Sudden onset of diarrhea - Milk Allergy?

Old June 6th 04, 02:39 AM
Yan Ping

Default Sudden onset of diarrhea - Milk Allergy?

My daughter is one year old. We introduced her whole milk three days ago.
Today she suddenly developed severe diarrhea (three diarrhea in two hours).
She doesn't have fever, not vomiting, has no pain in her abdomen and is
still active. My question is if this sounds like milk allergy. From what I
read, the milk allergy should happen much fast, one to several hours after
consuming milk. She has had milk for three days already. Is it possible
that she is having food poisoning?
Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Vivian's worried Mom

Old June 6th 04, 03:47 PM
PF Riley

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 01:39:43 GMT, "Yan Ping"
wrote:

My daughter is one year old. We introduced her whole milk three days ago.
Today she suddenly developed severe diarrhea (three diarrhea in two hours).
She doesn't have fever, not vomiting, has no pain in her abdomen and is
still active. My question is if this sounds like milk allergy. From what I
read, the milk allergy should happen much fast, one to several hours after
consuming milk. She has had milk for three days already. Is it possible
that she is having food poisoning?

Was she exclusively breastfed until that point or did she take (and
tolerate) a milk-based infant formula before that?

PF
Old June 6th 04, 06:16 PM
Yan Ping

She was exclusively breastfed, never had formula. I am still breastfeeding
her. One thing I know is that her skin is sensitive to cow milk. If I mix
cereal with cow milk and it comes into contact with her skin, a red rash
appears right away. It disappears after I wash her face with water.
Her diarrhea hasn't come back since yesterday later afternoon, but yesterday
morning and early afternoon she probably had six diarrhea episodes.
If she is breastfeeding without problem, she couldn't be lactose intolerant,
could she?

Thanks for your help.

Old June 6th 04, 06:19 PM
Yan Ping

I forgot to mention that she also has running nose and cough. But I am not
sure if she is having cold or a symptom of milk allergy.

Vivia\n's mother

Old June 6th 04, 06:57 PM
Jeff

"Yan Ping" wrote in message
I forgot to mention that she also has running nose and cough. But I am not
sure if she is having cold or a symptom of milk allergy.

How have her bowel movements been after the first three diarrheas?

Kids aren't very good at localizing symptoms. So if she has a virus, she
could get runny nose, cough, and diarrhea. I would stop the milk for a few
days and introduce it slowly.

How does she do with cheese and other dairy products? Is she on any
antibiotics?

Jeff

Vivia\n's mother

Old June 6th 04, 11:52 PM
Yan Ping

She just had her first bowel movement in the 24 hours since her last
diarrhea. It looked normal.

I wasn't able to get her eat cheese, she is not interested. I tried yogurt
and she didn't like it either. If she gets yogurt on her face, her skin gets
rash just like when she gets milk on her face. The rash disappeared after I
washed her face with water.

This was actually the second time we introduced milk. The first time she got
little pimples with white heads in the middle on lower part of her face, but
we were not sure if it is due to milk. This time she didn't get that kind of
reaction.

She is not on antibiotics.

Vivian's Mom

Old June 7th 04, 03:43 AM
Jeff

"Yan Ping" wrote in message
She just had her first bowel movement in the 24 hours since her last
diarrhea. It looked normal.

I wasn't able to get her eat cheese, she is not interested. I tried yogurt
and she didn't like it either. If she gets yogurt on her face, her skin

gets
rash just like when she gets milk on her face. The rash disappeared after

washed her face with water.

This was actually the second time we introduced milk. The first time she

got
little pimples with white heads in the middle on lower part of her face,

but
we were not sure if it is due to milk. This time she didn't get that kind

of
reaction.

She is not on antibiotics.

The plot (and poop) thickens. It could be many things: allergies, milk
protein sensitivities (which are different than allergies) or coincidence. I
would ask her doctor.

Jeff
Vivian's Mom

Old June 12th 04, 08:29 PM
CWatters

"Yan Ping" wrote in message
She just had her first bowel movement in the 24 hours since her last
diarrhea. It looked normal.

Sounds like all ok. At that age any change to diet can sometimes cause a
temporary upset.

possible milk allergy Kumi General 0 June 22nd 04 07:14 AM
anyone dealing with milk protein allergy? jojo General 6 January 7th 04 05:17 AM
camphybacter jejeuni [email protected] Pregnancy 6 October 21st 03 03:46 PM
Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide? Wendy Marsden General 255 October 2nd 03 09:44 PM
Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide? Wendy Marsden Kids Health 253 October 2nd 03 07:44 AM