costochondritis in pregnancy

Old May 27th 04, 04:19 AM
Rob and Jami

Default costochondritis in pregnancy

I have had this bruise like feeling on my upper rib for about two weeks,
today it started hurting really bad and I decided to call the doctor. She
said I have costochondritis and gave me tylonal 3. It doesn't hurt that bad
now... I don't think I'll be taking the tylonal (she said codine was ok in
pregnancy) Just wondering if anyone else had this and knew what caused it??

TIA
Jami
Wifey to Rob 3-9-2002
Mommy to Jordan 7-30-2001
Future mommy to "princess" edd 8-21-2004

Old May 28th 04, 06:13 PM
M Wayne

I have very similar pain in the upper ribs, but I thought it was just my
baby and uterus pushing upwards -- I'm due in 8-9 weeks, so he must be
running out of room in there. I hadn't heard of costochondritis, and
honestly, my pain hasn't been so bad that I've wanted to take anything for
it. It's more annoying than anything.

Old May 29th 04, 03:25 AM
Em

"Rob and Jami" wrote in message
I have had this bruise like feeling on my upper rib for about two

weeks,
today it started hurting really bad and I decided to call the doctor.

She
said I have costochondritis and gave me tylonal 3. It doesn't hurt

that bad
now... I don't think I'll be taking the tylonal (she said codine was

ok in
pregnancy) Just wondering if anyone else had this and knew what

caused it??

I have chronic costochondritis. It seemed to go into "remission" of
sorts though when I was pregnant. Anyway, costochondritis is
inflammation in your chest wall where the rib bones meet your breastbone
(the costochrondial joints). It is similar to arthritis. It can be
caused by various things and a lot of times the cause is unknown (in
chronic cases, like mine, it is considered an autoimmune disorder). For
some people it is caused by a blow to the chest or some other kind of
"trauma" to the chest wall. Many people confuse the symptoms with a
heart attack and go to the ER.

I've become fairly accustomed to the pain and rarely take anything for
it. I was offered steroid injections, but declined. If it gets really
bad, sometimes I will take an advil or tylenol.

Best wishes! I hope it does not recur for you, as it can be very
annoying!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 8 months old