4 year old, not appendicitis? then what is it?

Old August 30th 04, 03:00 PM
Buzz

Default 4 year old, not appendicitis? then what is it?

Friday evening my 4 year old began complaining of abdominal pain.. in
the area of his belly button. At night he was up every hour moaning
and whining from pain. My wife and figured some kind of stomache bug.
He vomited once that night. But by maybe 4am he slept more soundly.
I'm pretty sure he had at least a small bowel movement this night.
The next day, Saturday, he seemed ok, though maybe not eating much.
He held down a few handfuls of Chex and Cheerios. We went to a family
picnic and for the first half, played and had fun. Later in the day
his symptoms came back. He moaned and whined, wanted to lay down,
couldn't get comfortable, and eventually threw up some of the little
food he had at the picnic. It was a a fairly hot and humid day, and he
felt warm, had flushed face and red cheeks, so he may have had a bit
of a fever, but nothing too bad. We didn't have a thermometer, but
all the grandmothers were sure he had at least a low grade fever. When
we got home he threw up a bit more, threw up some children's tylenol.
We called the doctor who said it was likely an intestinal bug of some
kind and unless he gets a bad fever we should ride it out. That
night, he did more tossing and turning, fetal position, tummy hurts.
Sunday morning we went to an urgent care doctor's office. The doctor
there pushed on my son's abdominal area and said it felt soft and
nothing unusual. Not obviously appendicitis. He did a urine test and
nothing was obvious, but something about high keytones... meaning he
was super hungry.... of course. He thought my son's throat might be
red, and did a strep test which came back negative. The 24 hour test
will come back soon. My son never complained about a sore throat or
anything other that the abdominal pain. Sunday day my son was doing
more of the complaining of stomach pain, but he never threw up, and we
tried giving him small amounts of food. No dairy, just easy stuff.
Sunday night (last night) he did more of the same complaining, up
every hour. He hasn't had a bowel movement since the small one Friday
night. This morning he continues to complain. My wife will be taking
him to our pediatrician now that it is Monday... but something tells
me until he has some wicked fever or something very bad happens, the
doctors will just keep telling us there is nothing to do.
What could my son's problem be? I keep asking him if he swallow a
toy, or got hurt. He loves to jump and he his pretty rough... but he
says he hasn't gotten hurt lately. He does have a terrible bruise on
his upper right buttock... but he think he got that from riding a
bigwheel like pedal car. That seems a little odd... but he is kind of
crazy with it... and he is very good at getting hurt and not
complaining... he's kind of a tough guy. Could that bruise be a clue?
I don;t see how... but it is bigger than a half dollar. He hasn't
complained of it and didn't even know it was there. Probably nothing.
He has also been urinating just about ever hour or two in the night...
when he gets up tossing and moaning. He doesn't pee a whole lot,
because he isn't drinking a ton. We ARE working to keep him eating
and drinking some.

How can we diagnose this? Does anyone have a guess at what it might
be. If it was appendicitis... shouldn't it hurt when we press on his
abdomen? I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Buzz
Old August 30th 04, 05:18 PM
CWatters

We ARE working to keep him eating and drinking some.

Sounds like a stomach bug to me. Did the doctors say anything about what to
feed/not to feed? Sometimes giving food only prolongs the problem and the
docs sometimes recommend starving for 24 hours. We've been told before just
to just giving sugared water or even coke cola (believe it or not)....but
ask the doctor before you do this.

Old August 30th 04, 09:48 PM
Advocate147

Buzz,

First be certain it is not appendicitis. or that would require emergency
surgery, I would imagine.
Next, if it is a virus or flu bug, it probably would resolve by itself or a
physician should be consulted.
But if all else is ruled out, and it continues, it may be crohns illness.
Some doctors know it immediately, some do not. it is a strange illness,
manmade, and extremely variable in symptoms.
You may look into the alt.support.crohns.colitis newsgroup for some opinions
there.
My purpose in writing is that if it is crohns, there is a simple solution that
should help your son. Maybe you or the child's father are on an
anti-depressant or some other stimulant. Stimulants act very strangely and
illogically. If someone in a close relationship is taking one, it somehow
transfers to the child in a mind/body connection and whether you are in the
same room or miles apart, the child would be affected.
The layman's theory is on website
http://ascc.healingwell.com/info/gailfaq.htm
strange and almost unbelievable, but if one can relate or pursue it, it will
be the answer for crohns. Of course, continue with the doctor also as there
may an organic cause for the illness.
If it is crohns, ceasing the anti-depressant or stimulant will end your
child's illness is there is no other person on the drug.
Also, natural herbs that have natural stimulants in some will cause crohns, as
can Xanax, Buspar, Depakote, kava kava, st johns wort, etc etc. etc.
Can another relative close to the child be on a stimulants since you speak of a
picnic.
Crohns is a weird illness with a weird cause. no explanation for it.
Try to relate to it. Ony valiium and ativan are harmless drugs in this
respect.

Good Luck
Gail Michael

Old August 30th 04, 09:56 PM
CWatters

"Advocate147" wrote in message

Stimulants act very strangely and
illogically. If someone in a close relationship is taking one, it

somehow
transfers to the child in a mind/body connection and whether you are in

the
same room or miles apart, the child would be affected.

Oh dear, and you were doing so well until that last bit.

Old September 5th 04, 02:22 AM
Advocate147

"Friday evening my 4 year old began complaining of abdominal pain etc etc."
Buzz,

I had sent you a post that perhaps when nothing else is found, that it could
possibly be crohns illness, which covers a ton of symptoms, all passed over by
the docs as nothing unusual. Apparently not appendicitis.
Nothing has been heard from you since.
What was the outcome. Did my post help you at all. The cause mentioned was
a strange one and no one wishes to acknowledge any help, if there was any.
The cause being that someone close to the child was on a stimulant, possibly an
anti-depressant. And the harm done by a mind/body connection transfers to a
vulnerable person, (in this case, the 4 year old) and the harm exists whether
the person on a med is in the same room with the child or far apart.
Something so uncanny, it cannot be explained or even imagined that it could be
so.
I am asking you to please write a post for the benefit of others if that did
solve the problem, or if it did not, to please post that it did not.
Odinarily, lack of feedback has been ignored.. But this is a problem that
MUST be solved, no matter how eccentric it may appear, as it affects too many
children and others also. You will never know how much a response can mean in
trying to curb what is becoming an abnormal and painful world for so many
through the increasing use of stimulants, anti-depressants being the most often
used. Thank you in advance for any help in exposing this mysterious ailment.

Regards
Gail Michael

The link is
http://ascc.healingwell.com/info/gailfaq.htm
And natural herbs w/natural stimulants will cause the same problem, as Xanax,
Buspar, Depakote, Flexeril, kava kava, st johns wort, etc. etc.
Only tranquillizers like Valium or Ativan do no harm to anyone.

And same applies to "Baby has problem with leg" That was a more difficult
problem to determine, but no feedback has been offered in that case either.
Certainly it is not asking too much to know of the success or failure of even
an unlikely remedy.
Old September 14th 04, 07:30 PM
Buzz

Sorry for the delayed response. My son's pain ended up going away
about 3 or 4 days after it started. The doctor, for no reason other
than not having any better solution, prescribed antibiotics. He had 2
or 3 doses when he was all the sudden his normal self... if not with
more energy. The doctor suggested that there was no way the
antibiotics would have worked so quickly, and to stop using them.
My son has been well ever since. No one is on stimulants or
anti-depressants in my immediate family, and I don't no of others in
my local family at this time. I'd have to look into it.

Unfortunately, about a week and a half after my son was good, I
started to get serious abdominal pain. I ended up leaving work in
pretty bad pain, but recovered, left work the next day early in very
bad pain, use hot packs and hot tub, acetomiophen. Sleeping and night
time are the worse. Stayed home the next day using acetominiphen and
hot packs, that night was terrible. Next day stayed home, feeling
better, but had a bad night, hotpacks, tub. Next day was Saturday, no
work, feeling almost completely better in day, but started feeling
worse at night, but better than the past nights. I hadn't had much in
the way of bowel movements (also no vomiting or diarhea at any time...
just abdominal/lower back pain
) so I took some stool softener. Sunday was good both day and night,
Monday I went to work... I must be over it right? At this point it is
about a week since the first pain. Monday night was fine. Today I
went to work... and late morning after a presentation I sat down and
within a few minutes had some kind of hot flash with super bad
abdominal pain following. Seemed worse than ever. I laid down and
felt like it was burning. 5 minutes of laying, I got up thinking the
worse had passed, but within seconds of getting up I needed to lie
down again. 5 mintues later I was able to get up and sit. Within an
hour, the pain subsided, and I was ready for lunch. There has been
some little pains here and there, but now here I am 90% comfortable.

What's up with all that?
I'm headed to the doctor's in an hour.

Buzz

Old September 15th 04, 01:31 AM
Advocate147

Buzz,

Thanks for the reply. No matter it is good to know your son is better.
What I write is strange any way you look at it. Doctor will never agree, but
not always does he find the answer as to what or is the problem. If it is not
organic, I always rule out the stimulant theory. Because that is a very real
possibility when no cause can be found. Of course not always. It's tricky
and yet simple in some ways, because it is not always a constant thing, as a
person is not constant always in using a stimulant. But something to think
about when nothing else fits.
A lot of intuition is required when the obvious symptoms of crohns are absent,
and I will not try to guess what is causing your problem. It may just go away
as it came. At any rate, you have a physician sorting things out.
I am pretty much stuck on my theory and yet have to abandon it when it appears
I am wrong. Nevertheless, it is always with me, as I see so much of the
unexplainable being part of a person's ills, and again it is not always the
case.
Hope you have the answers or better yet, have passed the need for answers.
Regards
Gail
Old September 15th 04, 10:51 AM
CWatters

"Buzz" wrote in message
om...
Sorry for the delayed response. My son's pain ended up going away
about 3 or 4 days after it started.

Unfortunately, about a week and a half after my son was good, I
started to get serious abdominal pain.

What's up with all that?

Just about proves it was a bug.