I have a local LLL leader and the health nurse stumped...

Old January 27th 07, 02:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default I have a local LLL leader and the health nurse stumped...

I have something strange going on, and it's left both an LLL leader and a
health nurse wondering.

For some reason, my nipples are extremely red, when they're normally like a
light brown color. Just the nipples, not around or anything. Also, the
nipples only are kind of peeling fine layers of skin. The best way I can
describe it is... It almost looks like my nipples are sunburned (oh, it's
winter here, so no sunning in the nude for me lol)
They also look almost like they're chapped... If you've ever had very dry
skin in the winter and your knuckles in the creases have split open and
bleed, that's almost what the small creases in my nipples look like,
although there's no actual blood. It looks like they should be bleeding or
have bled recently, yet no blood at all.
DD2 (now 3 months) is still feeding and nursing like a pro. She is NOT
nipple feeding or sucking. She also doesn't comfort suck for very long or
very often. She's gaining weight, has plenty of diapers for me to change
and she's very content for the most part.
I have no yeast infection, no real obvious signs of thrush for either of us.
My nipples are just EXTREMELY red, look sunburned with some peeling skin and
then the thing that looks like they're real chapped.
I have no fever, the nipples are not extremely hot to touch. I have not
changed anything that touches me - no new soaps, shampoos, laundry
detergent, clothes, perfumes, makeup, deoderant, etc. I also do not use
soap directly around my breasts. There's nothing that we use sexually in
that area either.
The nipples are a bit sore, although sore isn't a very good word. Kind of
tender, kind of 'pinching' feeling. The kicker is they are not painful
before, during OR after a feeding. The pump, OTOH, is extremely painful.
DD2 nursing is NOT one bit. She has no complaints, I have no complaints.
It just doesn't feel right. Not in pain, but just feels different. VERY
hard to explain. It's just strange that this is happening. I first noticed
it about 7-10 days ago or so. It doesn't seem to be going away or getting
better, and I don't think it's been getting worse lately.

So, here it is...
-DD is content, eats well
-DD doesn't nipple nurse, doesn't do much comfort sucking
-Has a very good latch (lips back both top and bottom, full nipple and what
seems like half a boob in her mouth, tongue is at the bottom) and she does
suck and swallow
-No visible (or feeling) signs of thrush or a yeast infection for either of
us
-No new anything touching nipples to cause this
-No fevers, headaches
-I have a history of eczema, but seemed to have grown out of it
-No known allergies to any medications or anything, other than a bad allergy
to bees
-Only one 1 perscription, and it's the Micronor (sp?) mini-pill, and have
taken this nightly since shortly after the beginning of Jan
-Noticed this nipple thing for 7-10 days
-No bleeding, just looks like it should be bleeding or had recently been
bleeding, but hasn't
-Fine layer of skin on the nipple only that is peeling a bit
-No pain before, during or after feedings. No real pain at all. If I had
to scale it, I would say it would be about 0.5 on a scale of 1-10 (10=big
pain)

Any ideas?

The LLL leader I talked to earlier this evening said she was going to make a
few calls to a LLL member in Toronto who is also a pharmacist that
specializes in medications taken while pregnant or breastfeeding. She said
she'd do some research and call me back before 9pm tonight - it's almost 8pm
now, and I talked to her around 530-6, so maybe I have her really stumped?

Old January 27th 07, 02:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

Even though it's not really hurting you, that is what thrush LOOKS
like. I'd treat for thrush and see if that helps.

Leslie

Old January 27th 07, 08:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Leslie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Even though it's not really hurting you, that is what thrush LOOKS
like. I'd treat for thrush and see if that helps.

Leslie

The health nurse said that it sounds like thrush, with a few exceptions.
She cannot diagnose, but she said she'd like for me to see a doctor within
24 hours. The LLL lady I talked to said the same thing - sounds like
classic thrush, with a few exceptions as there's no pain or anything. She
said she's looking at 3 possibilities... Get treated for thrush, as it
doesn't hurt to treat for thrush even if that's not what it is, as she said
I could use vinegar and water... I have a reaction to the mini-pill I'm
currently taking OR some sort of skin problem showing up, something like
eczema. I am going to call the pedi on Monday and see if I can get into the
breastfeeding clinic and I will wait for the LLL lady to get the info for
physicians that deal ONLY with breastfeeding, as she said whatever is going
on with me isn't something that is obvious and common. She figured that
someone who specializes in bfing might take a look and know exactly as
that's what they deal with day in and day out.
I'm not concerned, and when I've called around no one has said that there's
anything to be worried about at this point (I'm not in pain, DD's not in
pain, DD's still eating, happy and content, etc) and Monday morning is
alright to wait until, as I've had this for a little while and doesn't seem
to get any better, nor does it seem to get any worse.

Old January 27th 07, 08:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Me Myself and I

"Leslie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Even though it's not really hurting you, that is what thrush LOOKS
like. I'd treat for thrush and see if that helps.

Leslie

Yep that's what my thrush looked like too, before the pain inside the nipple
started. They were bright red.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
I am very polite and say "Ank Ooooooo" whenever I'm given something.

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Old January 28th 07, 12:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Even though it's not really hurting you, that is what thrush LOOKS
like. I'd treat for thrush and see if that helps.

I'd probably say the same, with the proviso that if initial treatment brings
no relief, don't push on to stronger treatment etc, I read about this one
case, where a women got reactive dermitis on her nipples, sounds exactly
what yours are like, did everything for thrush, which just made it worse, so
for example, keeping them thoroughly dry when really they needed moisture
and so on. I just spotted the book, that I read this in, the treatment was
cortisone cream and vaseline, so bear it in mind if you treat for thrush and
it has no effect.

Anne

Old January 28th 07, 01:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Serenity

You don't have the correct symptoms for thrush, but it does sound typical of
dermatitis, or the beginnings of nipple excema.
Did you introduce Ovol 7-10 days ago?
It sounds like something is having an effect.
Another thought, even if you didn't buy a new product, the regular
manufacturer could have changed formulation.
Also, no hair dye recently or anything like that?

Serenity, IBCLC

Helpful website:
http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org....ion/thrush.php

Old January 28th 07, 06:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Serenity" wrote in message
You don't have the correct symptoms for thrush, but it does sound typical
of dermatitis, or the beginnings of nipple excema.
Did you introduce Ovol 7-10 days ago?

Oh! You know what? I think that could be it!
It's been the last 2 or so weeks (maybe half a week before I noticed this)
that DD2 has become quite the little brat at night. She was crying and
crying for unknown reasons a couple weeks ago and it was after midnight that
I put her in her car seat and off we went to the 24h drug store to find some
Ovol or gripe water, and at that point, the pharmacist recommended the Ovol
over the gripe water for DD's age.
I had used Ovol with all the others when they were babies, also breastfed
them all as well at the same time there was Ovol, yet nothing like this so I
didn't even think about it. Maybe the Ovol could have changed or something?
I'll check that link out at the bottom when I have a chance. I just came
for a quick catchup but we're just getting ready to walk out the door.
I think that Ovol is DEFINITELY something for me to consider and look into!
Thanks!

Old January 29th 07, 12:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

-Only one 1 perscription, and it's the Micronor (sp?) mini-pill, and have
taken this nightly since shortly after the beginning of Jan
-Noticed this nipple thing for 7-10 days
-No bleeding, just looks like it should be bleeding or had recently been
bleeding, but hasn't
-Fine layer of skin on the nipple only that is peeling a bit

I've had similar symptoms while nursing during pregnancy. I'm
wondering if the hormonal changes from the mini-pill could also lead
to this?

--Betsy

Old January 29th 07, 12:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"betsy" wrote in message
ups.com...

-Only one 1 perscription, and it's the Micronor (sp?) mini-pill, and have
taken this nightly since shortly after the beginning of Jan
-Noticed this nipple thing for 7-10 days
-No bleeding, just looks like it should be bleeding or had recently been
bleeding, but hasn't
-Fine layer of skin on the nipple only that is peeling a bit

I've had similar symptoms while nursing during pregnancy. I'm
wondering if the hormonal changes from the mini-pill could also lead
to this?

--Betsy

I've never taken this mini-pill ever before. This is the first time I've
ever had it and been on it.
Don't scare me with the similar symptons while nursing during pregnancy!
This better not be the case for me, as I would be fairly upset! LOL
This lady is looking into possible side effects from the mini-pill. After
it was brought up, though, I do wonder if it could possibly be because of
the Ovol?

Old January 29th 07, 06:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

On Jan 28, 4:43 pm, "xkatx" wrote:
"betsy" wrote in oglegroups.com...

[...]

Yes, it could be. The inactive ingredients could even have changed
since you used it with your others.

--Betsy