
operation now, but it is something they shouldn't have gone through.
Personnally I would get it checked out.

Jeni

Old November 27th 06, 07:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

[...]

Sue, would it have made any difference if she had been treated sooner? or is
it general fair to say that if the baby seems to be doing fine, then it's
something you want to get checked out, but not something you want to be
treating as an emergency?

Anne

Old November 27th 06, 11:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Sue, would it have made any difference if she had been treated sooner? or
is it general fair to say that if the baby seems to be doing fine, then

it's
something you want to get checked out, but not something you want to be
treating as an emergency?

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

It's not an emergency situation, like the child needs to be seen today.
However, you don't want to leave it too long as sometimes the earlier the
treatment gets started, the better off the liver is. Once the liver starts
to become hard and tissues dies off, then it is harder to treat and the
patient doesn't do as well.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 28th 06, 01:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

wrote in message
How horrible for you Sue. I know a woman on another board who has just

been through a similar experience, although I think her baby wasn't
doing so well to start with. However the doctor thought different and
didn't act and the baby got really sick. He is recovering from an
operation now, but it is something they shouldn't have gone through.
Personnally I would get it checked out.

Yes, it was pretty horrible at the time. Now, she is a 14-year-old, sassy,
normal girl. ) What kind of operation did the child go through do you
know? If the child had liver disease, the operations are really hard to not
do because it's not something that just gets better. However, it depends on
what is going on with your friend's child.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Western medicine studies Eastern herbal remedy for jaundice Ilena Kids Health 1 January 19th 04 06:27 PM
question about jaundice kylee General 6 January 1st 04 05:41 PM
question about jaundice kylee Breastfeeding 3 January 1st 04 03:15 PM
Jaundice after 3 weeks ozox Pregnancy 5 December 21st 03 03:31 PM
Helping *another* friend--bf jaundice Herself Breastfeeding 6 October 17th 03 04:50 AM