Do kids learn abusive behaviors from parents?

Old June 5th 04, 06:45 AM
Mike

Default Do kids learn abusive behaviors from parents?

I'm sure there's a better place to post this but I just can't find it
right now.

I'm looking for information about children who live with an
emotionally and/or verbally abusive parent. What I'm specifically
looking for is the affects that this kind of abuse can have on
children. Do these children grow up to treat their children the same
way? Can verbal and/or emotional abuse be more, less, or equally as
harmful as physical or sexual abuse?

I recall seeing a movie a few years ago where I believe the man was
emotionally and verbally abusive to his wife. When their son got to be
a teenager he became angry and became abusive to his mother. I believe
it was said at the end of the movie that the son had learned this
behavior from the father. That if the father hadn't been abusive then
the son most likely wouldn't have been abusive either.

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences on this subject that
they'd like to share?
Old June 5th 04, 02:02 PM
Jeff

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
I'm sure there's a better place to post this but I just can't find it
right now.

I'm looking for information about children who live with an
emotionally and/or verbally abusive parent. What I'm specifically
looking for is the affects that this kind of abuse can have on
children. Do these children grow up to treat their children the same
way? Can verbal and/or emotional abuse be more, less, or equally as
harmful as physical or sexual abuse?

Yes, verbal abuse can be has harmful as physical abuse.

Old June 5th 04, 10:07 PM
K, T, E & N

Your local library should have several books on the subject that you can
check out and find what you are looking for.

Kim
om...

Old June 6th 04, 06:19 PM
Denise Clere

well,my 4.5 y.o son hears my husband yell at me , so now he thinks it's OK
for him to yell at me too !!! D
om...

Old June 7th 04, 04:43 AM
Nic

Does anyone have any opinions or experiences on this subject that
they'd like to share?

I think children learn from adults.
My friends mum was always living in a messy house and always yelling F*ck
this and F*ck that, your f*cking hopeless, go to your room, your a b*tch
etc

Now my friend has grown up and her son always hears his mum say F*ck this
and F*ck that, your f*cking hopeless, go to your room, your a b*tch etc My
friend refuses to live in a messy house and is really a clean freak.
She has even tried to cut down her swearing in the last few years but it
still comes out a lot.

My friends, sisters and brothers on the other hand (whom also have grown
up) also swear much much worse and they also live in messy houses. (messier
then what they grew up in)

So I think children learn from adults in something's. Sometimes thou
children hate something so much that they vow not to do it the way they grew
up. (eg friends house is never a mess as she hated living it in whilst
growing up but had no choice but now she does)

I also know of another friend whom spanked her child and then that child
thought that they could spanked smaller children. The mother was at a loss
how to explain that her child isn't allowed to do something yet the mother
was allowed to do it.

Abuse is abuse, doesn't matter how it comes.
So YES, I think children learn abusive behaviours (and swearing) from
parents.

Nic

dh
dd
ds
Malcolm
9 black white stripes
1 fighting fish

Debate on spanking Doan General 0 June 12th 04 08:30 PM
Fighting Over Kids Stepdad1963 General 8 May 5th 04 07:15 PM
WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 06:10 PM
FWD bad judgement or abuse Trunk kids begged to ride Kane General 2 August 5th 03 05:54 PM