Brain Growth, Head Circumference, and Autism

Old July 17th 03, 05:04 PM
Circe

Default Brain Growth, Head Circumference, and Autism

Thought some of you might find this interesting if you haven't already heard
about it.
===========================
Fast brain growth during infancy linked to autism

Last Updated: 2003-07-15 16:00:14 -0400 (Reuters Health)

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Faster than normal brain growth in the first
year of life may signal a risk of autism.

"This dramatic brain growth in early life is the first active
neurodevelopmental process to be discovered in infants with autism," Dr.
Eric Courchesne, from the University of California San Diego, La Jolla, said
in a statement.

The findings are based on a review of medical records from 48 children with
autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which includes autistic disorder and
pervasive developmental disorder. Head circumference measurements were
available for all of the children at birth and for many of the children at
several points during infancy.

As reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association, Courchesne's
team found that ASD patients had significantly smaller head circumference at
birth than did normal children. However, between 1 to 2 months and 6 to 14
months of age, ASD patients experienced a sudden and excessive increase in
head circumference.

Among ASD patients, the brain overgrowth was more pronounced in children
with autistic disorder than in those with pervasive developmental disorder.

"Using our findings as an early indicator of autism, intervention might
begin 2 or 3 years earlier when the brain might be at a more malleable stage
and so, might result in a better outcome for the child," Dr. Courchesne
noted.

In a commentary in the journal, Dr. Janet E. Lainhart, from the University
of Utah in Salt Lake City, says that it is still too early to conclude that
accelerated head growth is a "universal feature of autism." She notes that
larger studies are needed to confirm the findings.
===================

As the mother of two gigantic-headed boys (one of whom is nearly 6yo and
about as unautistic as one could imagine!), I must admit I found this
research interesting and a tiny bit alarming. Fortunately, my younger boy
(whose head was actually MRI'd to rule out hydrocephalus, it's so big)
doesn't *quite* seem to fit the pattern described as his head was larger
than average at birth and just got *more* larger than average. And at least
at this point, he seems *way* too sociable, talkative, and "normal" to be
autistic, though I realize many people said that about children later
diagnosed with autism.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"How a seller can improve their home's value" -- newspaper headline

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

Old July 17th 03, 05:07 PM
Circe

Hmmmm, the original post appears to be truncated and has an attachment. I'm
resending the full text below:

Old July 17th 03, 06:42 PM
Denise

"Circe" wrote in message
Thought some of you might find this interesting if you haven't already

heard
about it.
===========================
Fast brain growth during infancy linked to autism

I just read that the other day. My middle DD (the one with ASD) had a very
large head as a baby.

Old July 17th 03, 10:00 PM
Mary Gordon

What can I tell you. I have three kids. The oldest (boy) and the
youngest (girl) are huge kids (tall, robust, big feet, big heads that
don't fit in kids sized hats, wide shoulders). The middle kid (boy) is
like a jockey compared to his sibs. Tiny, skinny, slender build,
delicate boned, small head. And he 's the one with the autism spectrum
issues.

Mary G.