NIP in church? Appropriate?

Old September 30th 06, 03:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default NIP in church? Appropriate?

I was shocked when I read on another chat board a woman - a young
woman, in her 20s, who says she NIPs herself - stated that it was
inappropriate in church and was offended when a woman did. And what's
more, many people agreed it was the one place where it wasn't
appropriate.

I'd think it was the one place that was most appropriate! Madonna and
babe and all that. Even in the few very conservative Catholic churches
I've been in, such a scene is welcomed. I'm beginning to think it
really is all the old folks who support NIP more than the young ones.

Old September 30th 06, 05:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

cjra wrote:

I was shocked when I read on another chat board a woman - a young
woman, in her 20s, who says she NIPs herself - stated that it was
inappropriate in church and was offended when a woman did. And what's
more, many people agreed it was the one place where it wasn't
appropriate.

I'd think it was the one place that was most appropriate! Madonna and
babe and all that. Even in the few very conservative Catholic churches
I've been in, such a scene is welcomed. I'm beginning to think it
really is all the old folks who support NIP more than the young ones.

Absolutely appropriate. Jesus was breastfed.

-- Anita --
Old September 30th 06, 01:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
V.

"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was shocked when I read on another chat board a woman - a young
woman, in her 20s, who says she NIPs herself - stated that it was
inappropriate in church and was offended when a woman did. And what's
more, many people agreed it was the one place where it wasn't
appropriate.

I'd think it was the one place that was most appropriate! Madonna and
babe and all that. Even in the few very conservative Catholic churches
I've been in, such a scene is welcomed. I'm beginning to think it
really is all the old folks who support NIP more than the young ones.

Well, I'm pretty conservative about NIP (find a quiet corner, cover up, etc)
and I've NIP in a church before. We were at a Catholic wedding, with a mass
and communion for 200+ people (think REALLY long ceremony). I took DD out
into the foyer to walk around, then into the "crying babies room" to nurse,
then back to our pew and nursed her there later. (REALLY long ceremony).
Never felt that it was inappropriate, especially since it was the best way
to keep the baby quiet! Of course, I was sitting between my husband and a
friend, had there been a stranger nearby I might have felt differently. I
also wore a wrap front dress that was easy to nurse in, and used a sling for
additional support (no pillows!) and cover.
Slings have made NIP so much easier for me, not just for modesty but really
because I don't do well with positioning without pillows, sling, armrest,
etc. Combination of heavy baby and big boobs I guess!

Amy

Old September 30th 06, 04:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Melissa

For me it wasn't a matter of modesty but a matter of how was Connor
reacting. If he was going to be calm and nurse nicely, I'd stay put (like I
did at church during a couple of funerals). If however he was going to have
one of his suck pull off scream, nurse but also pull at all of Mommy's
clothes, hair, whatever nursing sessions I'd take him out to our mother's
lounge.

I've gotten a few looks when nursing in church and even a few comments but
after a few comments back to them they usually back off. At first I was a
bit nervous about "talking back" especially because my hubby is an
eclesiastical leader (we're LDS, aka Mormon and he's the bishop) but I've
found gentle ways to basically say mind your own business and lately have
seen MORE women nursing in church!

Melissa
Mom to Connor born 05/24/05

Old September 30th 06, 05:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Erin

I guess a hungry baby contributes to the reverent atmosphere. I'm
sorry. I've been reading post after post about NIP and for me it comes
down to one thing: the child is hungry! How dare anyone think of their
own comfort when a baby just wants to be fed? I guess I just don't get
it.

I am defensive because DH stopped me recently from NIP. He says he
felt like we were in a very exposed part of the restaurant. I couldn't
help but think he sounded like a moron. To my own disappointment, I
left and went home to nurse. DD cried the whole way home and I felt
like the worst mommy in the world.

Old September 30th 06, 05:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KR

Jesus also ate breakfast every day, but I wouldn't sit in church and
eat my bagel and coffee... I'm not against nursing in church, but the
reason I wouldn't do it is because then I couldn't stand up for the
psalms and such and the rest of the congregation would. When I've had
to breastfeed during a service I would go to the nursery and do so. It
is just a personal preference, I nip anywhere else.

KR

Old October 1st 06, 07:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

cjra wrote:
I was shocked when I read on another chat board a woman - a young
woman, in her 20s, who says she NIPs herself - stated that it was
inappropriate in church and was offended when a woman did. And what's
more, many people agreed it was the one place where it wasn't
appropriate.

I'd think it was the one place that was most appropriate! Madonna and
babe and all that. Even in the few very conservative Catholic churches
I've been in, such a scene is welcomed. I'm beginning to think it
really is all the old folks who support NIP more than the young ones.

ITA with you. We sit in the third pew, and I've never left Mass to
nurse. Lorelei is almost two, and I only recently started discouraging
her from nursing in church (still would if she really needed it as
opposed to just being bored).

Leslie

Old October 2nd 06, 01:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
hobbes

"Melissa" wrote in message
. ..
For me it wasn't a matter of modesty but a matter of how was Connor
reacting. If he was going to be calm and nurse nicely, I'd stay put (like

did at church during a couple of funerals). If however he was going to

have
one of his suck pull off scream, nurse but also pull at all of Mommy's
clothes, hair, whatever nursing sessions I'd take him out to our mother's
lounge.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I generally feel free to BF
anywhere, given that DS is going to do so discreetly. But if he's in one of
those moods where it will be noisy, or if he'll be pulling off my clothes
(or disengaging and leaving me hanging out to dry) , and therefore causing a
distraction, I'll take him out to the foyer or to the nursery. In most
places, the noise wouldn't be an issue, but in the middle of a church
service, I do my best to keep my entire family reasonably quiet so that we
won't disturb the worship of the people around us.

--
Jodi, sahm to
Oliver (5 years)

Old October 2nd 06, 04:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"cjra" wrote and I snipped:
I was shocked when I read on another chat board a woman - a young
woman, in her 20s, who says she NIPs herself - stated that it was
inappropriate in church and was offended when a woman did. And what's
more, many people agreed it was the one place where it wasn't
appropriate.

I'd think it was the one place that was most appropriate! Madonna and
babe and all that. Even in the few very conservative Catholic churches
I've been in, such a scene is welcomed. I'm beginning to think it
really is all the old folks who support NIP more than the young ones.

If you think it's appropriate to give a baby a bottle in your church, then
it's appropriate to nurse a baby. That is the way that baby eats. They
can't wait, and the mother shouldn't be expected to miss the service by
leaving or not attending. NIP should be as discrete as possible in this
case.

But I've run into the same attitude. If it was me, I'd ignore the uptight.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old October 2nd 06, 04:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PattyMomVA

"Melissa" wrote and I snipped:
I've gotten a few looks when nursing in church and even a few comments but
after a few comments back to them they usually back off. At first I was a
bit nervous about "talking back" especially because my hubby is an
eclesiastical leader (we're LDS, aka Mormon and he's the bishop) but I've
found gentle ways to basically say mind your own business and lately have
seen MORE women nursing in church!

Wow, good for you. Your DH isn't the only one leading!

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Choosing my religion Fred Goodwin, CMA General 119 September 24th 06 03:19 PM
Choosing my religion Fred Goodwin, CMA Solutions 119 September 24th 06 03:19 PM
Tommie is it true that you belong to the Christian Identity movement? Bible John Solutions 5 August 2nd 06 10:52 AM
A test Mark Probert Kids Health 0 January 13th 06 04:51 PM
Letterese covert-surrogate Attorney Robert Amidon for The Church of Scientology [email protected] General 0 February 9th 05 07:35 PM