Pepsi admits Aquafina comes from tap water

Old August 12th 07, 05:51 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,sci.med,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine,misc.headlines
Jan Drew

Default Pepsi admits Aquafina comes from tap water

http://www.newstarget.com/z021962.html
NewsTarget.com printable article
Originally published August 2 2007
Pepsi admits Aquafina comes from tap water
by Mike Adams

It's a great marketing gimmick: A bottle of water with a clean, blue label
showing images of snow-capped mountains and the claim, "Pure water, perfect
taste." That's the image created by Pepsico's Aquafina brand of water, and
many consumers leap to the incorrect conclusion that Aquafina is sourced
from mountain spring water.

In reality, Aquafina comes from tap water. Yes, the same water you get when
you turn on your kitchen faucet. Of course, Aquafina is filtered, purified
and perhaps even enhanced with trace amounts of added minerals, but it's
certainly not mountain spring water. It's just processed tap water -- the
same stuff that fills your toilet bowl when you flush.

Both the International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) and the FDA believe
there's really no need to require bottled water manufacturers to admit their
products come from tap water. No surprise there -- both these organizations
routinely act to protect the interests of powerful corporations, and when it
comes to bottled water, the biggest companies are often those sourcing the
lowest quality water (such as tap water).

This idea that consumers should not be informed their high-priced bottled
water is really just filtered tap water is consistent with the aims of food,
drug and beverage corporations, who almost universally agree that consumers
should be given less information, not more, about the products they're
swallowing. Over the last several decades, corporations have vigorously
opposed truth in labeling laws and regulations, including those requiring
the labeling of trans fatty acids, sodium content and even ingredients
lists! (If the food corporations had their way, all ingredients would be
considered "proprietary formulas" and not listed on the label at all.)

This bottled water issue brings to light the apparent deceptive practices of
some of the largest suppliers of bottled water products. By avoiding the
honest labeling of the source of their water while relying on snow-capped
mountain imagery, these companies quietly mislead consumers into thinking
their water products are from a pristine, natural source such as a mountain
spring.

CAI pressures PepsiCo to tell the truth
PepsiCo only agreed to tell the truth on their bottled water labels after
being pressured by Corporate Accountability International (CAI), a
non-profit organization that helps protect consumers from corporate abuse.
See their website at http://www.stopcorporateabusenow.org

CAI rallied consumers from around the world to complain to PepsiCo about the
current labeling of Aquafina, and thousands of consumers slammed PepsiCo's
phone lines so hard that the company was forced to shut down call center
operations. CAI told NewsTarget that within 30 minutes after the
call-to-action announcement went live, PepsiCo's consumer phone lines were
no longer being answered and would not allow callers to leave voice mails.
Pepsi executives reportedly held an emergency meeting and made a decision to
add the phrase, "Public water source" to Aquafina labels.

Reluctantly admitting a small part of the truth
Even then, the phrase "public water source" isn't very descriptive. To some
people, the phrase simply implies that Aquafina is itself a public water
source. It's not the same as admitting, "Aquafina comes from tap water,"
which would be a far more honest way to label the product. But PepsiCo seems
to have no interest in advertising the source of their Aquafina product, and
my guess is that the "public water source" text on the label will be really
small and difficult to read. It's much like the labeling of side effects of
prescription drugs: They bury the bad news somewhere that most consumers
won't ever look.

Aquafina is currently the top-selling bottled water brand in the United
States. According to CAI, 4 out of 5 consumers now drink bottled water, and
1 out of 5 drink it as their sole water source! (Gee, that's a lot of
plastic going to landfill, too...)

The bottles used to package bottled water are almost always made from
plastics containing bisphenol-A (BPA), a carcinogenic chemical that often
leaches into the water and gets swallowed by consumers. Click here to read
our articles on BPA, a chemical widely believed to contribute to certain
cancers. This contamination factor, however, is true for all products stored
in plastic bottles, not merely water. Sports drinks, sodas, fruit drinks and
even "healthy" smoothie drinks packaged in plastic all share a common risk
of BPA contamination.

Bottled water vs. public water infrastructure
The widespread shift towards bottled water products is increasingly causing
consumers to lose faith in public water infrastructure, which ultimately
leads to public reluctance to support investment in public water supplies.
This concerns many cities who are worried that a lack of public support will
cause funding for water infrastructure to erode.

These people tend to describe treated municipal water as remarkably pristine
and safe for human consumption. In my opinion, however, tap water should
never be swallowed without filtering it, since tap water contains scary
levels of toxic chemicals such as chlorine and fluoride, a dangerous water
additive chemical often contaminated with arsenic. (Click here to learn the
truth about water fluoridation.)

So I wouldn't drink from the public water supply in the first place, but
neither do I rely on bottled water. I use a water filtration system to clean
tap water before I drink it. (Coincidentally, this is similar to what
PepsiCo does when creating Aquafina water, except PepsiCo uses plastic
bottles, where I only drink out of glass or stainless steel.)

You can get clean public water in places like Hawaii, Oregon and anywhere
that's close to the mountains, but most folks in first world nations are
getting tap water that's far from pristine. The public water infrastructure
in the U.S. may be among the best in the world, but that's not saying much.
I won't even shower in U.S. public water without using a chlorine filter on
my shower head. (Recommended brand: Aquasana at http://www.aquasana.com )

My view on PepsiCo
Since this story has much to do with PepsiCo, I thought I would offer my
personal opinion on this corporation. In my opinion, PepsiCo is a highly
destructive corporation that is partially responsible for obesity, diabetes,
depression and bone disorders among hundreds of millions of people around
the world. Through its aggressive (and deceptive, in my opinion) marketing
campaigns, lack of corporate ethics and ready willingness to exploit human
beings for profit, PepsiCo has risen to be one of the most financially
profitable yet ethically bankrupt organizations on the planet.

If PepsiCo were to disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow, humanity
would be healthier the very next day. PepsiCo's brands include: (followed by
my opinion statement about that particular brand)

Frito-Lay: Dangerous junk food that contributes to obesity, heart disease,
cancer, depression and other serious diseases.

Pepsi-Cola: Toxic beverages that destroy bone mineral density and poison
consumers with chemical sweeteners in diet drinks.

Gatorade: Crap sports drinks that contain artificial colors made from
petrochemical derivatives.

Tropicana: A low-end fruit juice brand engaged in deceptive labeling for
many of its products.

Quaker: This is perhaps the only tolerable brand in the PepsiCo portfolio.
Oatmeal is essentially good for you, although instant oats and all the
sugars found in many oatmeal products make it a rather high-glycemic food
that's not recommended for most people (especially diabetics or obese
people).

Put it all together and you have a collection of some of the least healthy
foods and beverages on the market today. When future historians examine
today's epidemics of obesity and diabetes, they will no doubt scrutinize the
role of companies like PepsiCo and Coca-Cola, both of which are partly to
blame for modern disease epidemics. Both companies, by the way, continue to
engage in routine marketing of junk foods and sodas to children.

Pepsico is a corporation that won't even list the acrylamide content in
their fried foods. Nor will it publicly admit that high-fructose corn syrup
has any link whatsoever to obesity. PepsiCo, in my opinion, is a corporation
living in a deviant reality, unwilling to take responsibility for its role
in poisoning the population through its toxic food and beverage products.

That's my personal opinion of PepsiCo, its brands and its products.
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything made by PepsiCo. I have no desire to
financially reward this company by purchasing its products. If anything, we
should all be boycotting PepsiCo products (and Coca-Cola, for that matter)
and getting our water from somewhere else.

When traveling through airports, of course, I am sometimes forced to buy
Aquafina or Dasani, as nothing else is available. This is the only time
you'll ever see me drinking out of a PepsiCo bottle.

If I were in charge around here, I would immediately ban all advertising of
junk foods, sodas, snack foods, cigarettes, pharmaceuticals and other
harmful substances. It's the only sane thing to do if we care about the
future of our children. Of course, such advertising bans will never actually
take place because corporations run the government. See my CounterThink
Cartoon, Government of the People for a humorous depiction of this current
state of affairs.

And as far as Pepsi's water brand goes, I think it should be renamed to
AquaFib.

Old August 12th 07, 04:17 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
[email protected]

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 04:51:19 GMT, "Jan Drew"
wrote:

http://www.newstarget.com/z021962.html
NewsTarget.com printable article
Originally published August 2 2007
Pepsi admits Aquafina comes from tap water
by Mike Adams

It's a great marketing gimmick: A bottle of water with a clean, blue label
showing images of snow-capped mountains and the claim, "Pure water, perfect
taste." That's the image created by Pepsico's Aquafina brand of water, and
many consumers leap to the incorrect conclusion that Aquafina is sourced
from mountain spring water.

In reality, Aquafina comes from tap water. Yes, the same water you get when
you turn on your kitchen faucet. Of course, Aquafina is filtered, purified

Hopefully removing chlorine and flouride, pesticides and
fertilizers...

and perhaps even enhanced with trace amounts of added minerals, but it's
certainly not mountain spring water.

[...]

Yeahbut... isn't this true of all bottled water not labelled
"spring"? Everything's a marketing gimmick, why pick on Pepsi? The
Dasani blue bottles go much further, if you want to talk marketing.

"Mountain spring water" isn't all it's cracked up to be, either.
Natural water supply - spring or well - can contain dangerous
amounts of some minerals. Look at the flouride poisoning they're
finding in India. Excess iron can be a problem, and not just
because of rust stains on clothing; natural phosporous and sulfur
make the water dangerous in some areas. Furthermore, "spring"
implies surface waters, with dangers of contamination from
fertilizers, pesticides, various components of air pollution. And
even if it's pristine as far as the modern world is concerned, have
all those touting spring water considered deer (frog, snake, bird,
bug...) dung? Rotten leaves? Algae? How many of those complaining
about water not being spring water have ever visited an actual
living spring?

Yes, I'm being a bit facetious. It just goes to show that many who
complain about the misleading trigger terms used by others should
probably look at their own. In that vein, I've purposely stopped my
quote before the inflammatory "...the same stuff that fills your
toilet bowl when you flush." I'm quite sure Pepsi isn't sucking its
water out of toilets, and I find intentional use of such
implications to be below low, negating every other possibly
beneficial thing the writer might have had to say. It makes the
whole article just so much more junk written by another loon, as far
as I'm concerned.

IMO all that doesn't matter much if the end product is polluted by
plastic bottles. And it doesn't take a scientist, inflammatory
"consumer advocate", or maniacal label reader to see and avoid that
danger.

--
It's a Consumer Beware world, baby. ALL the way around.
Old August 12th 07, 08:48 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Robert[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

[...]clip============

No worse than selling bottles of pills that promise weight loss or a
cure for your cold.

Robert

Old August 13th 07, 10:06 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Jan Drew

wrote:

[...]

No one is picking on Pepsie. It is in the news.

[...]

It's not only the bottles, it is the tap water being sold as spring. That
is dishonest.
Both the bottles and the water are polluted.

Old August 13th 07, 10:07 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Jan Drew

"Robert" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

DUH.Wissssssssssssssssssshhh right over your head.

Old August 13th 07, 01:53 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Coleah

wrote:
[...]

I don't drink bottled water so I don't know if Aquafina states on the
label that the water actually 'comes from a spring' or if it is just
the flowery advertizing wording (like 'heavenly chocolate', etc).
Their commercials state that their water goes through 2 purifications
and 5 filtering processes.

Plastic bottles aren't a particular scare for me.
I recall encountering a plastic/water issue in the early 80's while
visiting a historic site in Korea. They had a continuously running
'fountain' of unknown origin, sitting out in the middle of no where.
It had a plastic measuring cup attached to a string, for visitors to
drink from. After observing the line of people all drinking from the
same cup I wondered about germs, and wasn't even bothered by plastic
issues. The people were healthy and didn't have a care.

I think sometimes people worry in excess, about too many issues, to
really enjoy the ride through life. As the saying goes, "You get what
you resist."

Old August 13th 07, 04:02 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Vernono O

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

[...]

Pristine?
ha ha ha ha ha ah

Old August 13th 07, 07:29 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
[email protected]

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:01:16 -0700, "Vernono O" Here @there wrote:

All "natural" water has urine, feces and dead bugs and animals in it.
SO?

So, that's the point. Natural water is no better than purified tap
water, providing certain purification steps are taken on the tap
water. Of course there are no actual facts in the original article,
per normal for Baker, so we don't know what filtering goes on before
tap water becomes Aquafina. Aquafina may well be better than
natural water, at least in terms of bacteria content.

--
First, eliminate the poison.
Old August 13th 07, 07:41 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
[email protected]

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:06:16 GMT, "Jan Drew"
wrote:

It's not only the bottles, it is the tap water being sold as spring.

Does it SAY "spring"? I don't see anyone claiming it does. Dem's
da rules.

That is dishonest.

No more dishonest than Baker's "...the same stuff that fills your
toilet bowl when you flush." Doesn't that strike you as extremely
hypocritical? He's using the same tactics he - and you - are
criticizing in Pepsi, just in reverse.

Nobody gets respect from waging a smear campaign.

In case you're wondering, I have no particular love for Pepsi. I
prefer Pepsi to Coke, but it wouldn't be any skin off my nose if
they went completely bankrupt. What I'm doing is showing my
disrespect for smear journalism - publicly, for those who don't know
it when they see it.

Carol

--
First, eliminate the poison.

Doan admits to lying 0:-] Spanking 0 March 2nd 07 11:37 PM
water cooler, water coolers, water dispenser, water dispensers,bottleless water cooler,bottleless water coolers,bottleless water dispenser,bottleless water dispensers [email protected] Pregnancy 0 January 5th 06 10:14 AM
DCF admits ethics lapses wexwimpy Foster Parents 1 August 15th 04 06:13 PM
DCF admits ethics lapses wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 August 13th 04 10:26 PM
DCF Admits It Broke Policy wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 February 8th 04 08:22 PM