The name game...and it's challenges...

Old July 14th 03, 06:44 PM
Cheg

Default The name game...and it's challenges...

Hi everyone

My wife an I are expecting in September. The baby's sex will be a surprise
and we're in the process of choosing a name. The challenge here is to find a
name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
language it's pronounced in! We live in Canada, I'm French Canadian and my
name has been mispronounced all my life. My wife's family name is French as
well, and it also has been pronounced every which way but right.

So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy and Maya for a girl
(I like Aïsha too).

Any other names you can come up with? Boy names are harder to find! We're
also very aware of the nickname factor...

Thanks
--
Alex

cheg_uevara"AT"hotmail"DOT"com

Old July 14th 03, 09:11 PM
Leah Adezio

"Cheg" wrote in message
Hi everyone

My wife an I are expecting in September. The baby's sex will be a surprise
and we're in the process of choosing a name. The challenge here is to find

name which can be pronounced right (and spelled easily), no matter what
language it's pronounced in! We live in Canada, I'm French Canadian and my
name has been mispronounced all my life. My wife's family name is French

as
well, and it also has been pronounced every which way but right.

So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy and Maya for a

girl
(I like Aïsha too).

Any other names you can come up with? Boy names are harder to find! We're
also very aware of the nickname factor...

I think Americans are familiar enough with girls' names that end with 'elle'
that both English and French speakers will pronounce them correctly --
Danielle, Janelle, Mirelle, etc. (though French speakers will give the 'J' a
softer sound than English speakers will...but it'll still be recognizable
either way)....Anne (and names that end in 'anne'...Marianne, Alianne,
Julianne), Anna, Claire, would also be good choices since they're not
uncommon in either French or English and there's no major pronounciation
shift.

Boys' names might seem more difficult -- Robert in English will be
pronounced differently than Robert in French, for example.

You might try Stefan for a boy (with a 'ph' - Stephen, English speakers will
pronounce it 'STEE-vehn' but French speakers will pronounce it
'STEH-fan')...but 'Stefan' will get you 'STEH-fan' by either, I'd think).

Hmmm...Daniel would work for either....as will Mark/Marc, Alec, Garth,
Gareth, Luke, Paul.

HTH.

Leah
______
In Memory of David, 11/10/61 - 5/21/03
Beloved Husband, Father, Heart's Companion

Thanks

Old July 14th 03, 09:42 PM
Cheg

"So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy "

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , "Cheg" says...

[...]

Some Canadian provinces with a large Russian or Ukranian population will

wonder
why you named a girl the dimunitive form of the male name Alexandr.

See - it's sure hard to be correct in *every* language ;-)

Banty

cheg_uevara"AT"hotmail"DOT"com

Old July 14th 03, 10:26 PM
Moo

We chose Daniel for exactly this reason--it is spelled the same and pronounced
almost the same in practially every western country.

Old July 15th 03, 03:22 AM
Banty

In article , "Cheg" says...

"So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy "

Ah - gotcha (the boy part, not the Alt+0154 part.)

Then why dont' you name him Alexandr??

Banty

Old July 15th 03, 04:21 AM
Cheg Uevara

'cause that's my name! (Actually, Alexandre)

In article , "Cheg" says...

Old July 15th 03, 04:21 AM
Cheg Uevara

Sasa

"Jon Ericson" wrote in message
"Cheg" writes:

"So far, we have Sasha (not S-a-[Alt+0154]-a!) for a boy "

Enlighten us, please. What letter (or glyph) would result from that
gesture? (In other words, you might as well be speaking Russian as
far as I'm concerned.)

Jon
--
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be
terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with

Old July 15th 03, 04:37 AM
toto

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 03:21:39 GMT, "Cheg Uevara"
wrote:

Sasa

Saša with the accent?

--