flu shot question

Old December 19th 03, 03:14 AM
Mary

Default flu shot question

I know it's a little late to be thinking of a flu shot, but it's sort of
my last chance to get one before starting this next cycle (since you're
not supposed to while in the first trimester). I don't know whether to
get one or not.

I know flu is quite dangerous for pregnant women, and that the earlier
in fetal development you get a high fever, etc., the more dangerous.
But the CDC doesn't recommend it for the general public, and I've never
had one, and is it really a good idea?

However, my real question is: when you get a flu shot, does your body
mount the same quality immune response as when you're exposed to or come
down with the flu? Do you produce immunoglobins that pass into
breastmilk? So if I get a flu shot, does my breastmilk then protect
Sproutkin from getting the flu?

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 21 months

Old December 19th 03, 05:22 AM
AmyAmy4734

[...]

I don't think your body produces the same amount of antibodies that it would if
you actually got the flu. It does "train" your immune system to recognize and
more quickly respond, I think. But I don't think those immunities would be
enough to pass in significant quantity in breast milk. Christina and Patricia
had flu shots. It was highly advised for them -- Christina, because she is
between 6 and 24 months, and Patricia, because she had pneumonia last winter.

And the flu season lasts until well into March or April, from what I've heard,
so even getting a shot now would provide some protection.

But I'm not a medical professional, so you might want to ask a doctor.

Amy
mom to Patricia 5-12-99
Christina 3-21-03
Old December 19th 03, 03:19 PM
Heather

So if I get a flu shot, does my breastmilk then protect
Sproutkin from getting the flu?

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 21 months

I asked an LC this question back in November. She said *maybe*. She
found several studies that have shown that some vaccines given to
mothers provide some protection to the infants. However, she did not
find any studies that used the flu vaccine so should not say whether
it did for certain. The LC felt it was possible. I think nursing is
one of the very best ways to keep a baby hydrated and fluids are very
important when you have the flu. So if baby gets the flu and mom is
nursing, dehydration is one complication baby might avoid. Plus if
mom has had the flu shot, baby may get some protection in addition to
all the other good stuff in breast milk.
Hope this helps. Heather
Old December 19th 03, 03:47 PM
Cheryl S.

"Heather" wrote in message
om...
So if I get a flu shot, does my breastmilk then protect
Sproutkin from getting the flu?

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 21 months

I asked an LC this question back in November. She
said *maybe*. She found several studies that have shown
that some vaccines given to mothers provide some
protection to the infants. However, she did not find any
studies that used the flu vaccine so should not say whether
it did for certain. The LC felt it was possible.

I wonder if it depends on whether it's a live- or killed-virus vaccine?
Intuitively (to me), a live virus vaccine would produce more active
antibodies that could be passed on.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old December 19th 03, 06:59 PM
Akuvikate

Mary wrote in message ...
[...]

I ought to look this up to confirm my memory since it's relevant to so
many questions here lately, but this is what I remember learning: the
antibodies that get passed in breastmilk are IgA antibodies. They are
produced on the mucosal surfaces of GI and respiratory tracts and act
against bugs that hit there. Injectable vaccines trigger IgG
antibodies, and thus those antibodies would not make it into
breastmilk. Presumably the new nasal spray live-virus flu vaccine
(flu mist) works by IgA antobodies, since it acts on the nasal lining.
So if you could get (and were willing to possibly shell out for) flu
mist, that might induce some transmissable antibodies. On a practical
level, that's the one that's more available for people who don't fall
into high-risk categories themselves since injectable flu vaccine is
running short many places (including northern CA).

On the other hand, Sproutkin is in a high-risk category herself
(babies between 6 and 24 months have the same risk of flu
complications as the elderly) so she would definitely have priority to
get the flu shot herself if you wanted to go that route.

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003
Old December 19th 03, 08:10 PM
Lucy

"Mary" wrote in message
I know it's a little late to be thinking of a flu shot, but it's sort of
my last chance to get one before starting this next cycle (since you're
not supposed to while in the first trimester). I don't know whether to
get one or not.

Are flu shots still available in your area?

My daughter had an appointment to get her booster (she had the first shot in
November) the day after Christmas. The doctor's office called me to cancel
it because they are all out of the vaccine and can't get any more.

Lucy

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Dumb first time mom question :) Donna General 7 July 28th 03 03:29 PM