math facts practice is boring

Old January 7th 08, 10:59 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

Default math facts practice is boring

In article ,
"Stephanie" wrote:

Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills. They
make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while doing
flash cards.

DS1's teacher had a fun game where children got to roll two dice and sum the
two numbers. Whoever called out the answer first got to roll the dice next.
She also did it with subtraction. You could modify this for one child.

Involve whatever your child's interests are and don't practice for too long.
Five or ten minutes of work (depending on other homework) is plenty unless
your child is a lot older than i think.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old January 7th 08, 01:39 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stephanie" wrote:

[...]

One might say we don't do homework. Or all our work is done at home! I think
this would be a fun game to play for pennies or toothpicks since it would
just be the two of us. Later, when we are working on multiplication, maybe I
will actually learn multiplication facts myself! I love this game.

Old January 7th 08, 01:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

"Stephanie" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts? We have math
blaster which is a ton of fun and very helpful. But I am looking for
addition and subtraction facts to 12 to practice on. And I HATE drills.
They make me think of a friend of mine whose father screamed at him while
doing flash cards.

Thanks everyone! I am overjoyed.

Old January 7th 08, 02:45 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Jan 2, 3:30*pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts?

This weekend my son was dragging his feet while doing some math
problems, so I challenged him to a "race" to see who could finish the
worksheet faster (I would copy the questions to a separate piece of
paper). I let him win both races, by a small margin (I was 5/6 done
when he finished). He worked much faster when racing, without losing
accuracy, and he was excited after winning. Especially when teaching
boys, I think competition is often a good motivator.
Old January 7th 08, 02:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Beliavsky" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 3:30 pm, "Stephanie" wrote:
Anyone know of any fun games to play to practice math facts?

This weekend my son was dragging his feet while doing some math
problems, so I challenged him to a "race" to see who could finish the
worksheet faster (I would copy the questions to a separate piece of
paper). I let him win both races, by a small margin (I was 5/6 done
when he finished). He worked much faster when racing, without losing
accuracy, and he was excited after winning. Especially when teaching
boys, I think competition is often a good motivator.

I set the timer and she sees how fast she can do it. Her record for the
maths homework is just under 90 seconds.
Debbie

Old January 7th 08, 03:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Here are some suggestions. My grandfather, who taught math for many
years, used them with me, and they were fun. (Maybe it was my
grandfather who was fun ...) Here goes:

Practice "skip counting". That is, count by twos, by threes, by fours,
etc, and see how fast you and your child can count this way. My
grandfather's goal was always 10 numbers in 10 seconds. Although this
doesn't drill math facts explicitly, it does help because your child
will know which numbers "fit" and which don't.

Play "buzz", or "bizz buzz" or "fizz bizz buzz". In buzz, using
"threes" the first person says 1, the next says 2, and the next says
BUZZ, because the next number is divisible by three or contains the
digit three in the number. So a counting sequence would be
1, 2, buzz, 4, 5, buzz, 7, 8, buzz, 10, 11, buzz, buzz, 14 ...

In fizz bizz buzz, fizzes are for 3's, bizzes are for 5's and buzzes are
for 7's, so the sequence goes:

1, 2, fizz, 4, bizz, fizz, buzz, 8, fizz, bizz, 11, fizz, fizz, buzz,
fizzbizz, 16 ...

Another game which will help your child memorize math facts is Krypto.
your purchase a Krypto deck which contains numbered cards. Using 5
cards dealt to you, and the four arithmetic operations, try to come up
with an answer equal to a card laid on the table. A similar game called
"24" can be found online. Same basic principal, but the goal is always
to add up to 24.

There is decent software for sale and free on the Internet that drill
math facts, sometimes making the drill into a game. (My grandfather
never met the Internet, but he would have loved some of these games.)

My sons have done "mad minutes" in school, where they are given 50 math
facts on a worksheet and see how long it takes to finish the sheet.
There are books of mad minutes which sensibly start with easier facts
(such as mostly adding 1 or 2 to a number) and move on to harder facts
(such as adding 7 to a number). The mad minutes are do not combine
different operations on the same sheet.

I hopes some of these suggestions work for you,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old January 7th 08, 09:27 PM posted to misc.kids
Narelle

"Stephanie" wrote:

[...]

There are a few variations to the dice game as well: eg using dice with
numerals, and ones with dots, or a combination of both adds a new
challenge. Using dominoes or manipulatives (such as the toothpicks you
mentioned), or playing snakes and ladders using 2 dice suddenly turns it
into a completely different game for them. Counting eggs or counters:
eg show 12 eggs in a carton; take some out and show these. Ask how many
are left in the carton.

Discussing with your children *how* they got the answer will also show
you a bit of their learning style; eg, some kids just "see" it, some
will have used their fingers to count etc.

Narelle
Old January 7th 08, 10:47 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

www.rustyandrosy.ca/blog lists some FREE, fun and simple reading, math
and science activities you can do at home with your preschooler!
These activities promote early reading, math and science concepts any
preschooler can use - whether they are homeschooled or not!
Old January 7th 08, 10:52 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article ,
says...

I wonder if "jessicacole" has her search feature set up for "maths". Maybe
avoiding these durn commercial posts would be a reason to go to that
convention...

Old January 7th 08, 11:02 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

I found a website I like using for new ideas with my neices and
nephews and thought I'd share. I'm new to this "posting thing" so
please let me know if I've included myself on something I shouldn't
have.