No more watching labor shows!! (long)

Old May 17th 04, 06:25 PM
Fer

Default No more watching labor shows!! (long)

So here I was on after midnight on Friday watching Junior with Arnold
Schwarzenegger, getting a kick out DH commenting on just *how* would a man
with no uterus have contractions and I noticed that I was have some pretty
strong BHs. After a few pretty close together I really took notice. So
down went a ton of water and I hopped in a warm bath. Neither seemed to do
anything. Poor DH started to get worried especially when he realized that I
was having them every three minutes. At this point they had been going on
for over a hour lasting about 30 secs to a minute but not overly painful. I
figured going to sleep might relax me enough for them to fizzle out so I
sent DH off to sleep and I tried lying down. No go! They were far more
uncomfortable in that position so I just tried to relax the best I could.
Finally around three in the morning I bit the bullet and phoned my MW to let
her know what was going on. So no surprise we were off to the hospital!

My BP was a little elevated the baby's HR was fine and yes I was having
contax every 2-3 minutes. After having a chat with her she checked me and I
was 2 cent and 75% effaced. Erring on the side of caution it was decided
that I needed a transfer so an IV was started as well as antibiotics. (Our
local hospital prefers not having babies until 35 weeks unless necessary,
they just are not set up for them) Better care for the babe was what was
important but it meant that I could not have my MW there, no privileges,
although she made it clear that if I went into full labor to call if I
wanted her there in an unofficial capacity. Another quick internal (no
change) and off I went in an ambulance (for the first time) and finally 45
minutes later I was at the bigger hospital. After all the same questions
yes yes I was having regular contractions (god they love those monitors) and
was told that it would not be stopped at this stage. Knowing that at 34
weeks and a proper NICU unit things would be ok I had to ask if I went into
true active labor could I get off the damn machines?!! I had been
'strappped' down for 3+ hours at that point :\ They were hurting more at
that point but I think it had to do with that fact that I had been on my
back for so long.
Overall I really loved the care I had from both hospitals nurses but I had
to comment when two of them were discussing that fact that I was chatting
and joking with them and DH so things couldn't be too bad. Well ....if I had
to deal with full labor why of why would I have an issue with pain already,
my pain management is based on me not drugs, if a had trouble now I was
doomed ! :-D

Anywho another internal was done but a nurse and no progress! Yeah! And
finally was allowed off the machines and was even more pleased to get
settled into a room and truly relax. A nurse (which turned out to be my
fav) and I quickly figured out that the contrax came far more frequently
when I was on the monitor and we kept it off. Hours later the OB saw me and
still no progress (I was only having lighter ones anywhere from 10-20
minutes apart. And jesus did that internal hurt!!! That was my fourth and
had to laugh when a nurse commented that he is 'gentile'! Then why did only
his cause me to have bloody show all that day and some of Sunday?
I was asked to stay over night for observation, god hospitals are boring
especially since everyone else on the floor had newborns!! I was typically
poked and prodded , tested for infections etc and the verdict was... we have
no idea why! I didn't seem to be dehydrated, no infections, my blood work
was fine, protein is still only just +1. So just 7-8 hours of contrax for
the fun of it LOL I have to mention that everyone that dealt with me all
commented that I had to keep that baby in so I could have my homebirth! I
was shocked (they had to read my file since I didn't mention it) and very
pleased that they were all so supportive of it. So I am back at home on
pretty strict BR because too much movement seems to cause sudden BH. And DH
has asked only one thing of me, stop watching those $#%@ baby shows or any
movies with deliveries for at least another 2 weeks LMAO gotta love him

Thanks for reading so far!--?

*keeping my legs crossed for another 2 weeks!*
Jenn
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-34 weeks!

Old May 17th 04, 06:42 PM
Angela Schepers

woah.. sounds like a close call. I'm glad you came out of it well and
that the babe is still baking!

Old May 17th 04, 07:55 PM
Ilse Witch

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:25:11 +0000, Fer wrote:

So I am back at home on pretty strict BR because too much movement seems
to cause sudden BH. And DH has asked only one thing of me, stop watching
those $#%@ baby shows or any movies with deliveries for at least another
2 weeks LMAO gotta love him

LOL!! Crossing fingers that baby stays put another couple of weeks and you
can have your homebirth. And, erm, I can sorta understand why your DH
feels the way he does about watching labour shows on TV..

--
-- I
mommy to DS (22m)

Old May 18th 04, 01:45 AM
Coccinella

Jen,
glad to hear that all was well in the end.
Pampering vibes to you.

Love

Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Alexandra's birth announcement
Fur Babies

Old May 20th 04, 07:40 PM
Crystal Dreamer

Fer wrote:
[...]

snip

Oh geez, how scary! I'm glad things are fine. My husband says the same
thing, no more labor shows. Not even scary movies! LOL

Old May 20th 04, 08:59 PM
Christine

keeping my legs crossed for another 2 weeks!*

That is how it started with me, I =95thought=95 I was having BH for 3
days, until they got so bad on Sat. night..and it was the real thing..

I was early, they think about 3 weeks...but everthing is ok....and I'm
glad you are ok....

KEEP THOSE LEGS CROSSED!