Getting pregnant while nursing

Old February 9th 04, 07:04 PM
Kari

Default Getting pregnant while nursing

No Im not, I dont think. I dont even want to go there just yet. But, has
this happened to anyone here? I just dont know how to tell aside from taking
a test, which I dont want to yet (dont have the nerve, lol)

Are the symptoms the same if you're nursing? I have not had AF return so I
have no idea if I've O'ed or not. I've been sick, as in morning sickness,
all day sickness and nothing sounds good to me. Out of the 3 pregnanices, I
only had really bad nausea with the last. I had breast tenderness with all 3
(dont now) but I do have that gut feeling, which is scaring me the most. Xan
man still nurses exclusively, 'round the clock so the chances are slim
right? Please?

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (4) and Xander (4 mos)

Old February 9th 04, 07:20 PM
Circe

Kari wrote:
No Im not, I dont think. I dont even want to go there just yet.
But, has this happened to anyone here?

Yes. Twice g! But in both cases, I was well past 4 months postpartum (15
months the first time, which was an oopsie, and 22 months the secone time,
which was on purpose) and my periods had returned (though they started out
really wacky).

Are the symptoms the same if you're nursing?

IME, yes. In fact, I knew I was pregnant with #2 because I started having
the same off-color indigestion symptoms I'd had at about 6 weeks along with
#1. But again, I was so far postpartum compared to you, I have no idea how
that would translate to your situation.

I had breast tenderness with all 3 (dont now) but I do have
that gut feeling, which is scaring me the most. Xan man still
nurses exclusively, 'round the clock so the chances are slim right?
Please?

Slim, probably, but not none. It's pretty rare to get pregnant in the first
6 months after giving birth if you're nursing exclusively and haven't had a
period--only happens to about 1-2% of women. Unfortunately, the only way to
know definitively whether you are in the 98-99% or the 1-2% is to test,
since if you wait until your period comes back, you could be waiting a long
time.

Good luck and HTH!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [23 mos.] mom)

Financing for "5" years -- car dealership sign

Mommy: I call you "baby" because I love you.
Julian (age 4): Oh! All right, Mommy baby.

Old February 9th 04, 07:53 PM
Kari

Slim, probably, but not none. It's pretty rare to get pregnant in the
first
6 months after giving birth if you're nursing exclusively and haven't had

period--only happens to about 1-2% of women. Unfortunately, the only way

know definitively whether you are in the 98-99% or the 1-2% is to test,
since if you wait until your period comes back, you could be waiting a

long
time.

Good luck and HTH!
--
Be well, Barbara

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better I think if this nausea keeps
up though, I will take a test just to be sure one way or the other. I just
cannot imagine it right now. We want a 4th but not quite this soon!!

Kari

Old February 10th 04, 07:28 AM
A&G&K

"Kari" wrote in message
No Im not, I dont think. I dont even want to go there just yet. But, has
this happened to anyone here? I just dont know how to tell aside from

taking
a test, which I dont want to yet (dont have the nerve, lol)

Are the symptoms the same if you're nursing? I have not had AF return so I
have no idea if I've O'ed or not. I've been sick, as in morning sickness,
all day sickness and nothing sounds good to me. Out of the 3 pregnanices,

only had really bad nausea with the last. I had breast tenderness with all

3
(dont now) but I do have that gut feeling, which is scaring me the most.

Xan
man still nurses exclusively, 'round the clock so the chances are slim
right? Please?

Kari
mom to Kaylie (8) Noah (4) and Xander (4 mos)

Well, I'm still bf my 18 mo, but its not quite the same as getting pg 4 mo
pp.
I did get AF back at 4 mo pp, even though I exclusively bf DD for 6 mo.
My breasts are a bit more tender than normal but not too bad ... its the
hurling breakfast every day which is the worst .... and trying to distract
DD whilst hurling

Probably a slim chance, but take a hpt to be sure.

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old February 10th 04, 12:58 PM
Nancy P

"Kari" wrote in message
No Im not, I dont think. I dont even want to go there just yet. But, has
this happened to anyone here? I just dont know how to tell aside from

taking
a test, which I dont want to yet (dont have the nerve, lol)

I did, but my cycles had returned.

Are the symptoms the same if you're nursing?

My symptoms were more intense with the second pregnancy, maybe because I was
nursing, maybe because every pregnancy is different. Very early on, my milk
supply diminished quite a bit, so I could see a difference in my daughter's
nursing (trying harder, etc).

Good luck,
Nancy

Old February 10th 04, 03:13 PM
Kari

I did, but my cycles had returned.

Are the symptoms the same if you're nursing?

My symptoms were more intense with the second pregnancy, maybe because I

was
nursing, maybe because every pregnancy is different. Very early on, my

milk
supply diminished quite a bit, so I could see a difference in my

daughter's
nursing (trying harder, etc).

Good luck,
Nancy

Thanks, this is good to hear, lol I have NO supply issues so that makes
me feel tons better.

Kari

Old February 10th 04, 04:03 PM
Sophie

I have a friend who nurses her 5 month old round the clock, about every 3
hrs. She's 5 weeks pregnant, planned. She got AF back after about a month
post-partum. I think she's just a fertile Myrtle cos she got pregnant 6
weeks after having a tube removed and now pregnant again.

Old February 10th 04, 04:41 PM
Kari

"Sophie" wrote in message
I have a friend who nurses her 5 month old round the clock, about every 3
hrs. She's 5 weeks pregnant, planned. She got AF back after about a month
post-partum. I think she's just a fertile Myrtle cos she got pregnant 6
weeks after having a tube removed and now pregnant again.

Oooh, wow. Key word is *planned*, lol! Seriously, I wouldn't be that
upset but I wouldn't be that thrilled either. I haven't had AF return so I
guess it's probably not likely that Im actually pregnant. I feel less queasy
today and Im so happy about that. That was the worst part of being pregnant,
and I was soooo not ready to go through 3 mos of sickness again. Not 'til Im
ready anyway

I think we're both pretty fertile too, and that used to be my Grandmother's
nickname - fertile Myrtle. She had 13 pregnancies (mom's side) and my dad
came from a family of 10.

Kari

Old February 10th 04, 05:08 PM
Sophie

"Kari" wrote in message

"Sophie" wrote in message
I have a friend who nurses her 5 month old round the clock, about every

3
hrs. She's 5 weeks pregnant, planned. She got AF back after about a

month
post-partum. I think she's just a fertile Myrtle cos she got pregnant 6
weeks after having a tube removed and now pregnant again.

Oooh, wow. Key word is *planned*, lol!

Well I think she's nuts but then I remember C was only one month older than
her baby but C slept through 10-12 hrs every night. Her son doesn't. Plus
she has an 8 yr old with Downs Syndrome and other factors that make having a
baby now crazy.

Seriously, I wouldn't be that
upset but I wouldn't be that thrilled either. I haven't had AF return so I
guess it's probably not likely that Im actually pregnant. I feel less

queasy
today and Im so happy about that.

Awful feeling, especially when you have to change poopy diapers - lol.

That was the worst part of being pregnant,
and I was soooo not ready to go through 3 mos of sickness again. Not 'til

Im
ready anyway

Yep she is exhausted cos of the baby and being pregnant, and has that awful
metallic taste all the time. That's how she knew, feeling nauseous again.

I think we're both pretty fertile too, and that used to be my

Grandmother's
nickname - fertile Myrtle. She had 13 pregnancies (mom's side) and my dad
came from a family of 10.

Kari

Wow, 13 and 10. Wild. No thanks

Old February 10th 04, 08:17 PM

[...]