Name Opinions

Old July 13th 03, 11:23 PM
==Daye==

Default Name Opinions

Hello all...

DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
assocaitions that come to mind with the name.

Boys:
Emerson
Magnus
Elijah

Girls:
Hypatia
Ruby

Thanks!

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 13th 03, 11:40 PM
Jacqui

==Daye== wibbled
Boys:
Emerson
Magnus
Elijah

OK, associations - Ralph Waldo E, M Magnusson, E Wood. Emerson to me
says "surname" first and foremost. Magnus is nice, although it defaults
to association with MM and Mastermind in the UK that isn't a
consideration anywhere else AFAICS! Elijah - love this name, and would
have had it on our list except it sounds daft with our surname.

Girls:
Hypatia
Ruby

Like both of these, although I worry that Hypatia would get
mispronounced/misspelled a lot. There's also a putative "witchcraft"
association for some people (Hypatia of Alexandria, a philosopher
killed by monks).

Jac
Old July 13th 03, 11:45 PM
==Daye==

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:40:29 +0000 (UTC), Jacqui
wrote:

There's also a putative "witchcraft"
association for some people (Hypatia of Alexandria, a philosopher
killed by monks).

Being Pagan, the witchcraft associations don't bother me.
Hypatia of Alexandria is one of the associations that we like
about the name.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 13th 03, 11:59 PM
AGreen1209

Boys:
Emerson
Magnus
Elijah

I'm partial to Elijah, which brings up connotations of my adorable three year
old son Elijah. :-)

Girls:
Hypatia
Ruby

Don't really like either, but would take Ruby over Hypatia. Hypatia sounds
like a disease to me, though, no offense.

Amanda

Old July 14th 03, 03:51 AM
Nina

I like Emerson, and Elijah. I dont really like the girl names. Ruby reminds
me of old country women and Magnus of thicknecked men built like bulls. Of
course I am in the US so the associations are different.
Hmm, actually Hypatia is intersting but I'd suggest it w/a more conventional
middle name in case the child grows weary of having such a different name.

#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Old July 14th 03, 04:13 AM
RLK

I personally like the name Manus. I am not sure if it is a derivative of
Magnus.

From the list, I choose Elijah or Hypatia. Compared to Jayan, they seem
quite complementary. The other names seem a bit "common".

Momma to Jayan

Old July 14th 03, 05:56 AM
Cheryl

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:23:57 +1000, ==Daye==
wrote:

Hello all...

DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
assocaitions that come to mind with the name.

Boys:
Emerson
Magnus
Elijah

I know a girl named Emerson. It also sounds more like a surname
than a first name (much like any name that ends in "son" actually).

Girls:
Hypatia
Ruby

You would run into trouble with Hypatia in Australia I think. Have
you got any male friends with teenage senses of humour to run these
names past? That's what I did and it worked really well.

--
Cheryl

DS#1 (Mar 99), DS#2 (Oct 00)
DD born 30 Jul 02

Old July 14th 03, 08:46 AM
CY

Me too! (Elijah)
"Laurie" wrote in message

==Daye== wrote in message ...
Hello all...

DH are in the very early stages of coming up with names. We have
a small list that we both like. I was wondering if people could
tell me what you think of the names. Also are there any
assocaitions that come to mind with the name.

Boys:
Emerson
Magnus
Elijah

Girls:
Hypatia
Ruby

Thanks!

I'm afraid the only name I remotely like on your list is Elijah. Sorry,

that
wasn't much help.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 27 months
and Christopher, 12 weeks

*This email address is now valid*
--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au

Old July 14th 03, 10:00 AM
Alicia Elliott

Hi there Daye, you have some very interesting names chosen there. Do you
have an interest in ancient Rome by any chance?
My humble opinion:

Emerson-sounds like a surname to me, plus I can see it being shortened to
Emmy.
Magnus-not my style, it sounds a bit pompous
Elijah-LOVE this name, it sounds musical and not too common. Of course, one
can't help but think of Elijah Wood from the Lord of the Rings fame. But I
liked the name long before he became famous.

Hypatia-again not my style, I went to school with a girl named Hermione
(similarly foreign sounding) and she was teased mercilessly. I always felt
so badly for her.
Ruby-Makes me think of an old overweight woman. I had a second aunt named
Ruby with hair on her upper lip and her breasts arrived in the room before
she did. Not too favourable an association.

Good luck to you Daye, I hope you and hubby can come up with something that
appeals to both. : )
-Alicia

#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au